Upscale Scissor Wing?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

vjp

Reaction score
I had been toying around with the idea of a big upscale (BT-80 sized) Orbital Transport for a winter project, but it looks like that one's been done a lot already, and I already have a couple (1x, 1.68x) in my fleet already.

So, I started wondering about doing an upscale - BIG - BT-80 sized Scissor-Wing transport. Maybe even with R/C for rudder and elevator. Not for showing off really, it's just that it would be a shame to build something that big only to have it land in the trees.

Anyone know if this has been done to death already?

KenParker

Reaction score
First I've heard of that idea. Sounds really neat.

Go for it !!! Oh yeah.... and post pics !

SwingWing

Reaction score
I have toyed with the Idea. I have a 24 mm SWT and have fooled with drawings for a 2" clustered version. I don't think I have seen anybody else do it and I think it would be a cool project. I worry about that big wing lifting during boost - my SWT's always seem to arc toward the wing during boost. It is more pronounced with the bigger model. I might add a fin(s) to the pop pod opposite the wing. I think the model would favor long burn, lower thrust motors.

If you do it - i wanna see pictures!!:)

pjbatglen

Reaction score
I wish you luck with the SWT, but just because someone else did the OT does not mean that you can't do it. I doing my OT upscale because I saw one and I just had to have one of my own.
I will keep an eye on your project because I thought of up scaling that kit but was intimated by the swing part.

SwingWing

Reaction score
I agree, don't look too hard for projects that have never been done! ;)
I love the upscale SWT idea. A BT-80 version would be about 2.66x. The pop pod would be about 2 inches diameter giving you many choices of motors and clusters.:cool: :cool: :cool:

eugenefl

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I say go for it. Back in the day I built a BT80 based Gyroc powered by 29mm power. Sure, it's been done before and it's probably been done BIGGER. BUT, can you name the people that have done it? Can you search this forum and find it? How long would you have to search before you found someone else that's done it? The point here is that you would be joining the ranks of a VERY limited few people who have dared to attempt such a thing. Even if you were among a handful, you'd still get my respect.

Best of luck to you. Post pictures. :D

Here's a link to my <a href="https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=735&highlight=Gyroc">MAXI Gyroc Project</a>.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds really good! Go for it Vince!
I've been working on a downscale Scissor-wing T-3 (3/8") od with a Micromaxx pod.
I still have my original size in good condition, maybe we can fly all three sizes at one of the early spring launches:)
I also have the original size plans and templates if you need a copy, let me know.

vjp

Reaction score
O.k., that settles it then! This'll be winter project #3 then, after I finish the Vostoks.

I think I'll forget about R/C for now, though, and just stick with free flight. Oh wait - there's that big pond at Middletown too - hmmm.:)

Yep, I think it's gonna have to be R/C.