using a dremel

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flipper

Reaction score
Was curious if anyone uses a dremel rotary tool for any kind of finishing (especially to fins). Have some sloppy looking fillets (only on rocket build #2), and i was thinking of using my dremel and a rounded sanding bit to smooth them up. Would use very low speed, but worrying about the vibration loosening the glue bond.

Was also considering using it to round the fin edges as well.

If anyone is using one for this, or anything else, i would love to hear about it.

Ken

P.S. Building baby bertha and only using yellow wood glue as opposed to epoxy.

Thanks!!

I have used my cordless dremel many times on rockets, but I never tried to fix fillets with it. I mainly use it for cutting / sanding centering rings and working on fins.

I would be careful not to cause more damage than already exists.

Do this first insted.

Take the 1/2" sanding drum and stick it on a short section of 1/2" dowel...it should fit pretty good. Hand sand them first...less possibility of it getting away from you and traveling up the fin.:eek:

THAT would be bad!

The Dremel is one of those - 'Once you've used one you don't know how you managed without it' - tools :)

I've done what you're suggesting on many occasions when I've rushed a filletting job (epoxy and cyano) . I've never experienced it weakening the joint. Made a heck of a mess - yes but weakened - no :p

Like Sandman pointed out, the Dremel if a bit fierce and both the sanding drums and the self adhesive discs will easily spoil the area around the job if you slip.

I've used a Dremel to "clean up" some ugly fillets, but not in the manner you described. Instead, I used the ball grinder for the precision that I wanted, since I didn't want to accidentally hurt the rest of the rocket, either tube or fin. It took a while, but I was eventually able to remove the excess glue (done this with both epoxy and wood glue joints), after which I applied a fresh coat of glue for smoothing.

It didn't weaken the joint at all.

WW

Dremel does have a tool that will help with fillet repair. It is a flapwheel. The 502 & 503 bits do a nice job of this. They also do a good job cleaning up when I get adhesive inside a tube.

I use them in conjunction with a 225 flex shaft and a foot pedal speed control.

However, I do use the sanpaper glued to a dowel whenever possible.

A

I've just got a new 'lithium ion' cordless Dremel to be handed over to the in-laws to wrap up as my Christmas pressy.
No longer imprisoned by the length of the power lead - I will be able to boldly Dremel where no Dremel of mine has been before.
:D

BTW Anyone using this new Dremel (it might not be new where you come from) ?

Originally posted by North Star
I've just got a new 'lithium ion' cordless Dremel

BTW Anyone using this new Dremel (it might not be new where you come from) ?

I don't have the 'lithium ion' corless Dremel, but I do have the Model 780 Cordless Dremel and I love it.... If your model is just as good or better, you'll be totally impressed with it!!!!!

The only "corded" version that looks anywhere near as good is the Dremel 400 XPR. But if Santa puts the 400 XPR under the tree, I will NOT get rid of my cordless model.......

I love my Dremel cordless!

I have only one complaint.

Such a pain finding the right size coulet when changing bits...maybe if I was more organised.

The biggest hassle is drill bits...never know which coulet will work.

For apps like fillets, I can never keep it from grabbing and going its own way. I have used it to knock down lumps, where its easier to fil a gouge than sand a bump.

As for attachments, I got a ginormous set of attachemnts at Costco. Most importantly it included a set of collets and some teeeny weeeny drill bits.

Back