USPS UPS Fedex and Amazon Deliveries

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think if the USPO eliminated the express, express plus, overnight, etc, there would be alot much less hate. Just say "it will get there, not sure when" would be refreshing. (This is from a guy who has been waiting for an "overnight express" since the 14th)

Package volume normally doubles between Thanksgiving and Christmas. This not a normal year! Many carriers like UPS and FedEx suspend their service guarantees on air packages during this period because of the difficulty in handling the sheer volume. With Covid 19 people aren't shopping in stores as much and ordering online. The virus has created big challenges for all employers including delivery companies. When you see your mail carrier or other delivery driver, give them a tip this holiday. They are working extra hard for you!

I'm just lucky. I have no complaints with the Post Office. Now the Fed Ex driver, that's a different story. I've received several crushed boxes from him. Not from other Fed Ex drivers, just this new guy. The last crushed box was from Apogee and you know how they pack stuff. The end of the box looked like it had been kicked in. Only 2 crushed tubes. I have a claim in.

I'm just lucky. I have no complaints with the Post Office. Now the Fed Ex driver, that's a different story. I've received several crushed boxes from him. Not from other Fed Ex drivers, just this new guy. The last crushed box was from Apogee and you know how they pack stuff. The end of the box looked like it had been kicked in. Only 2 crushed tubes. I have a claim in.
Don't necessarily blame the driver. I worked in management for UPS for 10 years. The reality is that the majority of damage (FedEx, UPS, etc.) occurs in the conveyor systems. A typical UPS or FedEx hub will have over a mile of conveyor belts. This time of year they are jamming as much package volume through these systems as they can, just to keep up.

Anybody who is legally obligated to run a delivery and pickup service for every address in the nation, and do it at rates stipulated by someone else, and does it in a timely manner most of the time has my respect, admiration, and appreciation despite the occasional screw up. Yes, I said occasional. Do they really screw up, not a hundred times but more than 130 times as often as UPS or FedEx? I think not. I think they're damn good at what they do.

EDIT: I just checked on my package from Public Missiles. It left Michigan on 12/10 and has yet to arrive at my door. I stand by what I wrote above all the same.
The order from Public Missiles arrived today. I'm not happy that it had to take so long. But I'm still not complaining. Feces happen. This year, lots of feces have happened. This year is a big, steaming pile of feces. Shipping delays are really just the littlest of turds.

The people who normally deliver packages quite well and this month find themselves burried and overwhelmed and failing in their mission due to factors beyond their control are no happier about it.

I think if the USPO eliminated the express, express plus, overnight, etc, there would be alot much less hate. Just say "it will get there, not sure when" would be refreshing. (This is from a guy who has been waiting for an "overnight express" since the 14th)
From: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ortedly-plans-eliminate-two-day-delivery.html

Not the finest news source, but you can get a flavor of what's coming. UPS & Fedex only for me from now on, except for the occasional letter.

Postmaster General Louis DeJoy 'plans to eliminate two-day delivery for first-class mail and hike postage rates' as USPS struggles with billions in losses
  • DeJoy is reportedly considering eliminating two-day delivery for first-class mail
  • Already, less than half of letters in that category are delivered on time
  • Plan would also see all first-class mail shipped by truck instead of airplane
  • Changes would coincide with a significant price hike in postage
  • USPS is struggling financially even after a record holiday quarter last year

iG37VPa.jpg

Don't necessarily blame the driver. I worked in management for UPS for 10 years. The reality is that the majority of damage (FedEx, UPS, etc.) occurs in the conveyor systems. A typical UPS or FedEx hub will have over a mile of conveyor belts. This time of year they are jamming as much package volume through these systems as they can, just to keep up.
With the exception of rocket venders because they pack their items to withstand a nuclear war but most of the time the reason why your package is damaged is because the shipper packs the parcel themselves not knowing how to properly pack it, using an old box thats already falling apart. Conveyor belts will damage a box but to the point to where it has to be repackaged entirely.

With the exception of rocket venders because they pack their items to withstand a nuclear war but most of the time the reason why your package is damaged is because the shipper packs the parcel themselves not knowing how to properly pack it, using an old box thats already falling apart. Conveyor belts will damage a box but to the point to where it has to be repackaged entirely.
That is correct. A cardboard container looses about half of it's strength after being shipped once. A lot of damage occurs to to improper packing and the reuse of shipping boxes.
UPS has a package testing facility. For high volume shippers they will test and design shipping containers for customers, at no charge.
One of my customers was shipping live salt water fish, overnight. They were having problems with many of the fish arriving dead. The test facility designed cartons and packing with the addition of hot and cold packs (depending on the environment being sent to). The result was a very effective way to ship these expensive fish with little loss.

yeah, chalk this up to another thing that might seem simple, but "knowing" goes a long way. Experience does too..

UL has a directive for packaging & specific drop tests in order to pass. I've designed packaging..

many people think:
  • The the driver personally drives it to the destination, or maybe hands it off to another driver
  • That they packages are all handled buy people (no automation: conveyor or other "machines")
  • That the machines are really gentle, and that the orientation is maintained through-out the delivery
  • that "packaging" consists of any or all: bubble pack, peanuts, crumpled paper, popcorn, etc.. And that they all interchangeable, regardless of what is being shipped..
  • If eh post office sells it (or U-line, or..), its guaranteed to work; the right for the job..
UPS and others have (used to have?) notes on their sites that special markings such as 'this side up' or 'fragile' are not respected, and items should be packaged as to not require these special conditions. UPS also had that their drivers were to ask you, and point out that packages marked "fragile" would not be guaranteed.

yeah, chalk this up to another thing that might seem simple, but "knowing" goes a long way. Experience does too..

UL has a directive for packaging & specific drop tests in order to pass. I've designed packaging..

many people think:
  • The the driver personally drives it to the destination, or maybe hands it off to another driver
  • That they packages are all handled buy people (no automation: conveyor or other "machines")
  • That the machines are really gentle, and that the orientation is maintained through-out the delivery
  • that "packaging" consists of any or all: bubble pack, peanuts, crumpled paper, popcorn, etc.. And that they all interchangeable, regardless of what is being shipped..
  • If eh post office sells it (or U-line, or..), its guaranteed to work; the right for the job..
UPS and others have (used to have?) notes on their sites that special markings such as 'this side up' or 'fragile' are not respected, and items should be packaged as to not require these special conditions. UPS also had that their drivers were to ask you, and point out that packages marked "fragile" would not be guaranteed.
Yep! In a small package environment the packages spend the most time in automated systems, not in peoples hands. Therefore, markings like 'fragile' or 'this side up' don't work. Also, drivers and package handlers ignore them!
As far as packaging material, newspaper compresses during shipment. This can allow items to become loose and get damaged. Packing peanuts don't compress much allowing outside pressure to the container to be transferred to the items being shipped. Bubble wrap will give off vapors in warm environments leaving a film on items which is very hard to remove. All packing materials have pros and cons. You are right, knowledge and experience go a long way.

a funny story:
In a past life, the co. I worked for sold a 'moisture sensor' for concrete mixers (stationary, not the trucks) and this thing was a 4" dia x 10" stainless steel pipe with a suitable pipe flange attached. We are talking a tank of a thing, and just as heavy! A customer said they were having issues with theirs, so we asked them to return it. They did.

When it arrived, the box was barely holding together. it was just flattened cardboard & tape. (it was a square corrugated box) and inside was the sensor, wrapped in layers of what used to be bubble pack. It probably did some damage to the shipping system's conveyors & such as it went roiling & crashing about in this obviously inferior & beaten packing method.

We discovered two things that day:
  • The sensors can survives being shipped by modern-day equipment & shippers
  • Despite the extra printing on the box: "Save this box for returns" people obviously don't read.

I ordered some parts last month. Still not here, so I sent an email. The stuff is on the way, from Dallas to OKC, through Orlando.

a funny story:
In a past life, the co. I worked for sold a 'moisture sensor' for concrete mixers (stationary, not the trucks) and this thing was a 4" dia x 10" stainless steel pipe with a suitable pipe flange attached. We are talking a tank of a thing, and just as heavy! A customer said they were having issues with theirs, so we asked them to return it. They did.

When it arrived, the box was barely holding together. it was just flattened cardboard & tape. (it was a square corrugated box) and inside was the sensor, wrapped in layers of what used to be bubble pack. It probably did some damage to the shipping system's conveyors & such as it went roiling & crashing about in this obviously inferior & beaten packing method.

We discovered two things that day:
  • The sensors can survives being shipped by modern-day equipment & shippers
  • Despite the extra printing on the box: "Save this box for returns" people obviously don't read.
It amazes me how people will keep reusing boxes and expect it to get to its destination in one peace.

It amazes me how people will keep reusing boxes and expect it to get to its destination in one peace.
I used to buy a LOT of collectibles from eBay and it shocked me how many people have absolutely no idea if how to properly and safely pack...even got a large gas hobby boat (retails for hundreds) in a box smaller than the boat and the front sticking out of the box! The rear prop drive was smashed when it arrived.
I also used to be a large collectibles seller... I would double-box items bagged and foam peanuts and sometimes even folded cardboard supports and suspension of my own design. I blame a lot of damage on the sender rather than all on the service.

How fast or slow are model rockets motors shipping via USPS parcel post these days. I just bought some from Bellevue Hobby and their website says up to 21 days.....As long as they get here by April 10th....that's 2021. not 2022. On the other hand I ordered some rocketry items on Amazon 2 days ago and they are already here. The longest so far was an item from Ontario Canada, from order time to delivery (the ice storm and snow storm hit in between) took 6 weeks. That was Canada Post. On the other hand within 10 days I got an order from the UK with Royal Post and another took about 3 weeks....

I used to buy a LOT of collectibles from eBay and it shocked me how many people have absolutely no idea if how to properly and safely pack...even got a large gas hobby boat (retails for hundreds) in a box smaller than the boat and the front sticking out of the box! The rear prop drive was smashed when it arrived.
I also used to be a large collectibles seller... I would double-box items bagged and foam peanuts and sometimes even folded cardboard supports and suspension of my own design. I blame a lot of damage on the sender rather than all on the service.
+1. I will no longer get any OOP kits from Ebay as most sellers do not package things properly or use decent boxes, and I have had about half of these items damaged, and largely unreplaceable. The rocketry vendors do a great job of packaging and I have only had one prblem with that over the last 5 years.

Back