Verizon Service (measly web page storage that doesn't work.)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippy

Reaction score
I am sick and tired of going to my own web pages month after month only to see "

The requested resource is currently locked. The lock must be released or proper identification given before the method can be applied. "

Is this what visitors to my site see? Seriously how many click on the address in my sig only to see half or a third or nothing at all show? I'm really ticked. Verizon just increased prices with no notice but didn't bother to fix poor web site storage. Just finding an email address to send my concerns to ([email protected]) took hours...

Sorry for venting. Surely I'm not alone with this though?

I see your website just fine. Are you trying to use Verizon's Site Builder tool? If so, I had the experience last year where the tool inadvertently changed the ownership of all files on my site to "root". After that, I could no longer edit my site because I didn't have sufficient privileges to modiffy these files. Access your site files using ftp and see what the file ownership is. If it is root, you'll need to contact tech support to get them to change it. e-mailing Verizon tech support is worthless...they never read or answer those e-mails.

illini868891 - Have you tried refreshing or multiple visits? Usually I get the site fine the first time (if I'm lucky) then just the "locked" messages.

I write all my pages in HTML with notepad. I use WSFTP to upload.

For awhile they changed, or appeared to change the pages address from hoyworld to res7. I thought that was it and just figured they were rude for not telling me but it worked the same way with multiple visits.

Tech support? I'd kiss anyone's arse who could find me a real email address for Verizon other than billing. They don't want anyone to have a real email address to type at at all. Please feel free to download the useless tools ment to distract people from the fact that it's impossible to get hold of an actuall human or even the email leading to a human.

Hi Zippy,

Your site loaded up fine just now, well in IE anyway. With Firefox (my default browser) the page loaded incorrectly, all the pictures (under low and high power) failed to load. Most ISP's provide only limited (if any) support for the "free" webspace they provide. Ususally they buy server space from a third party at an extremely cheap rate (cheap since it includes no support) and their own support people are clueless.
You are not alone in this, many people get frustrated with their ISP's webspace, from lack of support, lack of features, lack of space and strict restrictions on file size and bandwidth. Sadly the only real answer (unless you are one of the lucky few to have a really good and generous ISP) is to find a webhost. If you need/want info feel free to contact me.

thomasrau - thats pretty much the way it works for me with IE at first, it fools me and then I'm happy for two minutes before I'm screwed. It all seems to be working right now but I'll double check 5 minutes from now and it will be back to "Locked".

I used to way back when have free hosting but thats long gone now. I gave them tens of thousands of hits courtesy of Lara Croft and they let me get away with pretty much anything I wanted as long as they could drop their little pop-ups on people. Ah the good old days!

Zippy,

I've tried a bunch more times and it has always loaded. "Locked" is a rather strange message to get when accessing a public website. The only time I've heard of something similar was when a good friend was putting pics and videos on his comcast provided personal website. At that time comcast had some really strict hourly bandwidth limits, after a dozen or so visits to his site it would get "locked" until the top of the hour when the bandwidth count reset. It would show some canned comcast page saying to try back later, site is temporarily unavailable.

Originally posted by Zippy
I am sick and tired of going to my own web pages month after month only to see "

The requested resource is currently locked. The lock must be released or proper identification given before the method can be applied. "

Sorry for venting. Surely I'm not alone with this though?

I was getting the exact same error about 2 weeks ago. Sometimes the page would load but some of the pictures and content would not. At times I couldn't access my page at all. I don't know what's going on over there.

Like thomasrau suggested, if I cared about <a href="https://home1.gte.net/res0xphr/index.htm">my page</a> (which never gets updated) I would probably choose a cheap hosting provider.

Check out www.brinkster.com - only $4.95 a month for the following:

Personal Package Features
1 Free Domain
Brinkster Control Panel
500 MB WEB SPACE
7 GB WEB TRAFFIC
50 POP3 E-MAIL ACCOUNTS
24/7/365 E-MAIL, LIVE CHAT AND PHONE SUPPORT
FTP ACCESS
WEB BASED SITE ManaGeR
25 Page brinksteR Website Builder

DOMAIN FEATURES
1 Free Domain
Point up to 50 Domains to Brinkster Name Servers
50 Sub domains
Domain ManageR (Coming Soon)

SUPPORTED TECHNOLOGIES
MICROSOFT FRONTPAGE 2003
WAP ENABLED
FLASH ENABLED

E-MAIL ESSENTIALS
50 POP3 E-MAIL ACCOUNTS WITH 50MB SPACE EACH
BRINKSTER WEBMAIL
WEB BASED E-MAIL ManaGeR
E-MAIL FORWARDING
100 E-MAIL ALIASES
Auto-responders
Virus scan protection for all accounts

DATA CENTER/SERVER FEATURES
WINDOWS 2003 IIS 6
HOt swapable hardware redundant file storage
DAILY DATA BACKUPS
fully redundant connections to an oc48 backbone
NETWORK FIREWALL
24/7 NETWORK MONITORING
24/7 WEB SERVER MONITORING

SUPPORT
24/7/365 SUPPORT BY PHONE, LIVE CHAT AND E-MAIL
90 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
unlimited access to brinkster code bank

MISCELLANEOUS FEATURES
TRAFFIC STATS
ACCESS RAW LOG FILE

Finally got it, the locked message that is. First the page wouldn't load and gave a 404 not found error, then on refresh the locked message. A moment later it worked again. Sure seems like a problem with their servers.

Like thomasrau suggested, if I cared about my page (which never gets updated) I would probably choose a cheap hosting provider.

Yes, there are many good deals out there thanks in large part to the dot com bust, lots of data centers with under utilized capacity. Check things like webhosting talk forum to try to make sure you don't get burned. The place I use (MicFo) has a $5.95 basic plan that gives you 1GB space, and all kinds of goodies. Heck I've even considered reselling myself, with server prices so low I could sell webspace (200MB) for $3/month and still turn a small profit.

Thanks everyone for verifying the "Locked" thing. Now when an actuall human maybe reads my somewhat short complaint that I did send to Verizon billing I can at least feel justified and not wonder if it was just my machine.

If I do go with my own domain then I'll really have to break out the hobbies in order to tie links to Amazon.com hard in order to help pay for the sites. Good excuse anyway. Anyone like steam engines?

Yup, seems to be locked real hard now. I wonder if it has anything to do with bandwith. The site is actually pretty lean and doesn't get that many hits. Anyway they only limited me in megs and never mentioned anything about usage. All my other pages were locked too last time I looked. I want to back charge them.
I've been known to send bills for "book keeping charges" to companies like Reader's Digest when they slam me with an unwanted subscription or spurious charges. Nobody has actually paid them yet ofcourse.

A quick look through Verizon's TOS doesn't list any bandwidth limitations, but does clearly say they provide no phone support for personal web pages, reserve the right to limit and even delete sites, are not responsible for backup, and not responsible for any downtime.

I guess none of that really surprises me. After all they don't even try very hard to support the service. Did you know that I could use their online help to help find out why I can't get online? That did surprise the heck out of me I'll tell ya'.

Back