Using Future for matte or satin finish

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have read that it is possible to de-gloss Future by adding Tamiya flat base to it, in some ratio or another. I am waiting to hear of any first-hand experience of having tried this, for tips, tricks, and comments.

Right now I use Future for gloss finishes, spray clear for matte. I'd love to be able to use Future for something other than gloss... I suspect satin would be my preferred finish in many cases.

Has anyone tried it?

I can confirm that this does work. Gunze and Testors acrylic flat bases work as well. I was going for dead flat not satin so I didn't use a mix ratio, just some of each mixed and run through an airbrush for 1/72 WW2 aircraft.

More importantly, where are you getting Future? Did someone start making it again? There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth when Pledge stopped making it a few years ago. I have been guarding my last 3/4 bottle of it like it was the last food in a fall out shelter.

Andrew

It's still available, they just change the name every few hours to keep us on our toes:
1614653340412.png
Glad to hear that works. I have to try it sometime, once I figure out the ratio. I suppose I should mix up a batch of satin and a batch of matte and keep them at the ready.

Not trying to be a pain in your butt here, just want some clarity. Is this stuff like the old Future or the new Future. The old Future with the atomic design on the bottle and the product that first replaced it called "Pledge with Future shine" were awesome. Easy to work with, durable, clear and very glossy. The stuff after that was not the same. More prone to bubbles and drips, not as tuff and prone to fogging. After that I read in several places and was told by a handful of people that it had been discontinued completely.

Super glad to hear it's still available regardless, but hoping it's more like the old Future I know and love.

Andrew

Unfortunately I am not sufficiently expert in Futurology to know the answers to your questions. If I had to guess I would say it's just rebadged new Future, because why would they all of a sudden revert to an old formula? But again, just a guess.

That's cool. Was just wondering. Any Future is better than no Future. It's still very useful stuff.

Andrew

Back