Vacation models build....11 new micros:)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The Better 2/3rds and I are back from a couple weeks at the Beach.

While I was there I had a chance to build some Micro's that have been on my Downscale list for awhile, many of the OLD K and Kc series models. With the possible exception of the Thor Agena-b semi Scale model. most of these are simple, old favorites that I've wanted in the downscale fleet.

All of the following still have to be primed and painted but the construction phase is complete.
T2+ Courier
T3 Drifter (K-14)
T3 Javelin (Centuri Kc-31)
T3 Nasa Pegasus (1376) Set up for single or 3 motor cluster.
T3 Modified Payloader-II (Centuri Kc-20)
T5/T2 Rainmaker
T3 Saros (K-54)
T2+ Screamer ( one of Estes original Tk-2 mini brute models)
T3 Sentinel (subing a Fliskit balsa nosecone)
T4/T2++ Thor Agena-b (K-28) Approx. scale 1:211
T3 Zinger

Also worked on a few 1/8A HD models, 3 different varients.

and an on-going R&D to Add PeeWee Payload to the NAR's standard payload events. with a single 1/8oz (3.5g) load for 1/8A, two for 1/4A and 3 for 1/2A impulse levels. Only trouble with these is getting the load in a standard length (70mm) T2 (.246") dia. tube. Seams the contest board is very particular about having the filling in a "sand" type consistancy. So far most of the different sands I've tried just don't quite cut it mass wise. It's a fun project! now looking at adding specific crushed stone content to get to the mass required.

All in all a very restful and productive vacation.
Heres the only pic i've gotten out of the camera so far...haven't even started unloading the Micro Mobile fab lab :lol:

I didn't to build pics on these simple models but did take a couple of the Micro motor mount construction with 49strand .018" dia Beading wire shock line anchors i've been using lately. These may be of some interest.
I'll add pic of the individual finished constructions as I get to them.
Depending on the weather I may start primering the lot this weekend?

View attachment 11 model group pic-sm_ Vacation 2008_09-20-08.JPG

nice builds, any chance of a close up of the rainmaker - i liked the tail end off that rocket.

nice builds, any chance of a close up of the rainmaker - i liked the tail end off that rocket.

Sort of:
Heres the only other pic I have of that model. I wasn't thinkng much, just building...didn't take many build pics the whole two weeks. It was so Nice, just kick back and build out on the screened porch. By the time I though about getting the camera out of the bag. 9 of this lot were already complete :lol:

View attachment MM 355p01a-sm_MM RainMaker (T5-T2)_09-15-08.JPG

View attachment MM 350p01b-sm_MM Courier (T2+) Close_09-10-08.JPG

MM 351p01a-sm_MM Drifter (T3)_09-11-08.JPG

View attachment MM 352p01a-sm_MM Javelin (T3)_09-12-08.JPG

View attachment MM 353p01a-sm_MM Pegasus (T3)_09-13-08.JPG

nice - thanks for the pics. - i don't know of any other rocket that has a tail end like the rain maker - its aerodynamics ain't good, but it looks good.

nice - thanks for the pics. - i don't know of any other rocket that has a tail end like the rain maker - its aerodynamics ain't good, but it looks good.

The Rainmaker was my youngest Daughters favorite model... she flew it more then any other in her fleet. It sits in a box upstairs since she went away to college, has now married and move to California of all places!
This downscale and the T3 Zinger are a Dads reminders of wonderful bygone days:(

I briefly considered making the upper portion of the Rainmaker T2+ and staging it but decided to save that modification for another trip and model.
I think the rainmaker fins are supposed to vaguely look like Arrow fletchings, It'll be a bit better when I get the paint and decals on;)

John those are great looking rockets :) How many micros does this most recent increase in population make? John I was also curious is recoverring these guys hard given their size?
Cheers
fred

Great vacation Micro, very productive!!!!

Nice looking builds.

Thanks Guys:
yes I was pleased with the number of OnePage Plan drawings and Models I was able to clean up this trip. They'll look a lot different, and better I hope after some primer, paint and decals:)

I did forget one of the build pics of the T3 Sentinel.

MM 358p01a-sm_T3 Sentinel_09-18-08.JPG

John those are great looking rockets :) How many micros does this most recent increase in population make? John I was also curious is recoverring these guys hard given their size?
Cheers
fred

Fred:
When these 11 are completed my Micro Fleet will have 160 different models. that doesn't count multi models in the competition model line. i'll bet that would take the total number of micro models over 200.

As for Recovery Fred... It really depends on a couple factors;
Actual size of the model, and recovery method.
Some of the very tiny models like the Nano-Dot, Teeny-Weeny Crayon, and micro Tornado, which are minimum diameter (.281") tubing and use tumble or break-apart recovery can be a challange to recover.
So far my only "single flight" model is the Nano-Dot. To date I've built and flown 4 and have yet to recover any:( It's simply too small and FAST! Even with 30 people watching, NO ONE could put an eye on the little buggers.

Most of the micro models I fly have at very least a 1/2" x 9" teflon plumbers tape streamer/wadding. Most have military grade colored teflon tape streamers, and some have 3" to 8" 1/4mil mylar chutes. Even Art Applewhites Bic Pen plan was altered to include a teflon streamer so I recovery it every time.

heres a look at the Teflon tapes I use as streamer which double as the FP permanent wadding, which saves a little weight and packing room:) and a converted Mosquito after recovery.

MM 294alp08b_Mosquito After recovery_06-16-07.JPG

John that is a lot of well constructed micros sir :) Thanks for the explanation re recovery as well. I must admit I am running out of space for regular LPR so I may try some micros soon :)
Cheers
fred

:lol: I sure can Identify with you on that one Fred!
It's one of the reasons I just LOVE micro modeling! After filling to overflowing a 10' x 10' x 12' shed and rockets in just about every room of the house... I had to do something!

Another Great Micro advantage: At what other Model size can one carry a complete fleet around in a couple Tool boxes! or When was the last time you had more then a hundred models on the field at a launch? That by itself it a great reason to start building micros.

Granted it does cause some choice problems with all of them there. A dilemma I've grown to truely enjoy:) I am now at a point I may have to start thinking about adding a third Micro Model Stroage Box:(

Over the weekend I didn't get as much accomplished as I'd hoped. with all the rain and cloudy dark weather I just didn't feel like messing with much. I did get all the raw models swing tested. (another micro PLUS... Swing testing in the basement :rotflol:) and nose weight adjusted only needed on two or 3. T3 Saros being a very long skinny model may not have really needed any extra nose weight but better safe than sorry so with it swing testing backwards I added some to get her to turn around:).
The 11 are now ready for priming. Hope to get to some of that this week.

Made a little progress over last weekend.
I'd been planning on devising some sort of Door Edge horizontal holding/drying rack, that was both stable and removable. I came up with a nice, simple yet very stable clip-on arrangement seen in the pics below.
Couldn't be any simpler, an 8'-0"- 2" x 2" was split giving me 2- 48" long pieces to work with. added top and bottom 1/4" plywood notched anchors with a couple of shims on the back side to allow a very firm slip-on fit. Placement of the door mounted cleats allows the door to be used normally with the rack removed leraving only the cleats.
One section was drilled with holes to accept a dozen 1/4" Hardwood dowel spraying holder sticks. the other drilled to take both 1/2" and 3/4" dowel or spent 18mm motor casing painting holders. I'm happy to say it works like a champ with only 8 tiny #4 FH wood screws in the door itself. Easy to fill should I ever decide to:)

Got all 11 primered and sanded but dropped and stepped on the Thor snapping off a couple fins so it had to be repaired and reprimed. it's just about caught up but is still in the sanded primered stage, awaiting remasking off of the clear fins.
Managed to get all 10 of the remaining little buggers two coated with White base gloss while a argue with myself on finish colors for several of the little birds.
Hope to have a couple completed and decaled before this weeks Sport and competition launch at which I'll be flying a couple New 1/8A HD models looking to extend my 64 second duration record. Keeping everything I have two of crossed the weather holds or improves for this week:)

View attachment 11b-sm_11 micros ready for primer_09-30-08.JPG

View attachment 11d-sm_10 models basecoat white_10-12-08.JPG

Managed to finish 4 of the 11 models this week while working on other stuff and 1/8A H/D's for this weekends Mars-31 regional meet.
did get all 11 sets of decals printed and UV clear coated. but just didn't have time to second colors the other models in the group. Completed are the T3 Drifter finished in maroon with gold/black decal.
T3 Nasa Pegasus in Rustoleum Lt Blue.
T3 Sentinel - Traditional white with the ton of decals.
T3 Zinger- Rustoleum Metallic Silver with black on silver decals.

sorry no pics yet, maybe sometime next week.

Edit:
Go home early, loaded up for the weekend Launch. Had some spare time to take and upload pics of the birds above.
Hope to get to fly these 4 this weekend?

11e1_10-of-11 in Color coat_10-13-08.jpg

MM 358p04-sm_MM Sentinel (T3) Complete_09-16-08.jpg

MM 359p02-sm_MM Zinger (T3) Complete_09-18-08.jpg

Well:
Took the 4 out with me to Mars-31 last weekend but didn't fly them, Winds stayed in the 12 -17mph range all day. 1/8A HD's didn't far much better in the breeze.
we'll try again next month I hope. By than all 11 could be complete.

Last night I got to use my Frog tape for the first time without sealing it with a clear coat.
Ran out of time to unmask, something I NEVER do. do we'll see if this stuff is all it's cracked up to be tonight when I unvail whatever will bleed will bleed :rotflol:

did put second color on another 6 and Gloss white on the Thor-Agena-B.

Tried mixing some brands again to check compatability, Rustoleum "American Herritage" line of rattle can (Big Nozzle) enemal over old formula Krylon White, and sun yellow.
On the Micro Screamer I purposely used a super heavy coat to see if it would lift the white on the nose cone. after about 15 minutes it appears to have worked fine on 3 day old Krylon old formula Sun Yellow. I'll check it and the greens again this evening.
have to take a couple pics before and after un-masking.

Should be time for a litte finessit-II work and decaling/detailing on the Saros.

Have to admit I'm pretty impressed with the performance of both 1 and 1-1/2" Frog masking tape. With only a couple very minor exceptions this stuff worked wonderfully! and the expection areas were mostly "operator error" in that I didn't take the time to really cut in some rather small places, missed burnishing down edges in these tight between fin areas or attempted to bridge/block an overhanding area (I know better) at a taped edge.
All that to say, You can indeed used frog tape without spraying a coat of clear first to seal the edges this stuff does seal itself on contact with paint.

John those look great :) Thats a lot of detail on a very small package.
Cheers
fred

Thanks Fred:
I'm really courious to see how the Micro Rainmaker comes out and flys, At BT-5 she may be kind of a Klunker on a single MMX motor.
If all goes well I should have everything but the Micro Saros finished tonight, somehow I forgot to mask of to 2nd color that ones fin and nose section:( I'm gonna try to get that done this evening. and do a little detail painting on the Thor-Agena as well.

Well here are the next 5 all ready for the launch pad. Still have some work to do on the Thro-Agena and Saros.
these are been a lot of fun to build, I'm hoping they are as much fun to fly:)

MM 350p01e-sm_MM Courier (T2+) Complete_10-23-08.jpg

MM 352p01d-sm_MM Javelin (Kc-31) T3 Complete_10-23-08.jpg

MM 354p01d-sm_MM Payloader-II (T3) Complete_10-23-08.jpg

MM 355p01d-sm_MM Rain Maker (T5) Complete_10-23-08.jpg

MM 357p01d-sm_MM Screamer (TK-2) T2+ Complete_10-23-08.jpg

Final 2 models of this batch are complete:
Fave to admit is did rush the Thor more then I should have trying to clear the build tables for a couple other projects in the works.....and it shows. About the only good new I have on this little Scale models is that the 18lb Hi-density urethane foam (SignFoam) filled and sealed pretty much like Balsa.

MM T3 Saros came out a little better then expected and should be a decent flyer as well with an Ewt. of 7.4g with it's streamer. At 9" long it's almost a micro superroc:lol:

On to a couple other working projects.

MM 356p01b-sm_MM Saros (T3) k-54 Decaled Complete_09-14-08.JPG

Thanks Fred:
It was kinda fun to build as well. I'm sure I'll spend a little more time with it after I get a few of these flown:)

Have you taken the plunge Yet? These little beauties are perfect for filling those Long winter nights:lol:
Hope to see some micros in your next set of flight pics.

Next on the Downscale list is the "Solar Flare".
Drawings are done, haven't quite finished the decals layouts yet, and I'm torn as to weather or not to go ahead and gap stage it or leave it as a single stage T3 micro??? I've even found a .375" OD clear payload section material with only 1/16" wall:D
Should be a fun build.

Thanks Fred:
It was kinda fun to build as well. I'm sure I'll spend a little more time with it after I get a few of these flown:)

Have you taken the plunge Yet? These little beauties are perfect for filling those Long winter nights:lol:
Hope to see some micros in your next set of flight pics.

Next on the Downscale list is the "Solar Flare".
Drawings are done, haven't quite finished the decals layouts yet, and I'm torn as to weather or not to go ahead and gap stage it or leave it as a single stage T3 micro??? I've even found a .375" OD clear payload section material with only 1/16" wall:D
Should be a fun build.
John I am far to fumble fingerred for the like of that. Who knows though as I like scale of all varieties:)
Cheers
fred

John I am far to fumble fingerred for the like of that. Who knows though as I like scale of all varieties:)
Cheers
fred

Now Fred that can't be true!
I've seen some of your Scale models...if you can do the detailing on them, you can for sure build Micros. expecially in the T3 and T4 size airframes.
I'll bet if you were to give a T3 or T4 Nike smoke a try it's have some real fun in your back yard launch area;)

Back