Using Fusion 360 to document actual RockSim10 parts for Level-3 design documentation package

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1625830159990.png

I just draw all my stuff up in Inventor (I do have Fusion 360 on my personal laptop and use it occasionally - was used for Marvin the Martian), and then do quick and dirty sims in OpenRocket to verify CP calculations. I like the 3D modeling as it gives me a better view of what is happening within the rocket.

@jderimig I'm curious about what you mean about having to use spline curve tables? It took me a little less than 2 minutes or so to model the nose cone in the above photo using a 3 point arc, combined with offset + revolve feature. I could see the need for a little extra work for parabolic, Von Karman, etc... But I digress.

View attachment 472077

I just draw all my stuff up in Inventor (I do have Fusion 360 on my personal laptop and use it occasionally - was used for Marvin the Martian), and then do quick and dirty sims in OpenRocket to verify CP calculations. I like the 3D modeling as it gives me a better view of what is happening within the rocket.

@jderimig I'm curious about what you mean about having to use spline curve tables? It took me a little less than 2 minutes or so to model the nose cone in the above photo using a 3 point arc, combined with offset + revolve feature. I could see the need for a little extra work for parabolic, Von Karman, etc... But I digress.
If you need to accurately model an olgive or an VK then you need to use the spline fit. But you may not need an accurate model and an elliptical model, arc, maybe useful. In my case I am packaging things inside the NC so accuracy is important

If you need to accurately model an olgive or an VK then you need to use the spline fit. But you may not need an accurate model and an elliptical model, arc, maybe useful. In my case I am packaging things inside the NC so accuracy is important

Ah, understood. I had some challenges with Marvin as well. Thinking back, I could've made it better, but it was more of a KISS let's see if we can even accomplish this. We failed. LOL

An tangent ogive has the profile of a circle segment that’s tangent to the edge of the rocket’s airframe. A spline fit isn’t necessary to define its profile.

Ah, understood. I had some challenges with Marvin as well. Thinking back, I could've made it better, but it was more of a KISS let's see if we can even accomplish this. We failed. LOL
My Balls project has all the electronics and recovery apparatus fitted into the nose cone. Autodesk did a decent job of integrating Eagle with 360/inventor. You can export PCB's (provided the components are modeled) to a native 360 part file or step file. Here is snapshot of a earlier version of my nc. Design is still tweaking.

1625856883519.png

My Balls project has all the electronics and recovery apparatus fitted into the nose cone. Autodesk did a decent job of integrating Eagle with 360/inventor. You can export PCB's (provided the components are modeled) to a native 360 part file or step file. Here is snapshot of a earlier version of my nc. Design is still tweaking.

View attachment 472143
My L3 Rocket will have the fourth 54mm nosecone payload bay compartment that I’ve built using centering rings and a 16” section of BlueTube airframe and a 54mm Aero Pack retainer.

I have an interchangeable electronics payload packet with a GPS that has a “thrust ring” and can be easily swapped from one rocket to the next. A 2000# Kevlar cord is used for attaching the recovery shock cord.

Last edited:
Back