Use of avionics in recovery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMan31

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a college student in Nebraska getting into HPR, but I had a few questions about the avionics bay.
1. I'm assuming the use of a drogue is necessary if you don't want to deploy a main at apogee. Is this correct?
2. The avionics I will be using would be raven blues, which I have some knowledge in, but for the redundant systems required for a cert 3, I'm assuming that you would need separate altimeters, key switches, and everything including the charges, is this also correct?

Also, if any of you would be willing to describe, or send a picture of your av bay set up for a pre cert 3/ cert 3 rocket that would be helpful.

Thanks,
Braxton

Whether a drogue is necessary depends on the weight of the rocket. In smaller rockets, I’ve gone drogueless. Just separating the rocket into two parts connected by some Kevlar is enough to bring it down safely to where the main comes out. Most of the time I want a drogue so I can see it better and to keep the parts separated a bit better. On heavier rockets, a drogue will be necessary to keep the speed down.

Redundancy for a level 3 means all of the electronics are redundant, including the switch, the battery, and the altimeter. I like having redundant charges as well so that if everything doesn’t come out with the first charge, a somewhat larger charge follows. On my biggest rockets I use two ematches in each charge well.

Back