Using Decal Setting Solutions (like Micro Sol and Micro Set)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mh9162013

Reaction score
When applying a water-slide decal to a simple model rocket, do any of you use a decal setting solution? In other words, is either Micro Set or Micro Sol necessary when placing a decal on a flat surface such as a fin or a simple curved surface like the main body tube?

I've used both decal setting solutions before, but it was with plastic models where the decal was being placed over an irregular surface and you wanted to obtain that "painted on look." It seems like neither solution is necessary for basic model rockets where the decals aren't going over irregular surfaces.

I use Set and Sol when applying decals anywhere -- be it on plastic models, rockets, etc... I usually start with Set and if it's a really thick decal or going on a really difficult/irregular surface I'll use Sol. Probably not critical for fins and basic body tubes, but if you got it may as well use it.

When applying a water-slide decal to a simple model rocket, do any of you use a decal setting solution? In other words, is either Micro Set or Micro Sol necessary when placing a decal on a flat surface such as a fin or a simple curved surface like the main body tube?

I've used both decal setting solutions before, but it was with plastic models where the decal was being placed over an irregular surface and you wanted to obtain that "painted on look." It seems like neither solution is necessary for basic model rockets where the decals aren't going over irregular surfaces.

I don't use it unless surface has compound curves. I have on occasion used Micro Sol if a decal doesn't seem to lay down smoothly.

Worth noting... I always apply clear over the rocket once the decals are installed. That does a good job of sealing the decals to the rockets.

I use Set and Sol when applying decals anywhere -- be it on plastic models, rockets, etc... I usually start with Set and if it's a really thick decal or going on a really difficult/irregular surface I'll use Sol. Probably not critical for fins and basic body tubes, but if you got it may as well use it.
Me too. I see no downside to it.

I don't know about y'all but my finishes are rarely perfectly smooth, and I like the idea that the Micro Sol will really make the decal conform. And maybe it helps the edges blend and disappear a bit better.

One thing about Micro Sol: they're not kidding when they say that after you apply it, don't touch the decals until they are totally dry.

Perhaps that's a very slight exaggeration: you have a very short interval to fiddle if absolutely necessary before the decal starts to dissolve. Once that happens leave it alone. It will look bad while it is drying, just be patient and let it finish or you will ruin the decal.

One thing about Micro Sol: they're not kidding when they say that after you apply it, don't touch the decals until they are totally dry.

Perhaps that's a very slight exaggeration: you have a very short interval to fiddle if absolutely necessary before the decal starts to dissolve. Once that happens leave it alone. It will look bad while it is drying, just be patient and let it finish or you will ruin the decal.
I've used Micro Set and Sol many times before with plastic models and yes, if you're not prepared for prune-looking decals with the Micro Sol, it can be quite unsettling. But it's amazing how good those decals look after the Micro Sol evaporates.

MH, I just recently used Micro Sol on the decals for my most recent Wizard (retro). By adding an engine hook, there was a slight build up of epoxy around the upper portion of the hook. The decal that wraps around that area needed some “help” laying down properly. It took 3 applications and it came out better than I expected it to. Far from perfect, but far from ugly……

Attachments

• E24DC405-593B-43B5-978C-0A21557DE3DC.jpeg
    E24DC405-593B-43B5-978C-0A21557DE3DC.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I've used Micro Set and Sol many times before with plastic models and yes, if you're not prepared for prune-looking decals with the Micro Sol, it can be quite unsettling. But it's amazing how good those decals look after the Micro Sol evaporates.
As a teen maybe 40 years ago on a friend's suggestion, I used one of them for decalling a complex plastic model and they pruned up like crazy and stayed that way. It was a horrible experience and after that I didn't want to risk it again.
I can understand using it for decals over complex curves, but as you've noted above, I don't feel it's necessary for rockets. Ymmv.
441468-22643b51315b410b840b652c8b8c5e6c.data

(All but sneakers are waterslide decals I custom made, printed, and applied with soapy water alone.)

As a teen maybe 40 years ago on a friend's suggestion, I used one of them for decalling a complex plastic model and they pruned up like crazy and stayed that way. It was a horrible experience and after that I didn't want to risk it again.
I can understand using it for decals over complex curves, but as you've noted above, I don't feel it's necessary for rockets. Ymmv.
441468-22643b51315b410b840b652c8b8c5e6c.data

(All but sneakers are waterslide decals I custom made, printed, and applied with soapy water alone.)
That's awesome. And as we all learned: It ain't easy... bein' cheesy.

While we're talking about these, what's the best method to apply the Micro Set? Wait until decal is dry, or right after decal placement? Can you do more than one application of Micro Set? How much to put on? I've seen some say that the brush should only be damp, and not loaded with the solution. I've used it a few times on rocket decals, but like others have said, the smooth, flat-ish surfaces of a model rocket means that I can't really judge how well the Micro Set worked. I need to try it on a plastic model to see how well it conforms to rivet and panel line details.

While we're talking about these, what's the best method to apply the Micro Set? Wait until decal is dry, or right after decal placement? Can you do more than one application of Micro Set? How much to put on? I've seen some say that the brush should only be damp, and not loaded with the solution. I've used it a few times on rocket decals, but like others have said, the smooth, flat-ish surfaces of a model rocket means that I can't really judge how well the Micro Set worked. I need to try it on a plastic model to see how well it conforms to rivet and panel line details.
You apply Micro Set first. Micro Sol goes on after the decal is on the model/rocket.

You apply Micro Set first. Micro Sol goes on after the decal is on the model/rocket.
More detail:
1) Brush Micro-set onto the surface where the decal will be applied. Apply decal.
2) You can then apply Micro-sol on top while it's still wet, or wait until it dries. I've done it both ways. If you want to do it while still wet, at least wait until the decal is starting to adhere, or else you could inadvertently move the decal while brushing it on. I don't give a lot of thought to how much I'm putting on. I've not found an occasion when I put on too much and it failed to dry properly.
3) I also try not to let Micro-sol dry on a vertical surface, or the decal can sag under gravity while it's softened. After I apply the stuff I keep the rocket oriented so that the wet decals are at least close to horizontal. This usually means not doing all the decals at once.

Final notes: I have no idea if Micro-set is really doing anything for me. But since I have it, and want to wet the surface before applying the decal anyway, I use it. It smells like vinegar and I wonder if it really is much more than that. The effects of Micro-sol, on the other hand, are readily visible.

Like @neil_w said... :computer:

I used MicroSol on my Mercury Capsule Abort build. It has a plastic capsule and all those corrugations are like divots on a gold ball, only elongated. I applied Microsol to the wet decal, waited about 10 minutes, applied it again and kept doing that until the decals conformed to the corrugations.

That has to be one of the toughest application for decals... but it came out looking great.

002.JPG

Back