Vacuum sealing...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stones

Reaction score
I have quite a few reloads and SU's and have access to one of those "seal a meal" "foodsaver" machines. I'm thinking, hey, now this would be a great way to store propellant... vacuum sealing.
The original reload bags appear to be sealed but, some of them are "older" and I thought this just might prolong there "shelf life".
Question... would "vacuuming" the reloads possibly mishappen the grains/components? I would just place the entire reload, bag and all, in one of these vacuum bags and let the machine do its thing. The SU's could be taken out of the bubble packs and done individually as everything is inside the motor case already and the vacuuming process shouldn't be of concern. Thoughts...comments?

tia...

the one I have (food saver) has a thumbwheel on the underside that varies the amount of vacume pulled before sealing
you could experiment with that if yours also has one..

but it seems the loads would be ok regardless of how strong the commercials portray it ..24 coke cans are obviously very easy to crush. heh

Worked out well on the SU's.
Not sure how I wanna do the reloads. Split up the 3 packs into individual? Leave 'em in their original bags and call it good? Don't want to get to "anal" about it. ;)

Ahhh man, you just wanted to show off your motor collection for us all to drool over!!!! LOL, looks like a good idea to me.

Hey, to see if it has any effect on the propellant grain you should leave them in the vacuum for about a week, and then test fire one of them in the yard and see if it CATOes.

Back