• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Used Taig metalcutting lathe, bringing to NARAM

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prfesser

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
One more item that I'll bring only if someone is seriously interested. I'll post pictures later.

Taig metalcutting lathe is a high-precision machine tool, among other things it's suitable for making nozzles and forward closures up to 38 or maybe 54 mm. Six speeds 500-7000 rpm. 4" swing x 10" between centers. Ball-bearing spindle 3/4x16 tpi. Cast-iron bedways, top slide (no compound slide), lever tailstock, pulleys and belt, 4 jaw independent chuck, 1/4" tailstock chuck, several 1/4" high-speed steel bits. NOT equipped for thread cutting, though kits are available to remedy that.

Comes with a 1/4 hp motor that's rather old, you might visit a flea market or junkyard for a better one.

Accessories are available online. Brand new units runs around $500; asking $350 but will entertain offers.

Best,
Terry

One more item that I'll bring only if someone is seriously interested. I'll post pictures later.

Taig metalcutting lathe is a high-precision machine tool, among other things it's suitable for making nozzles and forward closures up to 38 or maybe 54 mm. Six speeds 500-7000 rpm. 4" swing x 10" between centers. Ball-bearing spindle 3/4x16 tpi. Cast-iron bedways, top slide (no compound slide), lever tailstock, pulleys and belt, 4 jaw independent chuck, 1/4" tailstock chuck, several 1/4" high-speed steel bits. NOT equipped for thread cutting, though kits are available to remedy that.

Comes with a 1/4 hp motor that's rather old, you might visit a flea market or junkyard for a better one.

Accessories are available online. Brand new units runs around $500; asking $350 but will entertain offers.

Best,
Terry

Wow, I wish I was going to NARAM. I would buy it in a heartbeat. Having said that, I own 4 other lathes, so maybe I have a problem.

For people who aren't familiar with lathes, old iron is great for a home hobbiest/small business, Harbor Freight/Grizzley stuff is OK for a mild hobbiest, but they bring their own faults and tweaks required which might not be fun for a new person. The Taig is an interesting one, as it is a well made light duty lathe. I have never run one, but a friend did and it made nice small parts. I have heard it was a very precise lathe, but obviously limited due to size, but that can be a great thing for a garage shop.

If you have never run a lathe, it might be a great place to start, but I imagine some online research for the best cutting tool options would be helpful.

As I said, I would buy it if I were going to be there, not because I need another lathe, but I honestly don't have one that is in this size category and sometimes it would be nice to grab a small high-speed capable lathe to turn a widget vs. going to my older iron that simply doesn't go very fast. Plastics and aluminum like high speeds and my trusty ol' Southbend just doesn't do what more modern lathes can.

Hope you find the right buyer (or I decide to show up at NARAM. . . ). It might be good to post those pics and any accessories included, though. . .

Sandy.

Wow, I wish I was going to NARAM. I would buy it in a heartbeat. Having said that, I own 4 other lathes, so maybe I have a problem.
I think you're just fine. :) I would LOVE to have that problem. I'm making due with just one.

The sad reality is that my 10" Southbend is the only one I could walk right up to and make a part. I've got one Jet wood lathe that is on a flip-top table, so I could turn wood or plastic by hand (completely valid for high tolerance rocket parts for sure!!!) that would take about a half hour to de-clutter the flip-top that is currently up so I could flip the lathe into position. The other two would take days/weeks to get into service. . .

And, it would take a day or two to get enough bench space to put the Taig on, so it sounds like I need to be cleaning up what I've got vs. buying more stuff to pile in the way. . .

Hope the right person gets the lathe. I didn't realize NARAM was going on right now. . . DOH!!!

Sandy.

Back