US Rockets Motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce

Reaction score
Does anyone know why Jerry Irvine is not currently selling his US Rockets motors?

Someone mentioned something about a grudge that Tripoli had in the past over DOT EX numbers. Couldn't they just forgive him for old mistakes and move forward?

It would be great to have another motor manufacturer. A larger choice of motors would benefit everyone.

And weren't his Firestarter motors the first sparky motors? Quite a legacy!

USRockets motors are not currently certified by NAR, TRA or CAR. If he can comply with all the requirements by those orgs for getting a motor certified, then he'd be able to sell them. Due to some issues with US DoT in the past, it is very highly unlikely that he'll get the reqired DoT EX number.

If you read the old usenet posts you'll see a bunch of bad blood coming and going a lot of different directions.

Most of the people involved aren't around anymore and it was 20 years ago, but you can go search on YORF if you want to review past discussions.

Jerry Irvine’s legal troubles were completely his own doing. None of that could possibly be blamed on a “grudge that Tripoli had.”

This. My interactions with him online have not been particularly nice. I know I can be a royal PITA to deal with sometimes but that guy takes it to a whole 'nother level and that's saying something coming from me. There's a reason he's been banned from just about every online rocket community other than YORF over the years.

This. My interactions with him online have not been particularly nice. I know I can be a royal PITA to deal with sometimes but that guy takes it to a whole 'nother level and that's saying something coming from me. There's a reason he's been banned from just about every online rocket community other than YORF over the years.
He's banned from YORF too as of several months ago

He's banned from YORF too as of several months ago

Didn't know that. Well that just reinforces what I was saying. Wonder how long before he gets put in Facebook jail - if he hasn't already done a stint or two there already...

First a second CARBER ENERGETICS thread, now this.......man, the pot stirreth over! /sarc

Didn't know that. Well that just reinforces what I was saying. Wonder how long before he gets put in Facebook jail - if he hasn't already done a stint or two there already...
When Steve Shannon and I were mods at Rocketry Planet, I can't tell you the number of times he was put into time-out or had to be heavily moderated.

Jerry has some great knowledge, he has some twisted memories of the early history of model rockets and he is his own worst enemy. He never did me wrong personally and I'd sit back around a campfire listening to the yarns he'd spin but I wouldn't trust him with an A8-3 in an Alpha rocket.

Last edited:
When Steve Shannon and I were mods at Rocketry Planet, I can't tell you the number of times he was put into time-out or had to be heavily moderated.

Jerry has some great knowledge, he has some twisted memories of the early history of model rockets and he is his own worst enemy. He never did me wrong personally and I'd sit back around a campfire listening to the yarns he'd spin but I wouldn't trust him with an A8-3 in an Alpha rocket.

There you go. I miss Rockertry Planet.

I always liked Jerry. You just always had to keep you hand on your wallet when you talked to him in person. When I first met Jerry, he asked for money. A LOT of money. Why? He said he was going to put a small satellite in orbit and needed some financial help. I was fairly new in the High Power game and I almost gave in. But my better judgement prevailed.

Jerry is a smart guy. He just dumb's himself to death at times. I don't know how many chances Jerry has had, but we all deserve a second chance...

A buyer of his motors would have had to report a shipment, no? So a competitor purchased motors, then reported him? (Sounds......familiar)

I read thru all of that.
I wouldn't want to do business with someone like this.
If they don't care about that rule, what other rules are they disregarding?
Did you mean "What other rules did they disregard 30 years ago?" and "Have they demonstrated changes since then?" I feel I know my own answer to these questions in regards to this particular matter ( esp. the second part ), but in general WRT online communities it's pretty easy to pillory someone for a series of 30-year-old bad decisions.

Last edited:
Hey Payload. I agree with what you said. "A competitor purchased his motors, then reported him." Yep. And I know who too.

Hey Payload. I agree with what you said. "A competitor purchased his motors, then reported him." Yep. And I know who too.

Sorry, but that sucks. I happen to be really close with the guy who ran The-Rocket-Store.com, same thing happened there

Did you mean "What other rules did they disregard 30 years ago?" and "Have they demonstrated changes since then?" I feel I know my own answer to these questions in regards to this particular matter ( esp. the second part ), but in general WRT online communities it's pretty easy to pillory someone for a series of 30-year-old bad decisions.

The legal document says 2002... so unless you're doing "new math", I get 19 years.

We make decisions every day about the companies we do or don't patronize.
To this day I avoid a certain fuel company that ran a tanker aground in Valdez, Alaska.
I also don't patronize other big box stores and brands because of their policies, union actions or willingness to use child labor in other countries.

I'll stick by my original statement.

The legal document says 2002... so unless you're doing "new math", I get 19 years.

We make decisions every day about the companies we do or don't patronize.
To this day I avoid a certain fuel company that ran a tanker aground in Valdez, Alaska.
I also don't patronize other big box stores and brands because of their policies, union actions or willingness to use child labor in other countries.

I'll stick by my original statement.
I was thinking more about the Usenet flamewars, but sure. And I was talking about individuals who happen to also be companies, but again sure.

I'm no defender of people who IMO endanger my currently favorite hobby. I am a reminder that people can choose to change, though it seems many don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back