Quantcast

vendors of HPR custom fins?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

TWRackers

Reaction score
Okay, it's been 1½ years since I asked this question on TRF 1.0, so I suspect the answers may be different this time around.

Which vendors out there can cut custom fins for HPR projects? I'm thinking of something ¼ inch thick, with a fin root length around 15 inches and a fin chord (root to tip) around 5 inches, with a 12-inch TTW tab suitable for a 75mm MMT inside a 6-inch airframe (about 1.56 inches). And I would need four such fins. Basically, they'd be clones of the fins on my Level 3 rocket (which sadly still has not been located after its maiden flight at Red Glare VII).

The original fins were cut by me when I had access to a band saw, which is no longer the case.

(Moderators: if you think this post is better suited to the Vendors section, please move it over there.)

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
Ken Allen has made them for me...not personally but as an agent. I thought Giant Leap used to make them.

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Wildman G-10 or wood
PML G-10 [don't know about wood]
LOC G-10 or wood
Giant Leap G-10
Hawk Mountain. G-10
Binder Design G-10 or wood

All can do it......... some maintain a library of popular shapes, upscale or down.

bob jablonski

Reaction score
Mr. Dave from Red Arrow makes mine.
Mr. Bob
Starlight elf

skycopp

Reaction score
The original fins were cut by me when I had access to a band saw, which is no longer the case.
If you get the wood, you can use my tools. I have a band saw, but it needs a new blade. Normally I cut all my fins with a jig saw.
Here is the place in Rockville where I get some things. By the way, I believe they'll cut something for you for a small fee.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2004113/2004113.aspx

Last edited:

TWRackers

Reaction score
Y'know, I really wish I could duplicate the way I made the set of fins I actually used on my rocket. When the 5-ply aircraft birch fins I originally cut warped after being cut, I made new fin stock by using four 1/8" thick (3 mm actually) sheets of Midwest Products plywood, pairing them up, then epoxying them together with West Systems 205 and two layers of 3 oz fiberglass cloth in between, and allowing the two stacks to cure for 24 hours under vacuum against a large flat aluminum plate. So I ended up with 11-ply fin stock (including the center layer) that was just slightly thinner than 1/4", but was rigid and FLAT. The fins I cut from those two sheets never showed the slightest tendency to warp. Sure wish I still had access to the equipment to accomplish that. (sigh)

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
You don't need the fancy vacuum pump etc.

A couple of bucks for some 2 ft tile from HD or Lowes etc. lay up your fin stock as before on one tile, place another on top, a couple of blocks, sand bags, water filled jugs, etc on top of that.....you can get pretty darn close results for 5-7 [0 if you still have the aluminum plate] bucks on your fin stock.
May not be as fancy or pretty , but it works!
Then get it cut the way you want.

Just use your old rocket ingenuity!

kandsrockets

Reaction score
Y'know, I really wish I could duplicate the way I made the set of fins I actually used on my rocket. When the 5-ply aircraft birch fins I originally cut warped after being cut, I made new fin stock by using four 1/8" thick (3 mm actually) sheets of Midwest Products plywood, pairing them up, then epoxying them together with West Systems 205 and two layers of 3 oz fiberglass cloth in between, and allowing the two stacks to cure for 24 hours under vacuum against a large flat aluminum plate. So I ended up with 11-ply fin stock (including the center layer) that was just slightly thinner than 1/4", but was rigid and FLAT. The fins I cut from those two sheets never showed the slightest tendency to warp. Sure wish I still had access to the equipment to accomplish that. (sigh)
You do not even need to go through all that. I have used 1/4" plywood with a layer of 8 oz glass on each side. I have a old end table with a flat surface. I place a layer of 5mil mylar on each side of the plywood after glassing the plywood. Then place it on the end table and stack a bunch of books on top for a day or two. After that I trace the pattern onto the sheet and cut out my fins. No warp and are very strong.

Latest posts