Using Nomex to prevent scorching?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

jf_reinhard

Reaction score
I just built a Semroc Hawk and noticed that, because of the way it's designed, the fuselage and stabilizer gets a lot of residue, maybe a little scorching from the engine. On my last flight (#4), the fuselage broke in two at the ejection stage and I can't help but wonder if the fuselage had become weakened by the engine.

Would a small strip (or strips) of Nomex glued to the underside of the fuselage and stabilizer minimize this problem? Obviously, it'll add more weight.

One of the nice things I liked about my Estes Eagle Boost was the heat reflective tape that came with the kit. I haven't seen that in any other kits.

Can I buy heat-reflective tape anywhere instead?

Thanks,
Jim

TheAviator

Reaction score
I've had good luck gluing strips of aluminum foil to places like that. Can't remember off hand what glue I used...

Also, per George Gassaway's instructions on the Stiletto series of RG's, you can use MEDIUM CA (NOT THIN) and rub it into the balsa using a latex or nitrile glove. Sand it to a smooth finish and it looks good and will protect from the exhaust. If it gets dirty, wipe it down with a slightly damp rag.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've had good luck gluing strips of aluminum foil to places like that. Can't remember off hand what glue I used...

Also, per George Gassaway's instructions on the Stiletto series of RG's, you can use MEDIUM CA (NOT THIN) and rub it into the balsa using a latex or nitrile glove. Sand it to a smooth finish and it looks good and will protect from the exhaust. If it gets dirty, wipe it down with a slightly damp rag.
I'll Second Aviators comments.
Mirror chrome adhesive backed Monokote or other mylars seem to add a protective barrier that holds up for longer then the model generally lasts;)

Wiping on Medium CA with a folded paper towel also helps make the sanding required a little less time consuming.
I use this method on Sport models I plan on keeping a long time, opting for the monokote for Competition models that in many cases won't be around from more the a few flights.