USPS seems to be having some problems.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You somehow seem to believe that subsidies work by taking tax dollars to directly cover a difference in cost. This is not how subsidies work. I would go into how supply and demand markets work, but instead I'll point you to your local community college for a Macroeconmics class.

"Subsidies" are simply taxpayer money run thru a few different channels to make the masses believe the money is not coming straight out of their pocket. Which it is. No Macroeconomics class needed, page one of economics I believe. Call them subsidies, tax breaks, handouts, grants, the money is coming from somewhere, and that somewhere is you & me. Thus endith my political, religious, and taking money out of my pocket to pay for failing businesses rant. I will never speak of it again.

"Subsidies" are simply taxpayer money run thru a few different channels to make the masses believe the money is not coming straight out of their pocket. Which it is. No Macroeconomics class needed, page one of economics I believe. Call them subsidies, tax breaks, handouts, grants, the money is coming from somewhere, and that somewhere is you & me. Thus endith my political, religious, and taking money out of my pocket to pay for failing businesses rant. I will never speak of it again.
You can drop the mike, but the USPS is supposed to provide a service- it was never intended to be a business for profit.

Remind me - what is bad about privatizing the USPO? If it were private now, it would have shut down a decade ago, why are we subsidizing a loser again?

Because the US has historically valued subsidizing certain services for all of its citizens, including perennially unprofitable rural ones: communications (phone, internet), entertainment (OTA TV broadcasts), electricity, and mail delivery.

Most of those subsidies are orders of magnitude greater than USPS P&L, with or without fake losses imposed by the artificial 75-year pension prefunding mandate.
Try $5-8 Billion per year for rural telecom subsidies alone:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Service_Fundhttps://www.cnet.com/news/fcc-to-create-9-billion-5g-subsidy-program-for-rural-america/https://www.ustelecom.org/wp-conten...A-Review-of-Rural-Subsidies-final-paper-1.pdf
Without subsidies, no private (or public) business would provide phone (wireline or wireless), internet, or mail services to the rural 2/3ds of the country.

Ironically, the areas that binge on the subsidies the most, claim to be the most ardent adherents and protectors of capitalism and free markets :dancingelephant:

uneconomic areas in the US.jpg

Affordable because you are subsidizing with your tax dollars - Money isn't coming from nowhere

No kidding.
Most of us here are indirectly paying for rural America's phone, internet, TV, electricity, and mail services.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Very valid afadeev.

Where I live, I can't get a pizza delivered. There is no cable. There is no DSL. The phone lines were so bad that we couldn't make a call when it was raining. Satellite internet is $130/month, and that's not unlimited data (no matter what they tell you). On my daily route to work, there is nothing but agriculture for 40 miles once I leave my house. Not even a gas station.

Yes, UPS does deliver here and they charge about $14 to send a 5 oz package to the next county. USPS will do it for about $4.

And wherever you are, good luck asking UPS or FedEx to deliver anything for 55¢.

Because my couple priority shipments have gone through ok, I've decided to add that as a shipping option. Before it was all just going First Class as I rarely get an order that exceeds 1 lb.

FedEx and UPS are just absurdly expensive for the types of packages I ship, so they really aren't viable options.

My take:

-USPS has to exist with its obligation to deliver anywhere because UPS and FedEx have lousy to no service in some remote areas. The more remote you are, the worse the service from those two.

-How good the service is from any of the three just varies by where you live. When I lived in San Diego, the USPS was awful while UPS and FedEx were great. Now on the eastern shore, USPS and UPS have been fine while FedEx has repeatedly lost my packages at their Chesapeake, VA facility. Ever since they lost a grill that we had shipped from Lowe's, if I'm not choosing exactly how to ship a package, I leave a request not to use FedEx in the order notes.

-I will hear no talk about cancelling Saturday delivery. Back before I was married, working ten hours or more a day, and getting 1-2 international packages a month, Saturday was the only time I could get anything that I had to sign for. If we have to cancel a delivery day to save money, cancel a weekday.

I'm also of the opinion that cancelling Saturday mail is absurd. Pandemic aside, my wife and I both work and Saturday is when we accept signature required packages including controlled substance medications.

Plus, I like getting mail on Saturday.

If you need to monkey with the finances, fix the excessive retirement prepay or tweak mail prices a bit to cover the gap.

The post is a pillar of our society and must not be removed or undercut.

Sure, we've all had our horror stories of problems with the USPS, me included. But think about it...it's the only delivery service that delivers to EVERY PERSON IN THE US SIX DAYS A WEEK! And all for $0.55! No matter where you are...Hawaii and Alaska included. I'm on the east coast and can send something to my son on the west coast for $0.55...that's just insane! Try to do that with Fedex or UPS. We've all gotten complacent with the ridiculously low cost of the USPS. Want to fix the PO? Raise the first class rate to $1.00. You're going to tell me a buck is too much to send a letter coast-to-coast?

........And has been losing money on every transaction since 1970. Financially better off as a country if the post office did not exist. If there is a need for post office type service, someone will fill the void.

Maybe, maybe not. I occasionally do work in a country that has no mail service. None. Zero. Nada. No post offices, no FedEx, no UPS, no Interstate highways, no long haul or short semi-trucks, nothing. Anything we ship there has to go one of two ways, a) somebody carries it in their luggage, of b) we put it in a seagoing container (full or partial, we can pack waterproof "barrels" that will be loaded, with others, into a container) and ship it, literally, and then make arrangements of our agents there to pick it up on arrival. There is, potentially, a third option, air freight (basically buying cargo space in a passenger airliner) but most airlines won't do it, and corruption is rampant enough that the odds of losing the package enroute are pretty high. It is difficult to image how hard it is to do... most everything, when you can't mail checks, buy spare parts, get drawings from school children, send thank you notes, and all kinds of everyday things that we regularly take for granted. It is even difficult to navigate to find someone's residence. Why? Because it is the Post Office that organizes and regulates street addresses. Without a functioning post office, there are, sort of, street names, but determining a house address (most often such a thing doesn't exist) or an apartment number are nearly impossible. Even on passport and visa applications we write in the address box things like "near the corner of these two streets, on the top of the hill."

Look at a map of the United States. The Post office, and home mail delivery, was never profitable, nor available, outside of any major city until the federal government determined that such a service was needed to unify the country. That decision created RFD (rural free delivery). Then, for a very long time, the profits made from shipping packages paid for/subsidized, the cost of first class mail. But the advent of package deliver services (UPS, FedEx, et al.) stole the most profitable piece of the Post Office's business. Without the Post Office, most rural (non-urban) addresses might still not be able to get mail and that would be bad for anyone who sold most anything. Why? You can't send them a bill. You can't send them a notice that their package is at the post office in town. They can't use credit cards because the credit card company can't mail them a bill. Your local newspaper will probably go bankrupt since most newspapers are currently surviving on the advertising revenue generated by the grocery store ads that the post office delivers each week. And, since most of the major media outlets have already laid off most of their reporters, when those local newspapers close, the entire nation will lack access to accurate reporting (other than Twitter and Tik Tok) about anything that is happening outside of urban areas.

And, if your sentiment was consistent, then all those folks in rural areas wouldn't have electricity either. Why? Because since RFD was so successful, and so important, a few generations later, the government similarly mandated that those same rural areas be given access to electricity (Rural Electrification). Selling electricity in many parts of our country still isn't profitable, nor is telephone access, or internet. Those parts of the country still receive subsidies to offset losses that are collected on everyone's electric bill, or phone bill, etc.

And all those things are good.

Why? Because most of those utilities (and we call them that for a reason) are more useful to ALL of us, when all of us have access to them. My telephone (or cell phone) is more useful when I am able to call the people that I care about. My newspaper (or television news) is more useful when I can hear about important news from other places that effects me (like droughts or pandemics where my food comes from). Businesses find it more useful to accept credit cards when their customers can use them. And so on.

The Post Office does a great job given the constraints under which it is required to operate. Congress complains about it's profitablility and then shackles it with pre-funding pensions that it doesn't require of any other business AND at the same time, doesn't allow the Post Office to set it's own pricing as any other business would.

The problem ISN'T the Post Office. We NEED the Post Office more that we often think we do.

The problem, as it often is, is with our Congress.

I've seen issues also. I had three orders shipped USPS, including one of motors. The package of motors arrived several days early, ironically. One other package, shipped from Wisconsin showed up a couple days late. The last package was scanned in two facilities in California and has been apparently sitting in the second one for over a week now. Go figure that the motors that should've been the slow shipment were the fastest one. I also have had stuff from Amazon show up almost immediately after order. Recently, instead of USPS, most of my Amazon stuff has either come via Amazon or UPS. As far as profitability goes, I know it didn't help the USPS that they had to roll back a couple price increases a few years ago. Apparently, the increases weren't properly approved. However, I agree we need the USPS. I also feel like if something is time-critical, it's better to pay the extra for UPS or FedEx if possible.

Last edited:
Ok let me get this straight. We are upset that politics is in government and that a government run program is inefficient and poorly managed.

Ok let me get this straight. We are upset that politics is in government and that a government run program is inefficient and poorly managed.
Actually, I'm only upset because some folks are calling for eliminating the USPS. Regardless of politics, it provides an affordable service that even Fedex and UPS have to use in order to remain competitive.

We ship internationally using USPS Priority International Mail. Was pretty good for years with some notable exceptions, like the package that went to Israel instead of New Zealand. Now, forget it. We had a shipment to Canada that took 8 weeks vs the normal 8 days. Had to refund the customer over $300 after they waited 6 weeks and will probably never see the system again. One shipment to Europe took 3 weeks to go 50 miles to the international hub in Los Angeles. When I get international inquires they always ask when they will receive the product. Now I feel like saying, "How about NEVER? Is never good for you?"

I live in rural NW Wisconsin and I consider the Post Office a godsend. Most of the Amazon stuff I buy ends up being delivered by my mail carrier. Since the pandemic started I have been voting by absentee ballot (I'm 69). I consider the USPS an essential entity, something I don't mind that my taxes are used for. Need to save money? Pay Congress on an hourly basis and cut their pensions.

I live in rural NW Wisconsin and I consider the Post Office a godsend. Most of the Amazon stuff I buy ends up being delivered by my mail carrier. Since the pandemic started I have been voting by absentee ballot (I'm 69). I consider the USPS an essential entity, something I don't mind that my taxes are used for. Need to save money? Pay Congress on an hourly basis and cut their pensions.
I second that!!!

Actually, I'm only upset because some folks are calling for eliminating the USPS. Regardless of politics, it provides an affordable service that even Fedex and UPS have to use in order to remain competitive.
This is today's cancel culture in action. "If someone doesn't like something they don't care how many other people benefit or enjoy it, it must be cancelled!! It's not good enough to reform it into something better or acceptable, it must be cancelled."

"Defund the police" is the most ridiculous example of this I've seen so far.

"Defund the postal service" probably doesn't apply because technically they're not funded, but they do get funding and many are calling for them to be cancelled. And the call to cancel them isn't because they're offensive but because they're inefficient, very poorly managed (operations as well as retirement plan), etc. Cancelling the postal service isn't automatically the best solution but it definitely needs to be reformed in a big way.

Understand that many have had problems with the post office especially lately but I wanted to put in positive experience. I received a warranty replacement package from Estes yesterday that included motors. Package shipped via USPS on Friday 8/7 and in my mail box Monday 8/10 in Arizona. Kudos to Estes for the customer service and to USPS for prompt handling and delivery!

Wally Ferrer said:
This is today's cancel culture in action. "If someone doesn't like something they don't care how many other people benefit or enjoy it, it must be cancelled!! It's not good enough to reform it into something better or acceptable, it must be cancelled."

Neah, it's not that.
The "eliminate or privatize USPS" chants come from the folks who didn't appreciate the financial implications of mandating nation-wide services. With, maybe, a little of politics on a side.

As to the "boycott" and "cancel" initiatives, they are nothing new.
Just a new name for expression of consumer politics in free markets. With some stupidity thrown in, for good measure.
The word "boycott" itself has an interesting history stretching back to 1880:
https://www.careeraddict.com/top-10-famous-boycotts

"Defund the police" is the most ridiculous example of this I've seen so far.

Not really.
Just massively over-politicized by both alt-right and alt-left.

As to policing being ripe for a serious re-evaluation, proper in-depth training, and more thorough hiring vetting - there are plenty of legitimate improvements that can be made in all those areas.

Last edited:
Neah, it's not that. The "eliminate or privatize USPS" chants come from the folks who didn't appreciate the financial implications of mandating nation-wide services.
Dang, if only I'd pointed that out...

"but because they're inefficient, very poorly managed "

Not really.
Yeah, really.

As to policing being ripe for a serious re-evaluation, proper in-depth training, and more thorough hiring vetting - there are plenty of legitimate improvements that can be made in all those areas.
Exactly my point. Defunding the entire organization that protects and serves the public due to a few bad apples is ridiculous. In my company if someone crosses any of several lines regarding inappropriate behavior they get fired immediately. There are plenty of people available to take that employees place because we pay well and offer great benefits. It's a really good company.

A police officer kills somebody over what appears to be racial reasons and a look into their background shows multiple instances where they've been reported and written up or otherwise punished for inappropriate behavior - but they kept their job. Why? It's because there's not a line of people waiting to be hired as police officers. The pay vs risk is way too low for most people and it attracts too many of the wrong type of person. Increase their pay (not defund them) quite a bit and you'll have a larger pile of applicants to choose from and when an unacceptable person is discovered you can remove them from service much more easily knowing you can replace them. Get rid of the police unions that forces bad behaving officers to remain employed and you'll also make it easier to keep the good and get rid of the bad. And finally there should be a lot of "bad behaving" police who will act right now that they know they can be fired or held accountable much easier.

I believe that the number of "bad behaving" police is a very small percentage of the entire police force anyway, and they're all being blamed for the actions of the few.

I believe that the number of "bad behaving" police is a very small percentage of the entire police force anyway, and they're all being blamed for the actions of the few.
They're all being blamed because they allow the few to continue bad behavior. What happened to 'see something, say something'..? As far as what the real percentage of bad apples might be, we may never know- there are laws that forbid collecting these numbers- why is that? Regardless there are many levels of 'defund'. Defund can mean route some of the dollars spent on militarizing the police force to funding more mental health services, and other non-punishment forms of dealing with some of the societal problems we face. I don't want to defund the police out of existence, but I also don't want to fund tanks for the police either. I want to fund more services that might help people, you know, the serve part of serve and protect. We are constantly told that there is no money for those services- why not?

OK, I really just came back to this thread to report my 'missing' UPS shipment from the Rocket Store just updated from pending receipt to scheduled for delivery tomorrow... so fingers crossed!

Back to the original topic... international packages are even worse. I have one that was sent to the EU nearly a month ago, it's still showing at the Los Angeles customs depot. I had another one sent a few months ago that took two months to get to the UK. I've been seriously thinking about suspending overseas shipments until this whole thing is over... unless they want to pay for FedEx or DHL.

Back to the original topic... international packages are even worse. I have one that was sent to the EU nearly a month ago, it's still showing at the Los Angeles customs depot. I had another one sent a few months ago that took two months to get to the UK. I've been seriously thinking about suspending overseas shipments until this whole thing is over... unless they want to pay for FedEx or DHL.

I’ve had a ~100gm package in transit for many weeks, current ETA is Sept 10. Another package has been scanned at a distribution centre two weeks ago and nothing since. USPS is the only cost effective shipping option for individuals with parcels outside the US. FedEx is eye watering, and for some reason DHL is more expensive for a shoebox out the US than a pallet out of Europe.

Without the USPS the ability for small to medium sized vendors to sell to international customers will be crippled.

I’ve had a ~100gm package in transit for many weeks, current ETA is Sept 10. Another package has been scanned at a distribution centre two weeks ago and nothing since. USPS is the only cost effective shipping option for individuals with parcels outside the US. FedEx is eye watering, and for some reason DHL is more expensive for a shoebox out the US than a pallet out of Europe.

Without the USPS the ability for small to medium sized vendors to sell to international customers will be crippled.
Agreed, which is why I reluctantly still use them. I tell my international customers not to expect anything for about a month, though... including tracking updates.

I got my 38mm motor retainer, centering rings, 36” parachute, and fire blanket from USPS courtesy of Loc precision. Also I got two 4” airframes from FedEx courtesy of madcow rocketry
Hats off to all package handler delivery drivers.

Looking at our reports again, First Class and Priority Mail seem to be taking about a day longer than usual to arrive. I haven't kept historical data, so this is by memory (though it's more obvious for Priority Mail that normally takes 1 to 3 days and is now averaging closer to three days). Parcel Select is generally taking around 5 to 10 days which seems to be about the same as usual.

We are having some issues with packages sometimes not getting scanned when we drop them off or when they are picked up.

I had something similar happen today. I ordered a LMS G79-10W and a screw switch and it was shipped July 14th. I didn't get it until around the 7th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back