Very cool engineering video..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahahahahahaha

Man is he just unbelievable..
What a brilliant young man..
Somewhere along the way I think I heard / read that he never went back to work
because he makes far more money making these videos..

Check this vid out..
If you're interested in engineering this is super interesting..

Teddy

This conical design will significantly increase the wear of the rails... and the rails will try to roll outward due to the angular loading.

I'm wondering if this isn't a solution, to something that isn't a problem?

Nothing beats Rober's glitter box videos! They have become a standard part of my Christmas season for the last few years.\

I will watch the domino one ASAP because I love domino trails.

This conical design will significantly increase the wear of the rails... and the rails will try to roll outward due to the angular loading.

It would allow a train to make a tighter turn at a higher speed, and so to make tighter turning tracks. Maybe when the tracks wear out (how long would it take?), they can be replaced with tracks having a shape (cross-section) to suit conical wheels. Or maybe their shape will naturally wear out to fit the conical shape.

Last edited:
The train wheel video isn't proposing something new, he's just explaining how existing train wheels (which are conical) work, and have worked for centuries now. Pretty simple and cool.

True.

Same channel, but discussing my current interests:

Last edited:
The train wheel video isn't proposing something new, he's just explaining how existing train wheels (which are conical) work, and have worked for centuries now. Pretty simple and cool.

Well, interesting I never knew that. From looking at drawings on the web however it is a very slight taper... nothing at all like what the above video shows.

1641591411267.png

The train wheel video isn't proposing something new, he's just explaining how existing train wheels (which are conical) work and have worked for centuries now. Pretty simple and cool.
It's hard to get fancy with train components when typical loaded freight cars might weigh as much as 100+ tons each and a modern locomotive weighs in at 400,000 lbs.

Check this video out..
I'm sorry,
I absolutely hadn't known how far robotics has come..
When I watch them move I think this is a product of how fast computing speeds have come..
I found this just amazing..

Teddy

Exactly. The problem doesn't exist because it was solved so long ago, and this has always been the solution. There's a squealing noise you've undoubtedly heard when the wheel flanges come into contact with the rails and become the thing holding the train on the track. But you only hear it now and then because of the self-centering effect of conical wheels on crowned rails; the flanges rarely touch.

Well, interesting I never knew that. From looking at drawings on the web however it is a very slight taper... nothing at all like what the above video shows.
The conacity (yes, that's the industry term) varies quite a bit from one application to another, such as intercity/commuter, subway/heavy rail, light rail, different authorities using different heritage systems, etc.

(I used to design satellites. Now trains are my job.)

EDIT: I just watched the video. There is a bit left out, not that anything included was wrong. On straight track, if the train is pushed to one side, in addition to the centering force as explained, there's also a little differential action, as explained in the cornering part, which steers the wheel set back toward the middle of the track.

The train's inertia will cause it to overshoot the middle, and if then must recenter the other way. If you ride trains much you will undoubtedly have noticed the swaying motion that occurs from time to time, which is do to this overshoot.

Last edited:
There's a squealing noise you've undoubtedly heard when the wheel flanges come into contact with the rails and become the thing holding the train on the track. But you only hear it now and then because of the self-centering effect of conical wheels on crowned rails; the flanges rarely touch.

Rarely touch... well that depends.

I'm not Boxcar Willie, but I have hiked on / along hundreds of miles of abandoned railroad tracks, mostly here in Colorado.

The amount of wear on the inside rails is astonishing where a train is rounding a bend. Actual pieces of the side of the rail has been mushroomed over and pieces of the rail are hanging down and laying on the railroad bed, much like a cold chisel face does from the impact blows of a hammer.

1644328226186.png 1644328359363.png 1644328389719.png
1644328430388.png 1644328454230.png 1644328188104.png

Last edited:
Hahahahaha..

Man,, the folks at Boston Dynamics have just a wonderful sense of humor while they're doing the mostest amazing things..
I guess this is at this point just a matter of programming, but it's still really funny..

Teddy

hahahahahahha

Man, was that a good vid..
I never saw that one before..
I was getting pissed in the middle,,
like, go pick on somebody that won't stand there and take it,, lol..

Teddy

I like the random printout of boxes taped to the monitor and to the wall and doors with electrical tape to mimic the QR codes.

This is new from Boston Dynamics..
There's another 9 min vid of them explaining how they came to this vid..

Just super cool..

Teddy

I'm so impressed with this mans positivity..
He's just wonderful to listen to speak..

Teddy

Back