URRG April 29th & 30th Launch, Potter NY

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKeller

Reaction score
This weekend is the first launch of the season in Potter! We are expecting a GREAT turnout with some big flights going up.

We are going to have a full list of vendors ON SITE!

Performance Hobbies, MAC Performance Rocketry, One Bad Hawk, and Animal Motor Works!

This is an awesome opportunity to stock up on supplies for the season! No shipping and no haz charges on motors! Call them ASAP if you want something specific at the field!

AMW will have hot food and cool drinks!

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1493084290.225259.jpg

Working on it...

I will have Simple Circuits and Rocket Vision Mach Buster kits on site. The fins will be fresh from the source!

What is everyone bringing to fly? I will be flying the above orange and grey rocket on a 76-2G K559 Plainer Jane and a small LOC 2.1" scratch built rocket on a 29-3G H130 Plain Jane.

I'm not sure either, might fly some Patell 29mm hardware, but I gotta cut some grains first :) my MAC scorpion isn't quite ready, I've got a few parts to pick up from the vendors. tempted to fly my lil rascal on a K360... ZOOM!

Hoping to fly my 54/1600 plainer Jane in my MAC villain. May get together a rocket to try a 38/740 as well, not sure.

I just committed to coming down and booked my room today.

I am likely only going to bring one rocket, "Bizzie Bee" my cut-down by 5", repainted yellow and black 3" Darkstar. I am likely going to launch it on a Loki L-1040 Red (54/2800) to 14ish K @ Mach 1.3ish. I am also going to try my hand using my new Go-pro to hopefully capture some at-pad slowish motion video of the launch, to supplement the on-board Mobious wide video of the flight. For tracking I will be using my TeleGPS and have some real-time telemetry playing over synthesized audio, as well as directional RF Com-Spec tracking for back up.

Hopefully all goes well and I get some decent media in order to put together another video.

As it looks right now I will be targeting a Sat mid-morning to mid-afternoon launch window, as the Sunday forecast is still optimistically iffy.

I'll only be there on Saturday so I plan on flying Princess Roxie on a 4 grain Aqua Flame 98 mm motor I just cast and assembled this last week.

Princess Roxie.jpg

The forecast for Sunday is changing every three hours. Driving me nuts, but hopefully it'll clear and I'll put the Villain to 8k. If not.... I'll bust out the Optimas.

Can't wait to put a few up. The plan is to fly the 3" BOLT Missile and the 4" VTS-6. I'll also be flying a couple new soon to be available kits. One 3" and one 4". Really looking forward to dinner Saturday night at Smugglers Cove and cocktails around the campfire at Country Charm. See you at the field!

Last edited:
Can't wait to put a few up. The plan is to flying the 3" BOLT Missile and the 4" VTS-6. I'll also be flying a couple new soon to be available kits. One 3" and one 4". Really looking forward to dinner Saturday night at Smugglers Cove and cocktails around the campfire at Country Charm. See you at the field!

Ohh mann,, I am psyched..
I am really torn between I don't want to bother with a flight,,
and what I was planning,,
An airstart with Europa Express.....

Maybe..

I just want go sit and watch all the flights and talk to everybody...

Teddy

Ohh mann,, I am psyched..
I am really torn between I don't want to bother with a flight,,
and what I was planning,,
An airstart with Europa Express.....

Maybe..

I just want go sit and watch all the flights and talk to everybody...

Teddy

This is why I was thinking one flight, ideally it would be one flight per day but I am not counting on Sunday. I would rather stick one up, check out some flights, walk around get a chance to check out what everyone is doing, maybe help with some recoveries; just take the edge off being focused on prep or recovering my rocket.

This is why I was thinking one flight, ideally it would be one flight per day but I am not counting on Sunday. I would rather stick one up, check out some flights, walk around get a chance to check out what everyone is doing, maybe help with some recoveries; just take the edge off being focused on prep or recovering my rocket.

Yep,,
It's really does make for a more relaxed launch
if you plan a bit less flying...

Sounds silly,, that's why we go there,, lol..

Teddy

Is it as dry as it looks? With recent rains and the fact we're on the plus side for precipitation so far this spring, I was expecting muck. I even bought a new pair boots...

According to Rick, the Farm Manager, The field has had no issues with water this whole spring.

That's good considering the club is told that between two to three collages and one or two high schools and an assorted number of just folks, that there should be somewhere between 20 to 30 L1 certs and around a dozen L2 cert test and flights this weekend. Sounds like it's going to be a busy weekend.

Great news Dutch. I am getting my car loaded and ready for the 4am trip. Cant wait to see everyone this weekend sounds like we have a full house of cards with certs and college attempts. A bunch have called and left messages for me tonight. I am sorry I couldn't get back I got called into work and just getting freed up. Its a little late for return calls. Ill be on the field at 730ish and get things set up with anyone who likes coffee. Cant wait cant sleep its the first launch and we are going to have a blast. Click Click Pull.

My ability to attend today was OBE.
I was thinking of trying to run up Sunday, but present weather reports indicate heavy rains in the AM.
I will need to check again in the AM. If anyone there could post how things really are I would appreciate it...

Thanks

I'll only be there on Saturday so I plan on flying Princess Roxie on a 4 grain Aqua Flame 98 mm motor I just cast and assembled this last week.

Wow, what a great flight this afternoon, was expecting about 4K with this motor set up. Ended up getting 6446' and a picture perfect flight and recovery, Landed half way between the farm road and the irrigation pipe.

What a great week end. The rain that hit many parts of the state missed us. Sunday had sunny skies. Saturday we had 114 flights and half were HP. We had students from all over. Last count we did 30 certifications which I think is a record for our club at one event. I couldn't believe how dry the field was it was actually dusty dry. One thing I am learning about that field is the soil and drainage tile make it dry out as fast as it can get wet. I really enjoyed the weekend, camping and camp fire fun with the whole crew. Looking forward to next month.

What a great week end. The rain that hit many parts of the state missed us. Sunday had sunny skies. Saturday we had 114 flights and half were HP. We had students from all over. Last count we did 30 certifications which I think is a record for our club at one event. I couldn't believe how dry the field was it was actually dusty dry. One thing I am learning about that field is the soil and drainage tile make it dry out as fast as it can get wet. I really enjoyed the weekend, camping and camp fire fun with the whole crew. Looking forward to next month.

Thank you for your hard work Larry! Great launch with great people.

What a wonderful time this weekend was,,
but that's no surprise at all..
Thank you all for all of your hard work..
I just couldn't believe how busy you guy's were this weekend...
Good for you...

Teddy

This weekend saw a couple CATOs. I only got pictures of two. Not sure who's rocket this was, but there were a lot of college students there on Saturday, so there were a lot of people I didn't know.

33997702300_f57afa0b27_c.jpg

Dave's aforementioned postage stamps:
34341208176_1db24b1840_c.jpg

34223903892_080ef80057_c.jpg
34223904972_e3e39cda16_c.jpg

33572213823_82ae53e091_c.jpg
33997696300_7c91fe5d87_c.jpg

33572203423_382a78c2da_c.jpg
33572208653_f4b4a3514e_c.jpg

More photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132724805@N04/albums/72157683281444515

Just to echo what others have said. Thanks to the URRG members who organized and setup this event. It was great to see everyone and the Saturday night Smugglers and campfire experience was a lot of fun. Looking forward to seeing everyone @ URRF!

Back