Useful phone apps

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandy H.

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I know there are some rocketry specific apps that people use, but are there any other 'general' apps that people find useful for rocketry? Specifically, my weather app just died and I'm not going to upgrade iOS for a weather app, so now I need to find one. I imagine certain weather apps might be more useful for rocketry than others (i.e. more detailed information, faster update, etc.). My brother is a GA pilot and I know some of their apps have a lot of weather info, but I think they cost 'real' money.

Anyway, maybe post a few apps that you found that you ended up using with rocketry. I'd say, just about any type of app (the bubble level one is one I use from time to time for documenting launch rod angle for my notes). Also, post if there are ads or other stuff that people might want to avoid.

And if there is a really good weather app without ads for iPhone that you know of, please post that!!!

Just a thought.

Sandy.

Those are Android specific, but it shouldn't be too hard to find something equivalent for iPhones.

Magnifier + Flashlight
Not a full blown microscope, but it still works better than I expected. I use it mostly for inspection work (e.g. solder joints).

GPS Status
Simple navigation tasks. E.g. distance and bearing. Also works well for adjusting the azimuth of launch pads (set way point at pad, walk 100+ feet away from pad and visually check bearing)

Locus Maps
Useful for more complex navigation and recovery tasks. Examples are:
  • Keeping an overview over multiple coordinates (RSO, launch pad, landing points of multiple rockets or stages, found debris etc.).
    • Points can be shared with other apps and users in multiple formats.
  • Planing search routes while accounting for the landscape. This worked nicely for me last year to find a way over a little creek before I even knew that it was in the way. Selecting "mountain bike" as vehicle will often lead to routes that are suitable for off-road vehicles.
  • Tracking and plotting search patterns to keep an overview where you've already been. Can also be exchanged with other team members.
  • Emulating Garmin Sight 'N Go.
  • Showing external GPS location in real time via BlueTooth (e.g. with Eggfinder), but functionality seems to be limited to just that (no recording of tracks).

Not exactly rocketry specific, but I keep standardized packaging lists in Microsoft's To Do app. I have one for generic travel and an additional one for rocketry stuff.

Reinhard

I use several (iOS):

Crowsflight: super simple nav app - drop a pin and as you walk away it tells you the distance and bearing to your pin - very useful for measuring flight line layout, distance to where your rocket landed, etc., you can swipe on a pin to map it or email it to someone. In the free version you can store up to 10 pins

Clinometer: + bubble level: one of many similar apps, great for checking launch rails, etc.

Globe Convert: converts between dozens of different units, grouped by type. You can set favorites to quickly select MPH > FPS, Grams to Ounces, etc.

Theodolite: an useful and fun app. While it does function as a theodolite, it also allows you to take a picture that records all the data overlaid on it. Very useful for recovery - you can take a photo of where your rocket landed and it will not only have the visual landmarks with a guide, but also the heading/bearing, helpful for 'compass' recovery

Gaia GPS: very powerful mapping software, expensive but has many kinds of downloadable maps for offline use.

Windy: an app version of the Windy website, allows you to check winds at specific altitudes (mentioned above)

iEngineer: a strength of materials app that has shear force for nylon screws for shear pins

Thrustcurve: an app version of the Thrustcurve website, faster than the website for a quick search, allows you to save favorite motors and rocket designs (or access ones you saved on the website), you can then run motor searches against the design

Pro Compass: an upgraded compass with much higher detail and built in levels, also vertical and horizontal measurements, can overlay current heading on a map, seems faster than other apps at that

Several of the above have Apple Watch apps as well. I also use the Checklist function of the Notes app, and the notes app in general for info I want quick access to. Regarding ads, if you don't want to pay for something I'm not sure you have a choice unless you find one done as a hobby. The Globe Convert app is pretty annoying sometimes with its ads, but it's so useful I don't care. We used to teach iOS programming and I can't imagine writing any kind of app that required support for free. The amount of time involved is far greater than most people understand, and it costs money to put an app on the app store. So I don't mind ads in free apps, as long as they don't interfere with the usefulness of the app. And regarding weather apps, the developers have to pay to access that weather data, so I don't understand how they could make an ad-free, free app unless they have money to just give away.

Tony

Last edited:
And if there is a really good weather app without ads for iPhone that you know of, please post that!!!

Background: I am a pilot, and I use Foreflight. A couple of years ago I also began using DarkSky, a highly regarded weather app. I soon noticed that the data was damn near identical, just presented differently. At that point I began to dig under the hood, and soon learned that DarkSky was pulling from the FAA/NOAA/whoever weather databases. So, a big thumbs-up there.*

About a year ago a friend mentioned Carrot, a similar weather app, but with a comedy slant. Intriguingly, it has both personality and profanity settings. (I have mine set to "anarchist," and with profanity "on.") The free version is quite useful. In the paid version of that app you can actually set which database from which you wish the app to derive a report. One of those sources is DarkSky.

James

* Apparently Apple was impressed enough by DarkSky to buy the company, and much of the functionality of the app is being pulled into the core iOS Weather app. You'll probably need to upgrade iOS, though.

Thrustcurve: an app version of the Thrustcurve website, faster than the website for a quick search...
Don't forget that the website also has a simple search in the right side of the header bar. Just enter a motor name directly without going through the big form.

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 6.04.11 PM.png
Also, the web site itself is responsive, so its full functionality should work on phones, tablets, etc.

Disclaimer: I use an Android

I like Windy, but Windfinder is very similar. My go-to weather app is Clear Outside. I primarily use it for photography, but provides to the hours updates on cloud cover, wind, temps, etc. It can be a little clunky to use it for a location you aren't at, but once you get your favorites set, it's pretty easy.

I use Rocket Locator with Eggfinders and it works pretty well.

Finally, since I live in western WA and our launch sites are in eastern WA, I keep an eye on the WSDOT app for road closures and pass status.

Back