V For Velocity: Thin Wall Fiberglass 54mm High Velocity Rocket for LDRS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys!

I'm still awaiting shipment of the cone, so there's little to be done until I get that. The fillets came out pretty well, however some filling and sanding will be required.

I've begun contemplating recovery. There's 2 options:

1. Dual deploy with Cable cutter
2. Redundant apogee main deploy

I am actually steering toward option 2, with some concern. That concern is the need for a small chute, on the order of a 24" of some kind. I like this because it's less complex and more comforting that the rocket will separate. I don't like it because the rocket will be falling fast and considerably more prone to drifting a long way. That being said, when my Mongoose popped its 24" chute at 17,000' it landed only 1.09 miles away...needless to say I'm torn.

The cable cutter doesn't add much weight, but it does add complexity. If I deploy the bundle at 20,000' I still run the risk that the rocket will inadvertently deploy the main at a high altitude, but now it's a bigger chute. I also now only have one chance at deploying the nosecone.

So...opinions? Do I run a Hail Mary timer with a micro LiPo?

Last edited:
questions... with the nosecone so light and no payload tube, do you have to worry about it streamlining on the way down if there is no drogue or streamer? also, if it comes down under a 24" chute will it be going fast enough to be dangerous?

questions... with the nosecone so light and no payload tube, do you have to worry about it streamlining on the way down if there is no drogue or streamer? also, if it comes down under a 24" chute will it be going fast enough to be dangerous?

Yes and maybe.

This is really no different than Wildman's recommendation to recover his Eagle Claw Sport on an 18" chute. It will come down fast (fps TBD), but I think it will be marginally safe.

Total weight of the tube, fins, and fillets is 448g (15.8oz). A quick weight of the shock cord, altimeter sled, battery, and 20" CII Skyangle results in another 260g (9.17 oz). All that remains is the altimeter, nosecone, and ejection charges before I can get a full up weight.

Just a note, the swivel on the Skyangle is 25g. I think I may use a PML 24" Durachute if I can find somewhere to buy one.

For my own knowledge, can someone weigh one of the 54mm CTI cones?

Here are some of the pics of the altimeter sled. Thanks again to Chris at Ape-RC for the custom job!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1423410786.507311.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1423410805.390827.jpg

I had posted the weight of the 54mm cti cone on here somewhere...
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?p=761411

Wow, considerably lighter than I was expecting. I think it's pretty feasible that this will come in under 2# less motor.

About 2.85# of propellant, unsure of what the rest of the motor will weigh. The Mongoose was about 8.8# on the 17,000' flight. This should be an improvement...

Time to resurrect this thread from its short slumber....

Received the CTI cone. Added a few strips of masking tape to fit nice and snug inside of the tube. The result? 97g nosecone!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1423773642.600446.jpg

The cone is a little on the short and stubby side, but that's okay. It's lightweight and function (smooth inside) make up for it in my eyes.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1423773719.368407.jpg

What you see in the picture weighs 544.5g (19.2oz).

Now that I have the nosecone, I can start playing around with the Ape-RC altimeter sled and mount!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1423773999.439317.jpg

The fit is fantastic. This plate will be glued flush with the aft end of the shoulder to permit as much room for the Telemetrum antenna as possible. Even then, it may need to be shortened slightly to fit. Any comments on how badly this will affect the functionality or range of the transmission?

Do not trim an antenna, antenna work by being a specific length that lets the signal set up a standing wave in the wire so they need to be a multiple or specific fraction of the wavelength of the signal

Do not trim an antenna, antenna work by being a specific length that lets the signal set up a standing wave in the wire so they need to be a multiple or specific fraction of the wavelength of the signal

Very good advice. Antenna length is very important for a receiver but even more important for a transmitter.

Greg

This project is on hold for a little bit!

image.jpg
Ryan Daniel
Born on 2/15/15 at 4:59am
19" long, 7lb 10.1oz

Mommy and baby are doing great!

Last edited:
Nice build Dan! ;^)

Haha, no pictures for that build thread!

He also isn't likely to hit Mach 2.

Funny story...the test batch of the propellant for this rocket is currently sitting in the KitchenAid without curative. I was mixing on Saturday prior to visiting my wife at work to drop off Valentine's gifts. Her water broke while I was there!

The tower is essentially done, too...just need to assemble.

Heyyyyy,,,,
That's a biggie Dan,,
A big congratulations man....
Please tell the proud mommy I said the same...
Good for you Dan...
I remember you told me you guy's were expecting....

Great for you Dan,,, that's wonderful.........

Teddy

Congratulations! Your life will never be the same. That is not a bad thing though! Enjoy them growing up because it happens to fast. Mine are 36 - 26 yrs. old.

He also isn't likely to hit Mach 2.

Funny story...the test batch of the propellant for this rocket is currently sitting in the KitchenAid without curative. I was mixing on Saturday prior to visiting my wife at work to drop off Valentine's gifts. Her water broke while I was there!

Congrats man! I hope you're enjoying every minute of it. That's really too cool on the timing! Wow.

As for mach two, probably not... BUT I did some test fitting with the twins.... You can absolutely fit a baby in a 5.5" tube...but I think 7.5 would be more comfortable.... 60 skyangle will come down nice and soft......

As for mach two, probably not... BUT I did some test fitting with the twins.... You can absolutely fit a baby in a 5.5" tube...but I think 7.5 would be more comfortable.... 60 skyangle will come down nice and soft......

What is 10cm in inches?

Obvious name: the dilator.

Thanks for the kind words guys, having this little guy around has been a truly rewarding experience. I'll get back in the saddle on this build soon enough!

Back