Valentine's Day Suggestions?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel lucky. I used to buy a dozen roses for my wife every year on Valentine's and have them delivered to her work. After about 5 years of this, she told me "you know, you don't need to buy me flowers anymore. They are a real pain to keep up, especially at work." They were also expensive, so I readily agreed. We haven't really celebrated the holiday since and we're both perfectly okay with that. Some people put too much pressure on themselves to have a "great Valentine's day." Just get along.

My wife would love a chicken, though. That she would definitely appreciate.

Flowers are usually appreciated, if they haven't been overdone in previous years/holidays. And DO remember the preferences of SWMBO. I got 4 dozen red roses sent to her and elder daughter (still lives with us), couple days ago. "You know I like carnations? They last longer and they don't droop as badly...":oops:

3ZTnJ5H.jpg

St. Valentine had a bad ending:
"
Valentinus was later arrested again for continuing to evangelize. He was sent to the prefect of Rome, to the emperor Claudius Gothicus (Claudius II) himself. Claudius took a liking to him until Valentinus tried to convince Claudius to embrace Christianity. Claudius refused and condemned Valentinus to death, commanding that Valentinus either renounce his faith or he would be beaten with clubs and beheaded. Valentinus refused and was executed outside the Flaminian Gate on February 14, 269.[29]"

Saint Valentine is said to have ministered to the faithful amidst the persecution of Christians in the Roman Empire.[4]

An embellishment to this account states that before his execution, Saint Valentine wrote a note to Asterius's daughter signed "from your Valentine", which is said to have "inspired today's romantic missives".[30]

An embellishment to this account states that before his execution, Saint Valentine wrote a note to Asterius's daughter signed "from your Valentine", which is said to have "inspired today's romantic missives".[30]
The other embellishment was that he conducted marriages for Roman soldiers, who were not supposed to marry. We don't know for sure if that was true, but it would make sense since he is traditionally the patron of lovers and happy marriages.

St. Valentine had a bad ending:
Depends on your point of view. The religious would point out that martyrdom is an instant ticket to heaven, so he came out ahead in the end.

I feel lucky. I used to buy a dozen roses for my wife every year on Valentine's and have them delivered to her work. After about 5 years of this, she told me "you know, you don't need to buy me flowers anymore. They are a real pain to keep up, especially at work." They were also expensive, so I readily agreed. We haven't really celebrated the holiday since and we're both perfectly okay with that. Some people put too much pressure on themselves to have a "great Valentine's day." Just get along.

My wife would love a chicken, though. That she would definitely appreciate.
Mrs HATES, me to buy her flowers, for that very reason. Valentines day over the years has morphed into just another day. Since our anniversary is one week after Valentines Day , we seem to concentrate on that over the prior. (This will be year 17)

Our anniversary is only a few days after Valentines Day too, so we tend to focus on our anniversary instead.

Valentine's Day is one of those holidays with high expectations that seldom lives up. Early on, we decided Valentine’s Day was one of the worst days to go out on a date. It’s hard to get a reservation, places are packed, waits are long, service is bad, prices are high, and a lot of places switch to some kind of special menu that might not be what you really want.

For the first few years while we were dating and even after we got married, we made kind of a joke out of it, and we had a routine that was fun. We would hit the fast food drive-thru places and get the best thing made at each one. Get a shake at Jack in the Box, fries at McDonalds, burger at In-n-Out, eat it in the parking lot. The joke was “Nothing but the best for my girl!”

That lasted for a few years, but now we usually cook something special at home and then go out on our anniversary. This year is the first time we are breaking out of that routine in a long time. We are members of the wine club of a local winery, and they are partnering with a local restaurant and having a catered dinner and wine pairing at the winery. So that should be fun.

I am taking my wife to lunch. Probably Ruby Tuesday. We are not big on Valentine’s Day. Our big day is February 4th - Our first day - 29 years ago.

Back