Upscale "Praetor style" Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it would be cool(and cheaper) to use the upper white payload section in another build. I can use the upper section for basically any BT-80 lower.
In this case, I upscaled my Praetor style fin rocket..

Here is upscale with upper payload section attached.
A new rocket for about $5!!

I built with 2x24mm for E9 launches, hopefully fins won't flutter too much with that thrust.

I wouldn't worry about "fin flutter" with the E engines - they don't have a lot of *oomph* as far as blasting off like a gun shot - the long burn gives them the altitude. It ought to fly great!

Originally posted by Fore Check
I wouldn't worry about "fin flutter" with the E engines - they don't have a lot of *oomph* as far as blasting off like a gun shot - the long burn gives them the altitude. It ought to fly great!

Yep, I don't like to over-build my rockets, so I like the low thrust long burn E9's.
This is a cluster, so in theory, should be equal to E18 or maybe F18? Following that line, a double D12 launch would equal E24.

Keep in mind these fins are 1/8 inch balsa and are 11 inches long.
Still, should be alright.
I can't wait to paint and fly!

Nice build. You have a unique assortment of BP cluster rockets.

Pat, I'm truly looking forward to the launch next weekend. I have a few new BP rockets to fly myself. Your eagerness to build and buy seems to be growing exponentially. Perhaps sometime I'll show you "the stash" I have under the stairway in my apartment. Joe, Chris, Russ, and Jason have seen it. Order carefully. Your "stash" might get out of hand! :) We need to start a local RA group! (Rocketeers Anonymous)

Originally posted by eugenefl
We need to start a local RA group! (Rocketeers Anonymous)

We have! You can find our website here!!

:D

Pat, you come up with some of the best out-of-the-box designs out there - you don't alway conform to the norm, and they look great! Can't wait to see them on Saturday! I just hope I have some stuff to fly - I might have to go pick up a F50-9T for the 29mm Big Daddy :) BOOM! It's gone! Wheee...

Jason

Originally posted by eugenefl
Perhaps sometime I'll show you "the stash" I have under the stairway in my apartment. Joe, Chris, Russ, and Jason have seen it. Order carefully. Your "stash" might get out of hand! :)

Oh, cut me in!! I wanna see! At least post a pic:)

Originally posted by jetra2
Pat, you come up with some of the best out-of-the-box designs out there - you don't alway conform to the norm, and they look great! Can't wait to see them on Saturday! I just hope I have some stuff to fly - I might have to go pick up a F50-9T for the 29mm Big Daddy :) BOOM! It's gone! Wheee...

Jason

I just hope not too windy, last month my scratch build on 4 D12's drifted forever on an 18" chute with spill hole.

Definitley get a big nasty motor for your Big daddy, I didn't get to see it fly last time:(

Originally posted by pdooley
Definitley get a big nasty motor for your Big daddy

SIR! YESSIR! :D :D :D

I think I'll pick one or two at Ralph's on Wednesday :)

Jason

Originally posted by jetra2
SIR! YESSIR! :D :D :D

I think I'll pick one or two at Ralph's on Wednesday :)

Jason

Pick up an F25 if you can. That motor was *made* for your Big Daddy! It's a great long burn with a realistic liftoff and coast. The F25 doesn't put it too far out of reach either.

Pat, I think Jason said it well - you do have some unique "out-of-the-box" designs. It's always interesting to see what's new.

Originally posted by Fore Check

Ah, Fore Check, I wish you were right..

At least the HERC club got to see a good show as 2 of the three balsa fins ripped from the body.

The rocket was sent up on 2 E9-6's, about 50-100 feet up it shredded and went VERY unstable. The long burn E9's kept plugging away and the ejection charges fired deploying chute 20-30 ft from the ground.

I think Eugene got a lift-off shot, look for it in events section.

Already starting repairs.
Went to Michael's(after a few beers with some friends at the bar next door) and picked up some bass wood.

We will see if these fins hold up. I may even do some TTW mounting or maybe a little glass at the root.

Back