Upscale Orbital Transport Glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the throat is not narrow on this motor and it just goes in till it stops, 100% ignition with the supplied igniter and 12v supply.

Is there any special technique on getting the igniter into the H13 and assuring good ignition for this end-burner with a narrow throat?

Some pictures by Jim Wilkerson at ldrs 39.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1628134543718.jpg
    FB_IMG_1628134543718.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 22
  • FB_IMG_1628134552528.jpg
    FB_IMG_1628134552528.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 24
  • FB_IMG_1628134538779.jpg
    FB_IMG_1628134538779.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 22
  • FB_IMG_1628134548838.jpg
    FB_IMG_1628134548838.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 24
  • FB_IMG_1628134533554.jpg
    FB_IMG_1628134533554.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 27
Somehow in all the business of LDRS-39 I missed this flight, but I did see the photo's on a slide show at the LDRS-39 Banquet. I talked to Frank about this model. As I recall the 4" diameter nose cone has a printed nose cone.

Yes it's a lightweight 3D printed nose cone that's got binder did for me I actually flew the model twice once on Friday morning and once on Saturday morning I think you showed up later in the morning I tended to fly early

By George this is a beautiful thing. I gotta get a simulator and learn how get past that left-right thing that we all have to learn. I keep looking for things beyond the "whoosh-pop-drop" to keep the grandkids engaged... and my own mind/hands as well! Nice job!

Nice model and great flights, with the exception of that last one.

Where did you get the nosecone?
Bt-101 nosecones are rare beasts, when I needed a "Big Bertha" style nosecone for a Bt-101 based model I had to have it 3D printed.

Scott Binder did me a custom printed cone that is very thin that accepts a BT-101 coupler for the shoulder. I think it is around 2 oz without coupler.

Nice model and great flights, with the exception of that last one.

Where did you get the nosecone?
Bt-101 nosecones are rare beasts, when I needed a "Big Bertha" style nosecone for a Bt-101 based model I had to have it 3D printed.

Thingiverse has a file for a BT-101 nose cone, similar to what Frank mentioned. If not identical, certainly workable. I have the file, but have not yet printed one.

I have also used some of the customizable nose cone print files on Thingiverse to print a different BT101 cone. This one is a semi scale space shuttle ET cone for a friend doing a shuttle stack based on BT101 for the ET.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2953692

Attachments

• 3DFA2508-3DCA-4883-BBF9-23B7C0A6B265.jpeg
    3DFA2508-3DCA-4883-BBF9-23B7C0A6B265.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I wonder what that weighs, the base looks thick. The one that Scott Binder made for me is fairly thin, about 2.375 oz with coupler inserted I think with about 2.5 oz of weight in the tip when balasted for the heavier H-13 motor.

Thingiverse has a file for a BT-101 nose cone, similar to what Frank mentioned. If not identical, certainly workable. I have the file, but have not yet printed one.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2953692

I wonder what that weighs, the base looks thick. The one that Scott Binder made for me is fairly thin, about 2.375 oz with coupler inserted I think with about 2.5 oz of weight in the tip when balasted for the heavier H-13 motor.

The nice thing is that the wall thickness (and weight) of most printed cones is easily adjustable in the slicing software. I can pick thickness by increments of .040” (one filament). Two filament applications give a wall thickness of .080”, etc, etc.

Sounds like that same cone could be custom printed in a thickness that gives you the weight needed.

Some of the print files have a rather heavy base. I typically cut the thick part off, just like we do with the BT80 plastic cones.

Some of this is covered in that thread I started on 3D printed nose cones for RCRGs.

Frank, if anyone needs a 3D printer for custom nose cones, you are the one!…:)

I know I probably should but I just can't justify it, I'm in the hole for several trips to national events this year that garnered almost zero sales at or after the launches:( and a big bulk purchase of 24 mm casings I had to do and reloads for the same....I feel my mojo slipping away again.

Frank, if anyone needs a 3D printer for custom nose cones, you are the one!…:)

Last edited:
I know I probably should but I just can't justify it, I'm in the hole for several trips to national events this year that garnered almost zero sales at or after the launches:( and a big bulk purchase of 24 mm casings I had to do and reloads for the same....I feel my mojo slipping away again.

Hang in there!

I sure thought I would be doing more than I have gotten done since retirement. Too many non-hobby things demanding attention, plus a little deliberate laziness.....:)

Back