Vacation on O'ahu - Any tips, tricks, or suggestions?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DabCat

Reaction score
I'm currently on vacation at O'ahu. Wondering if anyone here has some tricks, tips, or suggestions for some fun excursions. This is my first time on O'ahu.

Any really great snorkel spots?

Any really good hiking trails?

I remember a really cool lava tube on the road to Hana, which was sort if secretive. We had special instructions from somewhere, and it was hidden off the side of the road. It had a trail leading to the entrance and it was large enough to walk pretty deep into it. I remember not being able to explore the entire thing because it just kept going. It was an amazing experience, so is there anything similar to that on O'ahu?

Any amazing restaurants that you would recomend?

Any popular places that aren't worth visiting? Reasoning as to why?

Anything rocketry related? I'm not expecting it, but I may be surprised. Even a small hobby store that stocks a handful of kits would be cool to visit.

I'm already planning to visit Kualoa ranch.

I'm currently on vacation at O'ahu. Wondering if anyone here has some tricks, tips, or suggestions for some fun excursions. This is my first time on O'ahu.

I remember a really cool lava tube on the road to Hana, which was sort if secretive. We had special instructions from somewhere, and it was hidden off the side of the road. It had a trail leading to the entrance and it was large enough to walk pretty deep into it. I remember not being able to explore the entire thing because it just kept going. It was an amazing experience, so is there anything similar to that on O'ahu?

Anything rocketry related? I'm not expecting it, but I may be surprised. Even a small hobby store that stocks a handful of kits would be cool to visit.

I'm already planning to visit Kualoa ranch.
Contact @Ronz Rocketz and @kuririn .

Great low power flying crew

HANAUMA BAY STATE PARK is the place to snorkel. Bring some frozen peas to feed the many brightly-colored fish. We fell asleep on the beach and got the worst sun burn of my life - but it was a great nap!

http://hanaumabaystatepark.com/
We brought home many seveners from all the swap meets - bring extra luggage!

The best meal of my life was at Hickam AFB - Mongolian BBQ w rows and rows and rows of food - they give you a KFC like bucket to fill up! Mmmmm

Pretty much, a must do is swim on Waikiki beach and take pics w Diamond Head behind you!

Of course, we want pics!! :) Have a safe trip.

I've only been to Honolulu twice in the last year for work, so I'm by no means an expert. I found it rewarding to get out of the Waikiki bubble. The beaches out toward Waimanalo were nearly empty last August, and had great surf jumping. You did have to keep an eye out for man o' war jellyfish, but they were pretty easy to spot. The lifeguard helped me out there, and encouraged me to take a swim, for which I'm grateful. You might pick up one of the [Island] Revealed guidebooks. We had one of those when we vacationed on Maui and it never steered us wrong.

The best prime rib I've ever eaten in my life was at Haleiwa Joes in Kaneohe. The atmosphere is awesome and the steak...well...go hungry. It is my understanding they have limited meals available so go early as it's "first come, first served." When we were leaving last time, there was a line out the door and a lady walking up and down the line to see who was getting Prime Rib...worried they'd run out before her group was seated! This was at 5 pm.

I don't know if you have access to K-bay MCBH but they have a nice selection of "Gate Guards" on display.

Last edited:
I was a wholesale travel agent for over 10 years, and I almost exclusively sold Hawaii packages to travel agents (You didn't think old travel agents knew anything about the places they sold packages to did you?)

Make sure that you get a Lei Greeting and Transfer to your hotel. Renting a car for the full time is a waste of money (parking fees are a B****H), if you need to, rent a car for a day or two only, and pick it up in Waikiki. They often have an intro breakfast, which is an opportunity to sell tour packages (where you can get some discount prices). Most tours have hotel pickups, so it's possible to go the entire trip w/o a rental car.

Me BBQ has Ono Local Grinds Cuz!!! Jus' mauka of the Waikiki Prince Kuhio (closed on Sundays) If you see a line for a restaurant, it's a good sign they have good food.
Climb Lē'ahi (Diamond Head), the views from the top are AMAZING! (cheap too)
Captain Bob's Snorkel Cruise was a lot more fun than I thought it would be.
Go with an arranged tour that takes you to the USS Arizona Memorial (and sit in the back of the launch out to the memorial for the best photos)
Paradise Cove Luau is a lot of fun, I liked the food and the booze.
For booze free Luau, the PCC (Polyneasian Cultural Center) can't be beat.
If you go with the guided tour of the PCC you'll get a ton more out of it than if you go self guided... It's a don't miss thing.
The Circle Island Tour is a great way to see almost the entire island, and gives you ideas on places to go back to if you do it early, then rent a car for a day.
Bike Hawaii Tours mountain bike tour is AWESOME!!! See lots of sights from the movies filmed in the beautiful Ka'a'ava Valley (and you could almost see my old house from there).
Lunch at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Hotel is a good deal.
I loved the North Shore Shark Cage Tour!
See if you can find a sunset dinner cruise (I liked the Alii Kai, but it's closed since I was a travel agent) they have great views of Waikiki at night.

I was a wholesale travel agent for over 10 years, and I almost exclusively sold Hawaii packages to travel agents (You didn't think old travel agents knew anything about the places they sold packages to did you?)

Make sure that you get a Lei Greeting and Transfer to your hotel. Renting a car for the full time is a waste of money (parking fees are a B****H), if you need to, rent a car for a day or two only, and pick it up in Waikiki. They often have an intro breakfast, which is an opportunity to sell tour packages (where you can get some discount prices). Most tours have hotel pickups, so it's possible to go the entire trip w/o a rental car.

Me BBQ has Ono Local Grinds Cuz!!! Jus' mauka of the Waikiki Prince Kuhio (closed on Sundays) If you see a line for a restaurant, it's a good sign they have good food.
Climb Lē'ahi (Diamond Head), the views from the top are AMAZING! (cheap too)
Captain Bob's Snorkel Cruise was a lot more fun than I thought it would be.
Go with an arranged tour that takes you to the USS Arizona Memorial (and sit in the back of the launch out to the memorial for the best photos)
Paradise Cove Luau is a lot of fun, I liked the food and the booze.
For booze free Luau, the PCC (Polyneasian Cultural Center) can't be beat.
If you go with the guided tour of the PCC you'll get a ton more out of it than if you go self guided... It's a don't miss thing.
The Circle Island Tour is a great way to see almost the entire island, and gives you ideas on places to go back to if you do it early, then rent a car for a day.
Bike Hawaii Tours mountain bike tour is AWESOME!!! See lots of sights from the movies filmed in the beautiful Ka'a'ava Valley (and you could almost see my old house from there).
Lunch at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Hotel is a good deal.
I loved the North Shore Shark Cage Tour!
See if you can find a sunset dinner cruise (I liked the Alii Kai, but it's closed since I was a travel agent) they have great views of Waikiki at night.
Can't get better recommendations than from a former travel agent and resident!
Arizona Memorial for sure. A very moving experience.
The beauty of a packaged tour is you don't waste time planning and scheduling. It's all done for you, including transportation.
Hanauma Bay is popular.
I'm not an avid hiker, but my favorite of those I've done is Lanipo trail, AKA Mau'u'mae.
It's an out and back trail, the end is at the top of a ridge.
Go a few feet to one side and view Honolulu and Leeward Oahu. Walk a few feet the other way and view Kaneohe and Wndward Oahu.
Views are very weather dependent. But even if the summit is socked in it's still an experience. Being inside a cloud with dew condensing on your arm hairs. Oops, TMI?
First half is easy, the second half is increasingly difficult and steeper, with pull ropes at some points. You may want to turn around at the halfway point and still enjoy some nice scenic views.
So you've been to Maui? I don't know of any lava tubes on Oahu. The only one I'm aware of is the Thurston lava tube in Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island.
I admit that I may be biased because I used to work at the hotel it's located in, but La Mer in Waikiki is the ultimate fine dining experience.
No comment.
As Ron mentioned we just had a launch yesterday. PM with him and maybe we can set something up before you leave. If not next visit.
Jus' mauka of the Waikiki Prince Kuhio
Translation of local lingo:
Mauka (mountainside) is north
Makai (seaside) is south
Ewa (toward the central Oahu plain) is west
Diamond Head is east.
Aloha.

Last edited:
My wife and I just got back from 3 weeks in Hawaii (our first time there). We stayed 12 days on Oahu, then 7 on the Big Island, and then back to Oahu for 2 last days.

On Oahu we did a helicopter tour of the island, Pearl Harbor (Arizona Memorial, Submarine Bowfin, Battleship Missouri, and the Aviation Museum). Went on three hikes, Waimea Falls (basically a walk on paved surface to a waterfall with a swim area). We did their Toa Lua which was great. Then we tried Wa'ahila Ridge trail. That was a HIKE! Needed to climb up/down rocks. But not too crowded so could stop and listen to nature. Finally did Manoa Falls. Actual path (not paved) but not too bad (in between the other two). But lots of people with lots of talking. We were going to try Diamond Head, but if you are driving you need to make reservations.

Both my wife and I wear glasses, so didn't want to try snorkeling, Did do a Scuba Scooter. You ride on it with a plexiglass bubble that your head goes in (think oversized old brass diving helmet, but larger and all plexiglass so you can look all around). There is a thruster so you can steer the scooter. You can't control up/down, but they bring you about 15' down. They also give you a fish food bag so you will get surrounded by fish.
1655695691834.jpeg

Also went to the the Dole Plantation and the Kualoa Ranch, where more movies and shows have used for a backdrop than virtually anywhere else.

Stopped by a beach to see some sea turtles. You are required to stay 10' away from them though.
Also did a sunset cruise tour.

For cultural stuff we went to Bishop Museum, Byodo Temple, and the Polynesian Cultural Center. Honestly, the Byodo Temple is rather small and I would skip it unless you just have spare time.

Finished off Oahu with a visit to the Sea Life Park including a Dolphin Encounter. Got to touch, feed, and swim with the Dolphins. The Sea Life Park is a bit small, but does have your typical Dolphin and Sea Lion exhibition. Also got to attend a shark feeding there.

My neck of the woods (I’m not Ronz Rockets - I’m The Other Ron). Definitely visit Kualoa Ranch: zip lines, atv tours, horseback riding, movie-set tours - they are all awesome. They filmed parts of the Jurassic Park and Jurassic World movies there, as well as dozens and dozens of other famous movies. So many that it’s fun to recognize the valley when we see it in random film and TV shows.

Hiking - where is it NOT good hiking on Oahu? I think the albatross chicks might be gone from Kaena now, but Crouching Lion is always spectacular. Maunawili Falls hike is amazing. There’s a hike in Pearl City that has some short-ish man-made tunnels through the rocks that are fun to go through: Waimano Ridge Trail. There’s a hike across the street from the McDonalds in Temple Valley that goes uphill to some WWII bunkers at the top with a *breathtaking* view of Kaneohe Bay called Puu Maelieli.

Restaurants: I don’t like overly-fancy restaurants, so my faves are places like Uncle Bo’s in Haleiwa. Or for breakfast, Breakers is good, also in Haleiwa - lots of good restaurants and food trucks in Haleiwa. The best sushi is a place called Mitch’s near the airport - doesn’t look like much from the outside (easy to miss) but it’s to die for.

For snorkeling hit up Sharks Cove. Or rent a kayak at Heeia State Park, paddle out to the sandbar, and/or snorkel around some magnificent coral heads. And if you are REALLY feeling adventurous, I’ve done this twice: hit up One Ocean Diving in Haleiwa. They will take you a couple miles out and you free-snorkel in the open water with sharks. Big, pelagic sharks - not no harmless Nurse sharks. No cages; just you, the water, and a crap-ton of beautiful Galapagos, Sand, and the occasional Tiger shark. Mind-blowingly fun and something you will never forget.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the input!

Too bad. We had a launch in Kaneohe last evening. We could set something up during the week, maybe Sandy Beach. The winds are crap so only B motors.

I’ll send you a DM.
As Ron mentioned we just had a launch yesterday. PM with him and maybe we can set something up before you leave. If not next
Thanks a ton for the offer. Sadly, I'll have to pass for this trip. I'm with family. I asked them, and sadly, they aren't too keen on watching some rockets go. I've been trying to get them into rockets, but it looks like that may be a while. For any future trips, I will let you know in advance and maybe we could set something up. I would definitely love to.

Restaurant at Ilakai Hotel Called Cinnamons. Great Eggs Benedict, Pancakes (many flavors, get a 4 stack of Red Velvet and be on glucose high for the day), and Kahlua Pork Nachos.

Charter House Restaurant (behind Ilakai) had Macadamia Crusted Mahi Mahi, some of the best fish I ever had (it's a special, so I don't know if they have it all the time.)

On the Strip, Noi Thai Restaurant was also very good, but unless you are used to really spicy hot food, ask them to go low on the spice.

Have fun!

Back