V2 2.0 - 3D Printed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OG1959

Reaction score
I'm working on another V2 3D printed rocket. I've scaled it down 60% from the previous build so that it accommodates a BT-50 body tube. I'm calling this one V2 2.0
Three days ago when I started this project my printer's control board failed so I ordered a new one from Amazon. After replacing the control board and updating the firmware I'm back up and running. :cool:
I printed several samples until I got the settings adjusted to produce a nice clean print. So far I have the fin section done which took 4.5 hours to print.

IMG_20210804_065020911.jpg

IMG_20210804_065032350_HDR.jpg

I've managed to get the printer settings where I like them. I discovered that the main thing to get clean blob free prints is to slow the print speed down to 60mms or less. This is printed in ABS.
Now I'll install a BT-50 tube and thrust ring. I want it to be able to fly on a D or C engine. First launch will be with a B.

Prototype prints in the background.

IMG_20210806_204225872_HDR.jpg

I've got the motor mount installed to accept a D-E motor and of course a A,B or C motor with an adapter. Looks like it's going to weigh about 5 oz ready to fly with a E motor. Of course more by the time I throw some weight in the nose cone to balance it out but it should go sky high!
IMG_20210814_165547842_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210814_165556927_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210814_165941459_HDR.jpg

Just about wrapping up this project. All that's left is paint & parachute and it's ready to launch. I had some leftover pieces from my prototyping and decided to throw together a smaller A motor version as well.

IMG_20210815_160259779.jpg

Would you be willing to share the print files you used? I'm interested in printing myself one.

Well crap!!Not only did I lose one, I lost two! Baby Bertha drifted far to the North and ended up just inside a hardwood forest. The V2 drifted south (from launch rod whip) and ended up just inside a hardwood & evergreen forest. Searched and searched, no joy.

I'll look again more in the fall when the leaves are off the trees and probably find them both. Challenge is getting up the tree to get them down.

Would you be willing to share the print files you used? I'm interested in printing myself one.
Sure. As noted on the image, these are from 1942, early development in Germany.

Attachments

• 15b98242fcbda85b47c8f3bafc99663a.jpg
    15b98242fcbda85b47c8f3bafc99663a.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 7
Well crap!!Not only did I lose one, I lost two! Baby Bertha drifted far to the North and ended up just inside a hardwood forest. The V2 drifted south (from launch rod whip) and ended up just inside a hardwood & evergreen forest. Searched and searched, no joy.

I'll look again more in the fall when the leaves are off the trees and probably find them both. Challenge is getting up the tree to get them down.
On the good side, being plastic, you may find it at the end of fall and it will still be fly-able, especially if it landed in a deciduous tree. And you will get a bonus, no charge weathering!

On the good side, being plastic, you may find it at the end of fall and it will still be fly-able, especially if it landed in a deciduous tree. And you will get a bonus, no charge weathering!
Totally thought of that V2 vs Baby Bertha. V2 will weather better by far.
Just a reminder that we're always vulnerable to the laws of physics and weather randomness. Can't always see the wind aloft. I should start reading pilot weather reports.

Certainly. I took these files and reduces them by 60% to print the version shown in this thread. The full size version that I built is in some trees about 35 miles south of today's loss.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2496074
This is what I meant when I said print files, but I guess I should have been more specific since "print files" could mean lots of things.

Can't always see the wind aloft. I should start reading pilot weather reports.
best bet is launch a “disposable” rocket on a streamer as your first rocket of the day (something like a Viking or Estes Generic that is no great loss if winds aloft are greater than anticipated.). Then again, winds change quickly. When I was at Altus AFB in Oklahoma, the saying was , “if you don’t like the weather, wait a minute!”

Back