Vaughn Bros. - Javelin Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Really a scratch rebuild of the OOP Vaughn Brothers Javelin. I salvaged the fins and nose cone from 10 years ago and finally got around to building it. And here its finished. The Javelin was my level 1 cert rocket on an Aerotect H124 single use.

The clone is still 29mm powered. A payload bay is drilled for my Black Sky AltAcc tho I can also use a MissleWorks RRC2 on a sled.

The fade effect could have been better but I'll take it... The body tube Chrome Monokote was put on using spray glue as an experiment. Not great... it winds up 'lumpy'. The fin triangles were done using a covering iron on a low'ish heat setting (a Much Better Idea!).

Then sealed with clear acrylic. After that out gasses I'll put on a coat of future.

Attachments

• 2011-12-29-Javelin-XL-0003-2-2.jpg
    2011-12-29-Javelin-XL-0003-2-2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 2011-12-29-Javelin-XL-0004-2-2.jpg
    2011-12-29-Javelin-XL-0004-2-2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately I never got a pic of my 38mm motor mount Javelin.It was close to yours,
Flourescent yellow with black fins and cone.
She died when an Aerotech I-300 Catoed.
When I called up the Vaughn's about the 38mm mod... Mike was blasting Slayer or something in the background:D
They once dropped an adept altimeter in the mail for me on a promise!

Last edited:
My VB Javelin, with some redneck holding it:wink:

I sure wish they still made kits , it was a great build !

mejavelin.jpg

I was heading to town, ma said I had to wear shoes

This is my VBR Javelin launching on a Skyripper Systems H78 (29mm hybrid):

vbrjavelinsrsh789_17_05.jpg

vbrjavelinsrsh789_17_052.jpg

vbrjavelinsrsh789_17_053.jpg

Here is the same rocket the following day... looks different does it not? The red arrow is pointing at the launch pads blast deflector that was torn off of the pad during the cato.

Balstdeflector.jpg

Last edited:
This is what passed for a digital photo in 1999. Remember Kodak photo discs? Not Photo CD... 3.5 disks. It was an optional add-on when getting your film developed. So it's REALLY lo rez. The left over parts went into the reincarnation.

IMG13.JPG

IMG12.JPG

2011-10-03-Javelin-XL-0001.jpg

JB Javelin on a CTI 168-H410. Burn time .4s
Capture time about .22s into the flight

Canon 40D, cheap Sigma zoom set to 88mm (35mm equivalent) @ f5.6
Shutter 1/2000, ISO160, spot metered, manual focus

Amazed to have caught it. :surprised::surprised::surprised:

Welcome to the Vaughn Brothers Javelin Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Vaughn Brothers Javelin and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Vaughn Brothers: Javelin:

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Vaughn Brothers Javelin Basic Information.

vaughn%20bros.gif
Vaughn Brothers Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Javelin Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x29mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 60"
Diameter: 2.6"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description:

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:

Twice earlier this year I had made the drive north into the Antelope Valley and on to Mojave California. A sharp turn right and you are driving along the Northern side of all the history that is Edwards Air Force Base. Twice however the desert Winter winds had thwarted all attempts to launch. Last year I ended with four great launches in a row in this location. But 2013 had been a weather CATO so far.

Today would be different! I arrived about 8:30am after the 2 hour and 15 minute drive. Temperature already about 22C and the winds very light to dead calm. As is usual I had prepped 6 rockets the preceding few days and got down to work (or play as the case were).

Fair warning: I was having a "Bad Photo" day... they happen. Focus mostly. Apologies in advance.

First up:
My rebuilt Vaugh Bros Javelin loaded with a 166H175 Smoky Sam. The delay was adjusted to 8 seconds as you'll notice this is essentially a full G motor. Again keeping in mind all G's are not created equal. Or simply put a baby baby H. Riding along was an AltAcc 2C for testing. I had gotten it used off eBay and was having a devil of a time testing it with the usual procedure in the manual. Normally with my old AltAcc 2 I had no problem doing the test, but this one was kicking my butt.

So I used motor eject, hooked a 10k ohm resistor to the drogue channel and a Quest Q2G2 to the main with no BP for the test.

8688039268_febeeda49a_b.jpg

Recovery was perfect AND the Q2G2 fired. The readout made when I got home showed 1550' (472m) and spot on the ROCKSIM 1587' prediction. It all showed the drogue and the main channel firing. So I am pretty durn confident this AltAcc is read for service. At least for motor apogee and cable cutting service.

Post copied to gallery with permission

Last edited by a moderator:
Back