Upscale Snarky

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxQ

Tripoli 2747
Reaction score
I started this project awhile ago and set it aside while working on other projects.

I was waiting to see if anyone else had success upscaling and flying one of those Snarkys before attempting a flight myself.
I've flown the smaller Dynasar model for good results.

This upscale wouldn't be the easiest project to do in Rocksim, and I'm not sure what to expect, although an upscale might perform the same if the CG and CP relationship works.

So, I'm looking at this wondering what kind of nose weight might be required to handle the CG placement with all this fin area.....

Snarky B.jpg

Snarky A.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that's big! I am glad some of my "that will never fly" designs are hitting the big time...

you need to come to MDRA launches more often. They welcome projects like this!

Does it have fins and a motor? ok, pick a pad!! :D

Ben

That is quite an upscale, looks pretty darned cool.

Just load it on the away pad and give a heads-up to the crowd!

This is a 4in version built and flown by "The Rocket Reverend" Brad Wilson.

He did not have good luck with it. It flew marginally stable the first time on a 38mm 3grain motor I think it was an I-161 or I 357 t Delay was to long at 10 sec and barley deployed 25 ft above the ground. Flew in a large arc

I want to say it started with1/2 lb of NC weight and went up to 1-1/2.

It crashed at LDRS 28. but will be rebuilt and flown again after lessons learned.

Wish I could give you more details about the build. It definitely was an attention getter!

100_2745.jpg

This is a 4in version built and flown by "The Rocket Reverend" Brad Wilson.

He did not have good luck with it. It flew marginally stable the first time on a 38mm 3grain motor I think it was an I-161 or I 357 t Delay was to long at 10 sec and barley deployed 25 ft above the ground. Flew in a large arc

I want to say it started with1/2 lb of NC weight and went up to 1-1/2.

It crashed at LDRS 28. but will be rebuilt and flown again after lessons learned.

Wish I could give you more details about the build. It definitely was an attention getter!

Ouch.
The long arc sounds bad.

Mine is also 4" dia.
If the reverend couldn't get it exact with all his connections, I may have to think twice about this one.
I want to be doing the test flight on more than a wing and a prayer.

Maybe a wing and a prayer and a bucket of lead.

The long delay issue doesn't bother me too much...
I built this with a hatch for an electronics bay. I won't be relying soley on motor ejection to get something out when it starts down..( a zipper would bother me...)

I designed this for dual deployment from a single point (there is a sideways ejection port off the motor tube into the airframe and an ejection port into an internal parachute tube.

I plan on flying this with a GWiz for both apogee deployment (and possible future JATO units - airstarted - if it survives test flights) and motor ejection back up or drogue,...depending on how I configured it.

Last edited:
im just curious, why Orange? ;)

Ben

Out of respect for its heritage.....

800px-A_BQM-34_Firebee_I_on_stand_prior_to_launch.JPEG;

firebee.gif

610px-DC-130_mounted_Firebees_DN-SC-85-06043.jpg

firebee1.jpg

firebee2.jpg

Last edited:
I remember seeing the reverands but not the flight. The rocket may need some lead on ONE side of the nosecone. I.E. lay it on a table and let the weight settle to one side. Thats how Ive seen some people get rocket gliders and winged rockets flying.

Never tried it myself though.

Ben

I remember seeing the reverands but not the flight. The rocket may need some lead on ONE side of the nosecone. I.E. lay it on a table and let the weight settle to one side. Thats how Ive seen some people get rocket gliders and winged rockets flying.

Ben

Well...I'll give it a go...

Ben

The big scoop is actually an asset to keeping it straight, it's basically a duct running down the side of the rocket. Enough nose weight is critical too, and a proper delay time.

The big scoop is actually an asset to keeping it straight, it's basically a duct running down the side of the rocket. Enough nose weight is critical too, and a proper delay time.

Jim listen to that idea more :p

Ben

Yeah...I kinda figured that the scoop was like a tubular fin, but since it projects so far forward on the airframe I also figured it also brought the CP forward as well,which might be a problem...

Maybe like the way Brad's arced was in the same direction as where the scoop was located...?
Anuyne know how I can contact him?

MaxQ.......

Did this thing ever fly??

Nope.
I've been dealing with work and famly issues, and the few launches I planned on going to either had high winds aloft or got rained out.
We also lost our local field. and our big field at VAST, for which we are taking legal action in an attempt to restore our flying rights.

If anyone can get me in touch with Brad Wilson, I'd love to copmpare notes on this upscale project.

Back