V1 "Doodlebug"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetMan

Reaction score
Gang,

Here's a pic of my "sorta scale" Fi-103 cruise missile. I say sorta scale because I started with the diagrams and measurements in the Missile Index:

https://www.index.ne.jp/cgi-bin/sea...=fi103.html&fid=fi103&imgpath=/missile_e/gif/

and used a copier to get the body tube the right diameter (BT60) but somewhere along the line things went a little off. I also moved the wings back to reduce the amount of nose weight required.

The pulse jet is made from a BT55-50 transition that I hollowed out with a Dremel and shaped with sand paper. The tail cone is the balsa V2 cone that used to be available from Apogee.

It weighs in at 115 g (4 oz) without parachute, most of that weight in the nose. I added enough weight so that fully prepped, the CG was at the rear of the wings.

It flies great on C6-3s with ejection at apogee. A C6-5 provides a more scale like flight. I think a C6-7 might be a little too scale...

For a paint job I'm considering one of the colorful US JB-2 Loon schemes.

MetMan

That's very nice, looks good. I like semi-scale models like that.

My neighbor and I are planning on building a working pulse jet. They are a pretty neat idea, and there is plenty of info about them on the web.

shrox

Graet looking project Metman. I love ths vintage WWII stuff. A few months ago I checked out a book on the subject called:
Lufteaffe Secret Projects-Fighters1939-1945, Author: Walter Schick and Ingolf Meyer, ISBN# 1 85780 0524. This book had many other potential projects that I have never seen on the web.

Thanks Jim Pierson,

Back