Vertical Trajectory System is Ready to Fly

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have just completed the VTS and prepped it for its maiden flight, which was to be tomorrow (Sunday). Unfortunately the weather has shelved plans for that for at least another week. Might fly on the 12th August.
DSC07147resize.JPG

Full build thread with latest updates here:
https://forum.ausrocketry.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5324&start=45

If you scroll back a little you can see some of the strength testing I did on some of the 3D printed fins for this. Surprisingly strong :).
Here is a picture of a fin printed on the Formlabs Form 2. That is 22kg side load producing that deflection.
ToughDeflection.JPG

Refer to the thread linked at the top of the page for more information.

This is a really cool project. Curious: how did you decide on that design for the rocket? The fins in the middle are interesting. Sort of following guided missile design practices?

Man, you're killing us with the delays. Hopefully, this week will be it. I hope you enjoy flying your system as much as I have mine.

Jim

Thanks for asking. Life is getting in the way of this currently :(. I still have not had anything like a good look at the logging and meaningful analysis.

Basic synopsis:
  • Flight was nominal, like any standard HPR flight. It was a bit of a big gravity turn by the looks of it, but no worse than other flights on the day. All hardware recovered well and there was not damage.
  • Quick inspection of the servo logging showed it was working, at least in the roll axis. There was either some Dutch roll happening or roll-axis oscillation. Not sure which yet.
  • The three keychain cameras suffered bad batteries, so no visuals on the fins :(. One side-looking camera recorded well. New cameras ordered for next time. I may connect an external battery to run them.
  • I am in the process of digging into this. First step was to replace the two flight batteries in the VTS that were drained when a RBF pin fell out when I unloaded the VTS from the car to the bench. Managed to get to that last night, and then the LiPo for the TeleMega died...

As I said, no detail findings yet. I will let you know when I know. Stay tuned!

VTSPad.jpg

Back