URGENT-product warning- Dutch Boy Acrylic Enamel spray clear!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Zooch

Reaction score
I just finished one of my Saturn IBs to use as a display- it came out great... that is, until I went to spray on the clear acrylic enamel coat! I had a can of Dutch Boy Fresh Look Acrylic Enamel 3733 Clear. I'd just bought it and used it two days before on some decale sheets- followed the nozzel cleaning proceedure and then, about 10 minutes ago went to spray it on my brand new Saturn IB Build... The junk shot out like silly string, globbed all over the rocket and wrecked it on the spot. Then it proceeded to dry quickly in big silly string foamy blobs. About all I can save, once it finally dries, will be the fins and the Apollo spacecraft and LES. Two weeks of work- shot down in 10 seconds.

If you have a can of this junk, DO NOT USE IT! I'd advise that you take it and any other Dutch Boy products back to where you bought it and demand a refund before you risk ANY of your own hard work by using the products.

zxtrf.jpg

Quick Tip: Even if I just used a can five minutes ago . . . AND cleaned the nozzle . . . first shot of spray always goes on the ground.

If you did that too, and still got the silly string, then you must have angered the rocket gods!

Sorry for your lost work.

YIKES!
I have a couple of cans of this stuff in the "stash".
Thanks for the Heads-Up, but sorry for the loss.

Maybe a funeral pyre is required? (For the rocket not the clear coat)
:D

Quick Tip: Even if I just used a can five minutes ago . . . AND cleaned the nozzle . . . first shot of spray always goes on the ground.

If you did that too, and still got the silly string, then you must have angered the rocket gods!

Sorry for your lost work.

Yep- I sprayed the first burst over the rail, turned the can back and bam! two weeks of work down the drain. I lost the whole SIV-B and all 8 tanks. I managed to save the boat tail and fins- although one fin will need sanding after the bubbles dry fully. I managed to surgically remove the tanks, but the SIV-B was wrecked. You can turn the can upside down and clean the nozzle and the very next burst sprays fine- but a moment later you get silly string. Did it several times to make sure it was really happening. Never saw clear acrylic do that before- but I've never used Dutch Boy before either. Guess what the odds are that I'll buy another of their products.

Sorry to hear about the ruined work. Thanks for the warning.

Sticky until further notice.

I just finished one of my Saturn IBs to use as a display- it came out great... that is, until I went to spray on the clear acrylic enamel coat! I had a can of Dutch Boy Fresh Look Acrylic Enamel 3733 Clear. I'd just bought it and used it two days before on some decale sheets- followed the nozzel cleaning proceedure and then, about 10 minutes ago went to spray it on my brand new Saturn IB Build... The junk shot out like silly string, globbed all over the rocket and wrecked it on the spot. Then it proceeded to dry quickly in big silly string foamy blobs. About all I can save, once it finally dries, will be the fins and the Apollo spacecraft and LES. Two weeks of work- shot down in 10 seconds.

If you have a can of this junk, DO NOT USE IT! I'd advise that you take it and any other Dutch Boy products back to where you bought it and demand a refund before you risk ANY of your own hard work by using the products.

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. Never seems to happen when you are painting a generic 3FNC, does it?.

For anyone looking for a great clearcoat, try the newer Krylon Clears, the ones marked "UV-Resistant". They offer more clears than any company I know. I've used this stuff over a lot of different paints with great results. If I paint a model with flat paint, I use the Gloss clear over it if I need to add decals, then cover with the Matte clear to restore the natural flat look.

Here is an Outlander painted flat gray, and shot as described for the decals.

Last edited:
Back