URRF 2022 In the Finger Lakes Region of Upstate NY..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohhh wooowwww..
It DID clear up..
It's looking wonderful now..
That's great..
PSYCHED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teddy

Ohhh wooowwww..
It DID clear up..
That's great..
PSYCHED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teddy

Ohhh wooowwww..
It DID clear up..
That's great..
PSYCHED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teddy
Indeed.

Going for at least 4 launches with this changed forecast. Whatever I can fit in the truck to make the trip over there really. Some I's, J, K, L and an M. Thinking I've got some snitches around somewhere that are super fun with 18mm composites.... 😂

Not going to make it. Staff can feel free to pass on my raffle tickets to someone that feels lucky.

Todays the beginning of one fun weekend the field is ready to go we had a great group dinner at the country charm campground last night. Super taco good to hear your coming out. Cave central I will give your tickets to Syracuse Rocket club. James Shatell from SRC comes every year and gives out rockets to the kids they set up a tent, it's a real nice thing they do to support the hobby.

The weather is looking great all weekend and the BBC is to die for bring rockets and appetite and your in good hands.

I had a great time at URRF! Many cool flights to watch. I only managed to get in one flight myself, and you'll be able to see why in the video:

Thanks again to Jason for his recovery help. Looking forward to making out to Potter again soon.

Here's the Flickr link to all the pics I happened to get Friday and Saturday. Feel free to download and share.

Thank you URRG for such a great launch and a big thank you for the hospitality amongst all the fliers

https://www.flickr.com/gp/192740775@N03/5yc452
Thank you for posting these pictures. I now have still photos to accompany the onboard video.

Also, thank you to the URFF committee for a wonderful launch weekend.

Just wanted to echo the sentiments of the previous comments above...Had a GREAT time this past weekend. Kudos to all the folks at URRG who put on a spectacular event!

Got in a total of 9 flights on Friday and Saturday. (Got my Level 1 Cert on my ARR Blue Phenix 2.0 on one of them!) Also got the chance to fly again with my now college-aged son, who drove in with some buddies to meet me on Saturday. Another truly memorable weekend, to add to those from our prior visits in years gone by for URRF 3 & LDRS 34.

We did unfortunately lose 1 rocket late Saturday afternoon...An Estes CC Express model rocket (~24" long with red body tube with black fins & nosecone & small red chute...photo attached.)

CC Express Sustainer.JPG

Rocket drifted back over the flight line over the trees on the left hand side, and landed somewhere on the land of "property owner B" on the recovery map. 3 guys were not able to find it after ~an hour of searching in the trees and wheat/cornfield there. This rocket has some sentimental value, so if it is found before the weather destroys it, or turns up in the lost and found, would be interested in getting it back. (Will pay for shipping, and a modest reward.)

Irregardless of the lost bird, still a great weekend! Thanks to all from URRG and elsewhere for another great weekend!

Dan Tyszka
NAR #95916 (L1)
CMASS Member
Chestnut Hill, MA

We did unfortunately lose 1 rocket late Saturday afternoon...An Estes CC Express model rocket (~24" long with red body tube with black fins & nosecone & small red chute...photo attached.)

This rocket has some sentimental value, so if it is found before the weather destroys it, or turns up in the lost and found, would be interested in getting it back. (Will pay for shipping, and a modest reward.)

Irregardless of the lost bird, still a great weekend! Thanks to all from URRG and elsewhere for another great weekend!

Dan Tyszka
NAR #95916 (L1)
CMASS Member
Chestnut Hill, MA
I believe this rocket got brought over to lost and found by some locals....

What a fantastic launch.. Everything went just wonderfully.. Some of the flights were just insane..
The food was the best food I've ever had at a rocket launch..
I've never seen a food vendor actually bring a smoker to a launch before..
The weather was even fantastic..
URRF just proves to be a launch of the year each and every year again and again..
Sandy and I had such a wonderful time.
Much thanks to all the hard working URRGers who made this happen..

I'll thank you and thank you again..

Teddy

Another Bad Idea flew on a J460T. Held together just fine.
3 inches in diameter, 323 inches long
I'd say one of the longest superrocs, I'm sure someone had a longer one / higher aspect ration then 107.67

somebody post a video! Mine isn't so good

"A Tall Order"

Thanks for providing the Thermite doobie.

Attachments

• IMG_2111.JPG
    IMG_2111.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2112.JPG
    IMG_2112.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 0
Wow. What a weekend that was. Incredible flights. Just incredible. Thanks to @jFlds for the amazing pictures. I’ll attach the ones of mine he took on Saturday.

04C95240-1F09-40A2-9439-49D3469BB97D.png42584219-9B76-4BD3-9DE8-FCA99D6ADD7F.jpeg Love the quality. Flew this on an L1395 BS motor and let me say, I LOVE that motor. The rocket sim said it would go to 15,587’
So anyways the Marsa beeped out 13,187’ and I’m perfectly happy with that. This was my first Super sonic flight. Mach 1.2 to be exact. Everything worked flawlessly on this flight and couldn’t have asked for a better weekend. Thanks to everyone at URRG and also the volunteers, this wouldn’t have been possible without them. Wonderful people and great event.

Onboard footage:

William

Last edited:
Wow, that’s awesome! You’ve made my day (and my son’s day…this was one of his favorite rockets from his childhood!) URRF 8 continues to amaze and surprise!

Thanks for letting me know. I’ll reach out to you with a private message about making arrangements to get this rocket pulled from lost and found, and returned.

Thanks again!

Wow, that’s awesome! You’ve made my day (and my son’s day…this was one of his favorite rockets from his childhood!) URRF 8 continues to amaze and surprise!

Thanks for letting me know. I’ll reach out to you with a private message about making arrangements to get this rocket pulled from lost and found, and returned.

Thanks again!
Dan,
It sure was nice meeting you and your son..
For anyone who has a lost rocket if it was found it will be in the storage / shipping container at the oasis..
Just pick it up next month if you can..

Teddy

Last edited:
Three of our launches from this past weekend at URRF. Fantastic launch. This annual launch deserves more traffic.

@supertaco, I don’t know if you’d be interested, but I believe I have some pad footage of you’re rocket taking off. My GoPro kept running after my flight went up until it eventually overheated from the sun haha. This would be your flight from Saturday I imagine. I’ll attach it below…(ignore the ending…I had to run it through an editing program in order to upload it on to here.)

Attachments

• IMG_9722.MOV
    45.6 MB
@supertaco, I don’t know if you’d be interested, but I believe I have some pad footage of you’re rocket taking off. My GoPro kept running after my flight went up until it eventually overheated from the sun haha. This would be your flight from Saturday I imagine. I’ll attach it below…(ignore the ending…I had to run it through an editing program in order to upload it on to here.)
Wow, totally cool. Thanks a lot for this!

I want to thank the URRF crew for helping with my unusual hybrid project THRP-1. They are good folks to work with! Also a big thanks to the local crew - Al Anderson, Bill Schworer, Mitch Guess, Jerry O'Sullivan, Ivan Galysh, Ben Russell! And it was a pleasure to meet many of the people from this forum!

Attachments

• IMG_2956.JPG
    IMG_2956.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2963.JPG
    IMG_2963.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2965.JPG
    IMG_2965.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot from 2022-06-27 13-10-50.png
    Screenshot from 2022-06-27 13-10-50.png
    467.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0885.JPG
    IMG_0885.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 0
Wow. What a weekend that was. Incredible flights. Just incredible. Thanks to @jFlds for the amazing pictures. I’ll attach the ones of mine he took on Saturday.

View attachment 524664View attachment 524665 Love the quality. Flew this on an L1395 BS motor and let me say, I LOVE that motor. The rocket sim said it would go to 15,587’
So anyways the Marsa beeped out 13,187’ and I’m perfectly happy with that. This was my first Super sonic flight. Mach 1.2 to be exact. Everything worked flawlessly on this flight and couldn’t have asked for a better weekend. Thanks to everyone at URRG and also the volunteers, this wouldn’t have been possible without them. Wonderful people and great event.

Onboard footage:

William

Nice rip! Where's the rest of the on-board video?

Nice rip! Where's the rest of the on-board video?
Unfortunately the camera stopped recording right before apogee. You can see part of the Canandaigua lake and some sky and that’s about it. The hole onboard camera thing was actually an experiment. It acted up the other time I wanted to fly it which was two months before and didn’t work. So I took it apart and checked everything out and put it back together because everything seemed fine. So then it started recording and I thought it was fine. It’s hit or miss with that thing because sometimes if you bump it ever so slightly it’ll shut the entire thing down. Then I guess going Mach 1.2 is no problem all of the sudden haha. So we thought that was really the icing on the cake to get 85% of the flight at least while thinking it wouldn’t work at all. I still would’ve loved to see the apogee deployment and the arking over part. Still cool tho!

William

Unfortunately the camera stopped recording right before apogee. You can see part of the Canandaigua lake and some sky and that’s about it. The hole onboard camera thing was actually an experiment. It acted up the other time I wanted to fly it which was two months before and didn’t work. So I took it apart and checked everything out and put it back together because everything seemed fine. So then it started recording and I thought it was fine. It’s hit or miss with that thing because sometimes if you bump it ever so slightly it’ll shut the entire thing down. Then I guess going Mach 1.2 is no problem all of the sudden haha. So we thought that was really the icing on the cake to get 85% of the flight at least while thinking it wouldn’t work at all. I still would’ve loved to see the apogee deployment and the arking over part. Still cool tho!

William
Runcam2? I've had similar issues.... :(

Back