USS Dueces Wild NCC 82338

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
I've finnaly lost my mind I think...

I decided to try to make a Duece in a style that no one has done yet. I'm a big Star Trek fan, and while I was watching hours of Trek DVDs I came up with this.

It's just getting to priming stages, and you'll have to imagine the clear bubble that covers the deflector dish on the nose.

Here's a side view unpainted. You can see the shape of the bridge and the warp naceles before details.

Heres the rear of the naceles. I made the yellow-scoop things like on the Enterprise out of estes motor spacerers. The orbs are acrylic cabacon jewels from Michaels. I also added motor hooks (on the "impulse engines" )...Sorry guys, I'm a little lazy..

Here's a close up of the warp drive ends. I think they came out cool.

This is a close up of the bridge, and a pic of it with the jewel added to be it's top dome.

The discs of the bridge are made from the wood removed from the origional nose of the Duece. I figured that may help to keep weight similar to the origional befor I add more to compensate for the extra in the back of the bird...If that makes any sense...

And it meant I didn't have to carve little discs..:D

I was trying to put multiple pics on this post, so you guys don't have to go through a million of them, but I can't figure it out. Anyway, here's the other bridge pic..

This is what will be the sensor array. The dish is made from a dremel bit and a fishing bobber from my tackle box. The bubble to cover it is from a hair spray can lid. You can see the grove cut in the nose to accomidate the bubble. It's funny, the bit I used to make the groove is the center of the dish....I guess I need to replace that..

I meant to mention earlier, if anyone goes to shape those little paper spacers for motors from estes, soak them in ca, or they are a real #$%*& to smooth otherwise. To cut the groove on the nose for the bubble I also soaked with glue (titebond) to get a semi-clean cut.

Here is a pic of it after a priming.

That brings us about up to date. I plan to put the first white paint on her tomarrow, and construct the rest of the deflector dish and paint it. I have red jewels to install in the fronts of the naceles when that's all done.

The next step is to finish up the decals I've been working on in Appleworks 6. I'll post more pics when she's done.

This pic is of the aft end primed.

Last pic for tonight. My girlfriend shot this one, and I think it's great. I want her to take another one in this pose when it's done.

We need to start a new club, a sub-set of TRF membership, for those who qualify as truly warped (get it? Star Trek? warped? ahem . . )
I'm kinda surprised that you didn't put those warp-drive nacelles on the tips of two of the aft fins?

Powderburner-
I thought of that. At first I thouht to put a small nacelle on the end of each. I decided to put them close to the body 'cause I was worried about stability. Now I think I could have gotten away with it.

Your a trek fan too. I knew your were cool...:)

Awesome! Very cool design. I personally am not a fan of Star Trek (not that I don't think it's cool, I just don't watch), but this is yet another great looking Deuce. Jim, where the heck are you?! Check this thing out!

Hmm...the world needs a Deuce's Wild online shrine. :)

Thanks Eugene-
I'm especially a fan of 60's Star trek, hence the bird's lines. I can't wait to show you guys it done with decals. I'm a computer moron, so gett'in the decals as far fas I have freaks me out.

Thanks LtSharpe (is that name from the Sharpe's Rifles novels, just curious)-

I'm glad you guys are digging this. I have worked a long time on it. When you see the finished product you will see the true levels of my dorkdom.

I'm painting it now, listening to the Misfits (origional). I just hope this thing works with all the gizmos I've stuck on it..

The original Star Trek is the best.

Captain Kirk could over-act with the best of them:D

Very cool lines on that Duece! ;)

BobH48-
Definately. 60's trek is the best. I grew up with it second hand. When I was in school I watched every afternoon. My mom turned me on to it. It was being origionally aired when she was in college. She said everyone (the cool people) went down to the basement of her dorm at Deuquense University to watch the only TV there was to watch it. So Star Trek (the origional series -TOS- as it is known now) and Star Trek The Animated series (TAS-I found this on my own), were the coolest thing ever when I was a young'in. My momma wouldn't lie.:D I stil love it several series's later.

Originally posted by eugenefl
Awesome! Very cool design. I personally am not a fan of Star Trek (not that I don't think it's cool, I just don't watch), but this is yet another great looking Deuce. Jim, where the heck are you?! Check this thing out!

Hmm...the world needs a Deuce's Wild online shrine. :)

Gimme a break, this thread's only 3 hours old!!! LOL

I gotta admit, this was the FIRST Deuce thread where I was a little nervous opening up the picture... :p

you have done an OUTSTANDING job! I can not wait to see this completed! Keep this one in mind for an upcoming contest (see the contest thread in a few minutes...)

As for Star Trek, i'm a big fan. I even got invited to the premier showing of ST IV (The Voyage Home) in Boston with Nemoy and Majel Roddenberry (way kewl).

My 15 seconds of fame, with regard to Star Trek comes from a CAD drawing that I did of NCC-1701A. I did this incredibly detailed line drawing (detailed to the point where I was offered a job to draw other ships for the blue print publisher). When i took one to a convention (got the entire crews autograph on it too :) ), I showed Majel Roddenberry and she signed it and fell in love with it and asked if she could have one for Gene (it's a 24" X 36" print on velum) and I said sure and went to get one from my car. When I got back she handed me two back stage passes to the Star Trek set (never got to use them, but still have them).

During either the 3rd or 4th season I got a letter informing me that my print was in an upcoming episode (can't recall which one at the moment). Turns out there is a scene in Capt Picard's bedroom as as the camera pans around the room, you can see my print, framed, hanging on the wall.

I was shocked!

:D
Geekdom is my home, and I am comfortable there :)

jim

But of course! To some of us, Mr Sharpe is in indeed a 'propah officah!' (sharpe fans know what I am talking about, the rest , please ignore me lol)

Yeah, I've seen all the shows and read most of the full size novels. Don't care much for the smaller orange books. His(Cornwell's) newer full length novels though are fantastic. Tiger, Prey, Trafalgar, Devil etc etc etc All the novels are great.

Originally posted by Justin
Thanks LtSharpe (is that name from the Sharpe's Rifles novels, just curious)-

I'm glad you guys are digging this. I have worked a long time on it. When you see the finished product you will see the true levels of my dorkdom.

I'm painting it now, listening to the Misfits (origional). I just hope this thing works with all the gizmos I've stuck on it..

Originally posted by jflis
Geekdom is my home, and I am comfortable there :)

jim

I saw a t-shirt online with a silhouette of the TOS Enterprise and one word beneath it - "Geek". Too bad i can't be trusted with a credit card :p

I was ironing clothes about a week ago and stumbled upon ST VI on the tube. My wife comes home from a biz meeting and says, "I can't believe you're watching this!" What?? I figure she shouldn't be surprised!

Justin, that Deuce is excellent. BTW, how did you choose the registry number?

Jim-
I'm glad you like the duece. I'm still working on the decals. I think its gonna turn out pretty cool.

You have art work in an episode! I'm so jelaous. You got to go to a movie premier too! How did you meet those guys?

Sort of off topic...but not really...

I just finished W. Shatner's book "Get A Life" a funny read and these guys (cast members) are just as wacko as all the fans!

Man, Shatner realy gives Leonard Nemoy a hard time...why...'cause he can! LOL!

BTW...the book is usually available on the clearance rack at any bookstore for...maybe...$2!...HARDCOVER!:)

Originally posted by Justin
Jim-
I'm glad you like the duece. I'm still working on the decals. I think its gonna turn out pretty cool.

You have art work in an episode! I'm so jelaous. You got to go to a movie premier too! How did you meet those guys?

I donated a pretty good sum to the whale foundation and also did some web work for them. That got me a pass to the convention ( a creation convention i beleive) where I met the entire cast. George Takei was the best (Sulu). I happened to get to him as he was waiting to go on stage after Roddenberry and I had just pulled out the drawing of the Enterprise when security grabbed my arm to pull me away so that George could "compose himself" before going on stage.

George stopped him and said that I was with him! So we went behind the stage (out of view of the fans) and he and I got down on our hands an knees with this print layed out and went over every inch of it. He was thrilled that Gene was spending more time talking LOL

I've got a great picture of him and I somplace, I'll dig it up. He is a wonderful person and very *pumped*.

jim

I also got to meet Mr. Takei at a con, way back in like 1980. He was promoting a SF book he had co-written with Robert Aspirin. Apparently I grilled him mercilessly about it at a panel discussion because when it was over he pointed right at me and said "Now go read the book!" But he said it with a big smile. He was very gracious.

Sandman, I listened to Shatner's "Get A Life" book on tape, read by the author. It was a LOT of fun. Highly recommended to any Trek fan. Sounds like over the years, Mr. Shatner has humbled himself. :)

The only TOS cast member I ever ran into at a con was Walter Koenig (spelling?). My buddy and I were like 12. It was so funny. My friend Eric asked him that when the aggonizer was put on him in so and so episode (Mirror Mirror, I think?) was he really in intense pain, or was he acting. He looks at Eric with a straight face and says, "Real pain, it was escruciateing". And then he walks away. I picked on Eric for weeks about it.

Later on he took a picture with me in my homemade Wrath of Kahn Starfleet uniform. He was a pretty nice guy, even though he jibed Eric a little...

On a fishing trip to Canada as a kid we got on a plane at LAX to go to Vancouver non stop. We passed James Doohan(scotty) sitting in first class as we went past to coach. I was too chicken to say anything, plus I could hardly believe it was him. I later learned that there was a star trek convention in vancouver the next day. It's a shame he's got so many illnesses now, from all I have read he's a really neat guy.

Back