URRG JULY 30,31 Launch. Potter NY

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry W

URRG Pres & Prefect
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Team. The July Launch should be great.

We have Performance Hobbies, Mac Performance and One Bad Hawk on the field for this great event. Sounds like vendor central.

The weather is dry and hot bring lots of water, fuel and rockets that need miles put on them.

Last edited:
I just can't wait for this one...
I've got a flight planned that's special to me..
My 4" glass scratch "SteamPunk" has been up on about 20 flights now..
But never this high, or this fast...
A Loki 76 / 6000 M 2550 LB puts out some umph and a half...
I'm hoping for 14K out of it...
It's going to be a seriously cool flight for sure....

Teddy

I just can't wait for this one...
I've got a flight planned that's special to me..
My 4" glass scratch "SteamPunk" has been up on about 20 flights now..
But never this high, or this fast...
A Loki 76 / 6000 M 2550 LB puts out some umph and a half...
I'm hoping for 14K out of it...
It's going to be a seriously cool flight for sure....

Teddy

man that's going to be awesome!

Let me see if Chris wants to take a road trip for the day, this will be the first weekend we have had off since late May.

I would love to see that flight.

Just curious, do you guys have an off season at Potter? Torrey farms lets you launch year round? Most clubs using farm sites have to suspend launches during growing season.

I was at URRF3. Awesome field.

Just curious, do you guys have an off season at Potter? Torrey farms lets you launch year round? Most clubs using farm sites have to suspend launches during growing season.

I was at URRF3. Awesome field.

our off season is the winter. They let us fly all summer but we need to be careful not to damage crops and a tracker is always recommended on high flights. For club launches we launch from where the white trailer is on the drive out to the URRF launch site. Glad you could come to URRF, it was HOT but a great time!

Buckeye:

The Farm has always been really accommodating. We tip toe through the tulips when in comes to the farmers crops LOL. We have a great land Liaison who is proactive to the farms needs and wants which keeps things good for all.

Last edited:
Let me see if Chris wants to take a road trip for the day, this will be the first weekend we have had off since late May.

I would love to see that flight.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!
Oh man,, would that be great....
You better stop feeding him nuclear Cheerios,,
he's growing like a weed,,, lol...
That'd be the icing on the cake if you guy's would come up.....

Teddy

Can't wait to get back to flying next week. Missed out on May and June doing the vendor thing. Potter always provides the best flying in the Northeast. See ya at the field. Anybody up for cocktails around the campfire Saturday night........Teddy.......Sandy:wink: Always a good time!

Mike

Drinks? Flying? You guys are KILLING me :)

Soon enough I'll be back at it. Was hoping for this month but not in the cards. Weather should be excellent

Can't wait to get back to flying next week. Missed out on May and June doing the vendor thing. Potter always provides the best flying in the Northeast. See ya at the field. Anybody up for cocktails around the campfire Saturday night........Teddy.......Sandy:wink: Always a good time!

Mike

That sure sounds nice Mike...
That's what I can't wait for,,
just sitting with nothing to do,, lol...
Ok,, maybe some laughing,, lol...

Teddy

Heard from Rick Wildman CT. He is planning on joining us as well for the July launch. Guys bring your money there wont be anything you cant buy at the July launch. Summer time stock up there is a great line up.

Hey,hey,,
that's great,,
It'll be nice to see Rick there,, lol..

Teddy

Right now, the forcast has deteriorated to have a 50% chance of occasional showers, and cloudy. But at least the winds are supposed to be single-digit. With any luck, it'll rain just enough to keep the dust down...

Right now, the forcast has deteriorated to have a 50% chance of occasional showers, and cloudy. But at least the winds are supposed to be single-digit. With any luck, it'll rain just enough to keep the dust down...

+ 1..
I was thinking the same thing, lol....

Teddy

when is the official go-no go? wx still declining, now showers both days.

when is the official go-no go? wx still declining, now showers both days.

We typically don't do a full "no go" unless the weather is looking really bad. most of the weekend now has a 50% chance of rain so there should be opportunities to fly. It's really up to you to decide if it's going to be worth the trip.

We typically don't do a full "no go" unless the weather is looking really bad. most of the weekend now has a 50% chance of rain so there should be opportunities to fly. It's really up to you to decide if it's going to be worth the trip.

We like to believe that you shouldn't worry about the weather, it will be there, so will we. Like Riley said, It's up to you what you want to do. At least by flying next to the "Oasis", ((the clump of trees by our storage trailer). Oh yes, that's the farmers term for that small chunk of trees more than ours.)
At least you won't be out in the middle of a freshly disked field that will turn into a deep mud pit the second it gets wet.

The weekend will be great, I have two, at least, level 3 Certs flying this weekend and one L2 test and L2Cert to do as well. Anyone Else???

Well, despite clouds and some rain around lunchtime on Saturday, it turned out to be a decent weekend. Saturday was actually pretty busy, there were a lot of people there. Sunday was a bit more relaxed. I managed to make 20 launches combined between the two days, including flying my upscaled Orbital Interceptor (which was meant to fly at URRF3 but didn't) twice. However, I forgot my camera on Saturday, so aside from a few cell phone shots, most of my pictures are from Sunday. Hopefully Riley can fill in the gap.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132724805@N04/albums/72157671035944542

28599539412_8e94e7e936_c.jpg
28421019980_8566659567_c.jpg

28421029070_a928a930b1_b.jpg
28599541132_15157e7eef_b.jpg
28705540005_444f67396d_c.jpg
28089744173_f73b92b0fa_c.jpg

28089733243_0e201ce4f3_c.jpg
28705581335_b7fcde8305_c.jpg
28599545552_d9bc1965d2_c.jpg

28089706773_5e5bb4daea_c.jpg

28627547001_4dc19a4277_c.jpg
28672921876_da9613e4ee_c.jpg
28627555161_8b87d416ff_c.jpg

28421017020_0c006f576c_c.jpg
28421016230_dea2f0a4f4_c.jpg
28088067764_80dfb4a1dc_c.jpg

28599549662_11fe4354b9_c.jpg
28089763743_0371888704_c.jpg

28599550712_4a2fc7a923_c.jpg
28421029830_9faf9f055e_c.jpg
28599546412_32f15c11e9_c.jpg

28627558571_f391095e45_c.jpg
28421034750_1af81516a5_c.jpg
28627556881_88fee807e7_c.jpg

Last edited:
What a great launch! URRG - "You so totally rock dude!" Thank you everyone for your help and support!

Hey Rick,
It was great seeing you. I'm glad you had your camera on Sunday. I got shots of my Coke bottle on the ground and under chute, but nothing on the burn. So, I'd love to get a (high res) copy of that photo!

Thanks again,
Matt

I got shots of my Coke bottle on the ground and under chute, but nothing on the burn. So, I'd love to get a (high res) copy of that photo!

I would too, actually, Matt. :) Unfortunately, due to limitations of my lens, that picture (and most of the pictures above) are shown near max-resolution already because I had to crop the crap out of the images to get that much. There are a few others at the gallery linked above, and others still that I haven't posted. I only uploaded about 1/4 of the photos taken, since I haven't had time to go through the others. But many are redundant shots.

Wow Rick,,
You got some great shots for sure..
I can't believe those were taken on your phone,, very cool..
What a smokin fantastic weekend...
The whole thing was just so much fun..
The weather just threatened and threatened and threatened some more,,
but it was some of the best flyin weather ...
Plenty of big holes in the clouds,, the sun poking through,, just beautiful...
My greatest compliments and thanks to URRG,, AGAIN.......

Teddy

I would too, actually, Matt. :) Unfortunately, due to limitations of my lens, that picture (and most of the pictures above) are shown near max-resolution already because I had to crop the crap out of the images to get that much. There are a few others at the gallery linked above, and others still that I haven't posted. I only uploaded about 1/4 of the photos taken, since I haven't had time to go through the others. But many are redundant shots.

Thanks Rick. I'm very happy to have that shot!

Back