Veronique Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hala

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about France's Veronique Sounding Rockets.

I think I'm looking specifically for the Veronique AGI, but it could be AG1. I would like to build a scale model to honor Felicette, the first (and only at this time) cat to be launched into space. Her wiki page says the French used a Veronique AGI 47, but astronautix.com says the AGI's first flight was in October 1965, two full years later.

I could use blueprints or scale plans for the rocket. Any information would be useful though.

I don't have data for the cat flight but I have something for Hector the Space Rat, who flew on flight V-24. The configuration was a bit different and the paint scheme might have been a lot different. There are also some possible errors, but this is the best I could do. Hector's rocket is the one on the right. The rounded nose tip for re-entry was similar for the cat flight.Veronique AGI 18b.GIF

This is Hector the Space Rat's flight:

Veronique AGI 24 Hector Color Vertical complete cropped.jpg

This is a diagram of the cat nose cone. Note that it doesn't have the earlier double-tapered shape, but it does have the rounded tip. I don't have any photos, but I guess it's likely similar to the rat flight.

Veronique AGI V47 - CERMA Chat.gif

That's what I've got. I hope it's of some use.

Peter Alway

Do you have permission from Peter to post that?
Not really, but apparently the fact that I complained about people posting my stuff without giving credit, I apparently implied that I was cool with people posting entire entries from my books as long as they gave credit. So there's really nothing to be done.

It would be kind of nice if I had the chance to post this sort of thing myself, though.

Peter Alway

I don't have data for the cat flight but I have something for Hector the Space Rat, who flew on flight V-24. The configuration was a bit different and the paint scheme might have been a lot different. There are also some possible errors, but this is the best I could do. Hector's rocket is the one on the right. The rounded nose tip for re-entry was similar for the cat flight.

This is Hector the Space Rat's flight:

This is a diagram of the cat nose cone. Note that it doesn't have the earlier double-tapered shape, but it does have the rounded tip. I don't have any photos, but I guess it's likely similar to the rat flight.

That's what I've got. I hope it's of some use.

Peter Alway

Peter, THANKS! I a few questions on one of the illustrations though. On "Veronique AGI 18b.gif, there are two markings for 510 NULL and 550 NULL. I believe the STA # are the number of mm's from the tip. Is that correct? I also don't see an entry that indicates the width of the fins though that is probably derivable from the dimensions already indicated.
Also, I believe Felicette's flight was #47. Do you happen to know what font they used?

Those guide arms are going to be ... interesting.

Thanks again!

"there are two markings for 510 NULL and 550 NULL"

Those measurements are diameters of the rocket.

510 diameter at station 1566

550 diameter main body from station 1876 to 7160

Also outside fin to outside fin is 1350. Main body is 550. 1350 minus 550 is 800. 800 divied by 2 is 400 so the fins at 400 wide.

Hope that helps you,
-Bob

"there are two markings for 510 NULL and 550 NULL"

Those measurements are diameters of the rocket.

510 diameter at station 1566

550 diameter main body from station 1876 to 7160

Also outside fin to outside fin is 1350. Main body is 550. 1350 minus 550 is 800. 800 divied by 2 is 400 so the fins at 400 wide.

Hope that helps you,
-Bob

Bob,
That does, thank you.

I have been trying to find information about the color scheme used for Véronique AGI47 for quite some time. About a month ago I managed to purchase the paper "Félicette, the only space cat". It has a photo of the said rocket published in "Paris Match" (16.11.1963). Unfortunately, I was unable to find a higher resolution copy (I emailed "Paris Match", but received no reply).

Veronique AGI 47 on the launch pad - Paris Match.png

About a month ago I managed to purchase the paper "Félicette, the only space cat". It has a photo of the said rocket published in "Paris Match" (16.11.1963). Unfortunately, I was unable to find a higher resolution copy (I emailed "Paris Match", but received no reply).

A little more info on the magazine.

PARIS MATCH No 762, du 16.11.1963

https://www.muhlemann.ch/anniversaire_1960.htm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Paris-Match-No-No-762-of-1963-Algerie-Folder-Feet-Black-Mme-Nhu-Indochina/352764538735

Back