Varying core sizes in grain geometry...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tad

Reaction score
Hopefully I'm not stepping out of bounds on the forum with this question. And it's probably a stupid one. But just want to confirm that when varying the core sizes in a typical neutral profile of a 5 grain configuration, the grain with the larger diameter core is usually placed nearest to the nozzle, correct?

Saw the different core size suggestions on the Loki Research website and just want to confirm it's proper placement.

Thanks.

yep..bigger cores near the nozzle..

eases the congestion and errosiveness of all those hot gasses trying to get out of the motor.

Tony

Hopefully I'm not stepping out of bounds on the forum with this question. And it's probably a stupid one. But just want to confirm that when varying the core sizes in a typical neutral profile of a 5 grain configuration, the grain with the larger diameter core is usually placed nearest to the nozzle, correct?

Saw the different core size suggestions on the Loki Research website and just want to confirm it's proper placement.

Thanks.
The Loki instructions for the cocktail reloads show the slower burning red grains with the wider core aft and the faster burning blue grains with the narrower core forward. Where are you seeing it differently?

yep..bigger cores near the nozzle..

eases the congestion and errosiveness of all those hot gasses trying to get out of the motor.

Tony
Awesome. Makes perfect sense.
Thanks Tony

The Loki instructions for the cocktail reloads show the slower burning red grains with the wider core aft and the faster burning blue grains with the narrower core forward. Where are you seeing it differently?
Yeah, on their website under the "Tech Info" page and look to the far right of the table "typical bates grain geometry"

That lists the grain and core sizes but not the order they're in. I thought you meant they had a listing of the order somewhere that showed the smaller cores aft near the nozzle. For all their commercial reloads, they show the order in the instructions if there is a difference.

That lists the grain and core sizes but not the order they're in. I thought you meant they had a listing of the order somewhere that showed the smaller cores aft near the nozzle. For all their commercial reloads, they show the order in the instructions if there is a difference.
Oh no, the site never suggested smaller cores near nozzle. Like you said, it didn't list the order, hence, I wanted to make sure the larger cores are near nozzle. It made sense but I wanted to be sure. Got it. Thanks a bunch.

Something else to consider, when mixing grain types but with same geometry, put the faster burning propellant near the nozzle. For the same reason Tony said above. This is opposite what Loki does in their cocktail reloads. They put the slower red near the nozzle and the faster blue forward but the grain length and core size makes the difference there.

It's like it's rocket science or something

Something else to consider, when mixing grain types but with same geometry, put the faster burning propellant near the nozzle. For the same reason Tony said above. This is opposite what Loki does in their cocktail reloads. They put the slower red near the nozzle and the faster blue forward but the grain length and core size makes the difference there.

Interesting. I've never mixed my propellant grains. It's always been 100% one propellant (whether KNDX, Flexifuel, or KNSB). I think I have enough variables to contend with as is; without throwing in fast and slow burning grains in the same load. Interesting, though. Yeah, that's a bit more rocket science than I want to tackle right now.

Cheers,
Tad

Something else to consider, when mixing grain types but with same geometry, put the faster burning propellant near the nozzle.

Not always true , more a guideline. Fast grains on the bottom will give you a duel thrust profile. Faster up top will even the burn profile as it will speed up the burn on the bottom .[/QUOTE]

Ummmm,

I know Scott from a long time ago. It's science, extensive testing and maybe VooDoo. Before Scott took over Loki, he stopped by our group in Peoria and was teaching us on how to characterize mixes. It was just before Steve Eves Saturn V launch. He was just getting the hang of characterizing himself and I suspect Jeff Taylor was his mentor. Jeff had just hired him to help out with Loki. Maybe the sorcerer's apprentice? :)

Scott suggested we mix up some brown stuff of his own inkling he called "Baby Sh!t" but never worked with himself before. Well it was his load cell, equipment and electronics so why not? Local prefect (it was his shop) said, "Ok." So we went on with the mixing. Scott stayed the weekend at a motel and indoctrinated us to "Burnsim" which was out there back then. Things looked good on the computer.

He took us through weighing everything including the casting tubes (that was a trick!) to take into account the mass of everything involved with the testing motor. Had a special 2 grain, 38mm casing with a pressure tap that could record the internal motor pressure while burning (our prefect made on his lathe(s)). Would take a long time to explain it but essentially an oil column of low flashpoint oil transfers pressure to a transducer to record the internal pressure spike inside the motor while it's burning besides the external load cell that measures the thrust force on the casing. Dual channel recorder used. Do a bunch of "runs" and use mathematical goobledy goob to calculate the "a" and "n" coefficient of Saint Robert's Law a.k.a. Vieille's Law.

Well, everything was setup and when 5... 4... 3... 2...1 happened, the motor broke free of the downward facing restraint and smashed into the load cell. It was still restrained and didn't fly off in any direction so still safe but the initial impulse was pretty high and it destroyed the load cell. The load cell looked o.k. physically but electronically it was gone/dead. Scott didn't have a backup so we were out of luck of trying to pull off a successful characterization test. The test casing stood up to the test and was still usable but the loadcell was dead. (It was his loadcell. We paid for the instruction so I think he still made a profit even with dorking his equipment.)

In spite of this I still had great fun that weekend mixing and being around people who knew a lot more than me. That was a "blast". Wished I was in a position to recreate the excitement of those days.

Our Prefecture never did get involved characterizing propellant. The Math is out there but no one has ever written a step by step protocol that the Mathematically impaired could follow to pull it off. Scott gave us an instruction sheet but there were still a few holes.

Yeah I read "Experimental Composite Propellant". Things like computers, interfaces, load cells, motor restraining devices, calibrating load cells, getting cases with pressure taps, data reduction for "a" and "n" is totally lacking.

If that wasn't the case, there would be an absolute pile of propellant formulations with "a" and the "n" exponents published in the Research section of this forum so folks could use Burnsim to work with a propellant. Even then, if another group tried to characterize the same mix, they might get different numbers depending on the equipment they use. Rocket science you know.
Nonetheless, a good "a" and "n exponent" should give a decent starting point for an experimenter to start from.

Ahhhhhhhh, One little caution here. With a given propellant the "a" and "n exponent" can change with motor size. What "a" and "n" works with 38mm might not with 75mm or 98mm. I heard that fact stated in the early 2000's about Research propellants of which I think is true.

The key with some motor mixes is nozzle throat and core size of the grains. Generally it's the wider grains at the bottom and narrower at the top. Unless the same core size works with a given motor. Grains don't always have to be stepped. Sim........Sim......Sim.....Sim. Then live test several times in a very safe venue.

Go with erosive phenolic nozzles in AT stuff and hardware and all bets are off with Research propellant. Burnsim can't help one very much. One can start with the nozzle throat it recommends but may or may not be too large. Most of the time it's too large. Burnsim only works with a fixed, non-erosive, graphite like nozzle which makes sense. Nozzle erosion results in a myriad of factors that I believe are impossible to mathematically quantify. Would take too long to explain. (burnrate, pressure, velocity and heat are some of the factors.)

If Scott Kormeier has a mixed inverted core arrangement with the wider core at the top and a narrower one at the bottom, I assure you it was with extensive testing to make sure it would work in a commercial motor forsale to us. Plus if he is mixing propellant types in the grains then I know for certain he is testing like crazy to make sure he can get the propellant certified and out there for the "rank and file" to enjoy the effects. I don't believe there is any mathematical construct out there currently that can predict the outcomes with mixing propellant types in the same motor. Some of this has to be trial and error. That's fine as long as testing shows it can be done. If it was me, I wouldn't want a bunch of PO'd customers so I'd test a motor mix extensively before trying to release it.

Kurt Savegnago

Large cores are normally implemented at the aft end to mitigate erosive burning effects in higher L : D ratio motors ie. lowing the mass flow flux rate across the larger area conduit.
Regarding slow and fast propellant: experiments carried out in the 70s-80s seemed to indicate that slower propellants are more affected in erosive burning environments than faster burning propellants. Also, having your faster burning propellants up the top end will produce more gas flow/velocity down the entire core which directly contributes to the erosive burning of the affected regions of the propellant core(s). Erosive burning also increases the delta p along the length of the chamber. If the faster burning propellant was housed at the top and that propellant possessed a high pressure exponent, then there is the potential for some runaway action in extreme circumstances.

TP

Last edited:
Damn, Kurt. Scott has always come across to me so unassuming. Who would've known the guy's a wizard. You'd never know it by his communications. Really humble guy. Really helpful and really honest. Both him and his wife, Carma. I'm impressed. Just received an order for a 54mm Loki 2000NS complete motor and extra #32 nozzle and those nozzles were polished to perfection.

Damn, Kurt. Scott has always come across to me so unassuming. Who would've known the guy's a wizard. You'd never know it by his communications. Really humble guy. Really helpful and really honest. Both him and his wife, Carma. I'm impressed. Just received an order for a 54mm Loki 2000NS complete motor and extra #32 nozzle and those nozzHles were polished to perfection.

Yeah,

And I'm happy to say I knew Scott in the early days. Didn't meet Carma though he mentioned her in our sessions. It would have been nice if our Peoria prefect hadn't died. He had a mixer that could do 20-25kgs. of Research propellant easily. I know cause' I was the one who dumped the components in during some of the mixing sessions. :)

Prefect would want to hold a mix and the members would get together with their casting tubes and such and we'd figure out which formula we'd do. FM music blasting in the background and many times I'd be measuring out the components to put in the mixing pot. They would laugh because I could read the recipe book and had an M.D. degree! They thought that since I had an "advance degree" I'd be the right guy to measure the mix.

Technically that didn't make me competent to mix propellant. I learned fast though. (But then again I had an undergraduate biochemistry degree so I could decipher the metric formulas that were out there. So I like to call myself a "pseudo" chemist.)

Was an absolute thing of fun to do that and then "ball and pack" the casting tubes. We didn't explore the "pour technique" though I've heard a lot of folks have had success with that. For the small motors, drilled the cores with a slow-speed drill press after they cured. With 54mm and larger used casting tubes with center release agent coated rods to save on propellant on the core.

The burnpile thing was always fun to watch after making APCP motors. Nice flash in the backyard.

Kurt

They would laugh because I could read the recipe book and had an M.D. degree! They thought that since I had an "advance degree" I'd be the right guy to measure the mix.
Lol. Looks like your MD degree went a long way.

It's great to have such good mentors. I've been in sugar motors for a bit but I don't have mentors in the composite propellant arena. Recently worked with an ammonium nitrate based composite (Nakka's A-24 formulation), had very good initial results but had a pretty horrific (and costly) CATO on a static test. Shied away for now and will learn from the only source I know, McCreary.

Wish I had your prefects here in central florida.
Cheers.

Yeah I read "Experimental Composite Propellant". Things like computers, interfaces, load cells, motor restraining devices, calibrating load cells, getting cases with pressure taps, data reduction for "a" and "n" is totally lacking.

You are correct that there is nothing in ECP about pressure taps. However, there is an entire chapter on building, calibrating, and using a thrust stand with a laptop computer, DATAQ acquisition system, load cell, and homemade amplifier. Also, the Propel Excel workbook that accompanies ECP has two methods for finding a and n, a two-motor method and a multiple-motor method.

As a side note, I should point out that Scott @ Loki Research no longer polishes nozzles. The only reason why he did (in my particular case) is we had a series of mistakes and miscommunications which caused delays in receiving my order. He only did it as an "I'm sorry" kind a thing. Anyways, I'm very grateful that he did.

Back