Using multiple Bluetooth adapters with Missile Works mDACS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderboy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious what luck people are having using multiple Bluetooth adapters with the Missile Works mDACS Windows application.

My goal is to have a dedicated bluetooth adapter on each device so that they can stay a permanent part of each av-bay, rather than having to switch a single bluetooth adapter between each device. Plus, the adapters are very inexpensive.

I'm finding that the mDACS software doesn't correctly associate the Windows comm port assignments once more than two devices are paired with your PC.

For example, I have three devices paired with my PC through the Bluetooth (I've given each device a name in the control panel device manager to help keep them straight):
1. Miss Riley RRC3 - COM 4
2. Doorknob RRC3 - COM 12
3. RTx GPS Base Unit - COM 14

When I start the mDACS software, and go to the "System Preferences" tab in order to select which of these devices I want to communicate with I see the following choices in the list (in this order):
COM13
COM15
COM55
COM12
COM42
COM14

(NOTE: I believe that the extra COM port number listed that is one higher than the designated port is for communicating with the Bluetooth device in the other direction, in other words: one port to receive, the other to send)

The list does not accurately list the COM ports for the RRC3 on COM 4. It shows COM42 and COM55. I thought perhaps that these labels are just subject to some labeling bug in the code, but neither selection will allow communication with the Bluetooth device on Comm 4/5 (per the computers Bluetooth control panel settings). Note that the other two Bluetooth adapters communicate properly when choosing their respective comm ports in mDACS.

Does anyone have any suggestions on resolving this?

Also as a feature enhancement for the mDACS software, it would be WONDERFUL if the pulldown menu for the "Active Comm Port" setting on the "System Preferences" tab in mDACS would allow selection of the device based on the "Device Name" associated with the adapter in Windows as opposed to the abstract Comm port designation.

Thanks all!

Back