VAST July Launches

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck Neff

Reaction score
VAST will be hosting a Sport Launch on Saturday, July 18th, from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm at our launch site, Croft Field, in Swoope, Virginia (see directions/map on main page of our website). Standing waiver is for 20,000 feet AGL with an "M" impulse motor limit. Larger motors will be considered on a case by case basis. E-mail [email protected] with request and details for larger motors. Level 1 & 2 Certification flights (Tripoli or NAR) can be done with advance notice. Licensed high power dealer will be in attendance with growing inventory. Email [email protected] with requests or more information. Model and mid-power rocket kits as well as "G" motors and below will also be available for purchase at the site.

A Night Launch will also be held Saturday evening after the Sport Launch, tentatively from 9:00 pm to 11:00 pm, depending upon darkness. Waiver is for 5,000 feet AGL. Qualifying rockets shall be continuously illuminated from a time just before the connection of igniter leads until the recovery/landing and must have flown successfully in the same configuration (motor, weights, illumination devices, etc.) during the daylight portion of the launch. Email [email protected] for more information.

Kids fly free! Launch fee for adults is $10.00 ($5.00 for club members) for the day, which includes the night launch portion. Spectating is free and encouraged! NOTE: Porta-potties will be on site!

Sunday, July 19th, from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm will be a Tripoli Research Launch at the same site. The Research Waiver will be 15,000 feet AGL (75% of standing waiver). "M" impulse motor limit with larger motors allowed on a case by case basis. E-mail [email protected] with request and details for larger motors. Level 1 & 2 Certification flights (Tripoli only) can be done with advance notice. Per the Tripoli Research Safety Code, you must be a Tripoli member and at least 18 years of age to fly commercial motors. Only Tripoli members that are L2 certified are allowed to fly research motors. Launch fee is $10.00 ($5.00 for club members).

It is recommended that all flights over 10,000 feet contain some sort of tracking device. Also, due to the rolling terrain that makes up our launch site, it is also recommended that main parachutes be deployed at the upper limit settings that your electronics allow. This should help provide the maximum amount of hang time for locating it before dropping below a hill line.

Check out our Featured Launch Projects page at https://www.valleyaerospace.com/featuredprojects.html

Thanks,
Chuck Neff
Valley AeroSpace Team - President

Last edited:
Come on...what's it going to take to get some more flyers to our launches? I know most people have LDRS on the brain right now, but our July Sport and Research launches aren't until a few weeks after.

The August Rush 2-Day Research launch in August (obviously) ought to work for someone! We're having a Research Night launch that should really be interesting!

Our launch site has a standing 20,000 foot AGL waiver...not call-in..STANDING! Yes, the terrain is a bit hilly than what most of you are used to, but I'd be willing to bet the view we have isn't like most views seen from a launch site. We have the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains as our backdrop.

So, check out our website for more information (www.valleyaerospace.com) and come join us!

Thanks,
Chuck Neff
Valley AeroSpace Team - President
www.valleyaerospace.com

*cough* pay your fliers *cough* ;)

Planning on being there in July. I might have to take advantage of that waiver then!!

Ben

Count me in as a definite. This is the last weekend that my Godson will be with me before he flies back to Brazil.

Been awhile since I launched anything - have had some family issues and work to contend with, but this IS the 40th
anniversary of you know what...

And I'd love to so some more flights on the Apollo Little Joe II.

I'm planning on going.

Now, if only I could slap together that Semroc Saturn 1B that I bought.

Back