VBS Rocket Time

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
My church is currently in its annual Vacation Bible School. The ladies who run it asked me to do some "rocket stuff" for the kids. I agreed and hoped that the kids would have fun and that a few would get seriously interested in rocketry.

Because we had 39 kids registered this year and we charge nothing, my budget was rather limited. In fact, it was completely blown on purchasing motors so that each kids would get one flight. With that in mind, I chose to go with Art Applewhite's Qubit 2.0s. I've always enjoyed these simple little things.

Most of the ladies running the program are school teachers. Since many of the kids are very young and there a several special needs kids, we agreed that I would make the rockets and the kids would color them while I talked about rockets. How hard could that be?

It wasn't until I cut out 40 of the things.

40-blanks.jpg

I have to admit though, that cutting them out beat putting the fold in all 40. I quickly learned that a putty knife helps here.

fold-1.jpg

fold-2.jpg

Gluing these things together is not hard or even time consuming...unless there's LOTS. Then it gets monotonous pretty quick. By choir practice last night, though, all were done.

motor-mounts.jpg

VBS-Qubit.jpg

40-Qubits.jpg

Bright and early this morning, I set up a static display of a wide variety on a table in one of the classrooms.

static-dispaly-1.jpg

static-dispaly-2.jpg

static-dispaly-3.jpg

The the ladies were kind enough to let me have another table.

static-dispaly-4.jpg

static-dispaly-5.jpg

static-dispaly-6.jpg

static-dispaly-7.jpg

static-dispaly-8.jpg

A few hours later it was time to give the kids their rockets. They had been waiting for this all week.

give-em-out-1.jpg

give-em-out-2.jpg

give-em-out-3.jpg

give-em-out-4.jpg

give-em-out-5.jpg

While the kids began coloring, I took 1 table at a time back to see the static display and explain about different types of rockets.

tour-1a.jpg

tour-1b.jpg

tour-1c.jpg

tour-1d.jpg

tour-1e.jpg

Meanwhile, the rest of the kids were continuing their artistic endeavors.

coloring-1.jpg

coloring-2.jpg

coloring-3.jpg

coloring-4.jpg

Eventually, we had 40 Qubits ready to fly for tomorrow.

colored-qubits.jpg

What a neat program to incorporate into VBS! I'm sure it will be something more memorable than the usual foam and popsicle stick craft project.

A few years back I picked up a mess of motors at Walmart on clearance for $1 and $2 per package to use with the Girl Scouts for a build but chess club got in the way and then the troop cut way back on their meetings. So I've got them ready and waiting to spring on some unsuspecting group. :dark:

What a neat program to incorporate into VBS! I'm sure it will be something more memorable than the usual foam and popsicle stick craft project.

A few years back I picked up a mess of motors at Walmart on clearance for $1 and $2 per package to use with the Girl Scouts for a build but chess club got in the way and then the troop cut way back on their meetings. So I've got them ready and waiting to spring on some unsuspecting group. :dark:

Thanks.

I've got some pics of the kids flying their rockets I'm going to post just as soon as I am able.

That must be tough, looking for a place and excuse to burn up motors!:jaw:

Great job John. As a pastor, I love VBS each summer. Maybe next summer it will be a space theme.

Keith

Great job John. As a pastor, I love VBS each summer. Maybe next summer it will be a space theme.

Keith

Thanks.

Our theme this year was "Praise the Lord"

Psalm 150 was just a starting point for lots of ways to do that.

I tied it into the rockets by saying this was a gift given me that makes me really happy. Really, though, the ladies just wanted another outdoor activity for Friday.;)

We are going through some growing pains. This year was 41 kids total. Our record in the past was 17. Doing for that many more was a LOT different.:shock:

Well Done, John (and others)!

When I made my Applewhite Stealth, I used a pizza cutter to help with the folds. I was using 110# cardstock.

Back