UPSCALE KITS OR BIGGER KITS?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenrocketfish

Reaction score
I have been looking everywhere for rocket boosted glider kits. Will was nice enough to send alot of info on plans, and I really thank him. I am looking for kits or plans like the Phoenix or the fake wulf found in this forum. I would prefer kits but would scratch build if necessary. Has anyone ever built an upscale of the centuri hummingbird? Also saw a link to an Inflight mach 10 which is an upscale version of the centuri mack 10 but could not get it to download. Any info on larger RBG's would be great!:D

I have been looking everywhere for rocket boosted glider kits. Will was nice enough to send alot of info on plans, and I really thank him. I am looking for kits or plans like the Phoenix or the fake wulf found in this forum. I would prefer kits but would scratch build if necessary. Has anyone ever built an upscale of the centuri hummingbird? Also saw a link to an Inflight mach 10 which is an upscale version of the centuri mack 10 but could not get it to download. Any info on larger RBG's would be great!:D
If you're interested in the Rokitflite Fake Wulf, contact TRF member rokitflite.

The InFlight Mach 10 is a clone of the Centuri Mach 10, not an upscale. It's also still for sale, so downloading plans with the intent of scratchbuilding one in the same scale is not a good idea, to say the least.

thanks JRThro, Have already spoken with scott and am a list for his Fake Wulf. Cannot get the webpage listed for the mach 10 to come up. Have tried for several days. I am looking for nicer kits than the traditional offerings or even larger kits. The kit scott offers is a nicer kit and I cannot wait to get one! The Phoenix is no longer offered to my understanding. Just wanting something a little different.
Thanks ;)

Go for the Edmonds Ecee Thunder. By far my favorite RG EVER!!! Finally built a second one. My first model had more than 40 flights on it before it was reduced to splinters by an overly energetic ejection charge...

Go for the Edmonds Ecee Thunder. By far my favorite RG EVER!!! Finally built a second one. My first model had more than 40 flights on it before it was reduced to splinters by an overly energetic ejection charge...
Hey, that's great to hear. I have been a little bit reluctant to try an Edmonds Thunder kit because of reviews that indicated that they tended to be rather fragile (see Guest's Opinions) and often break upon landing (unless you convert them to RC and are thus able to control the speed and angle of the landing.) I have always wondered, if that was the case, why they continued to sell, but your comment indicates much better durability than I was led to believe. Did you do anything special to your Ecee Thunder to enhance its durability?

MarkII

Mark,

There are several Thunder versions of Edmunds gliders. The "Thunder" designation means its the D-powered version of that particular glider. I've had great luck with the Deltie Thunder but not as much luck as PunkRocketScience with the Eecee Thunder.

Edmunds makes great kits, tremendous value for the money, usually easy to construct and they fly great.

Mark,

There are several Thunder versions of Edmunds gliders. The "Thunder" designation means its the D-powered version of that particular glider. I've had great luck with the Deltie Thunder but not as much luck as PunkRocketScience with the Eecee Thunder.

Edmunds makes great kits, tremendous value for the money, usually easy to construct and they fly great.
I realize that; I have been looking at them for a few years now. I own two Edmonds Competition Craft (a distinct and separate line of gliders) kits. The reviews that I linked to were for three different Thunder models (Deltie T, Ecee T and Gemini T). (I know that there are several others, too, for a total of something like 7 or 8 models in the Thunder line.) All three indicated repeated problems with breakage upon landing. I'm prepared to accept an explanation that they were just fluke accidents, but they caused me to wonder if this was a real issue with these kits, perhaps having something to do with their large size and mass? I'm really interested in these kits, but I want to hear that I will most likely get more than a couple of flights out of them if I build them per the instructions and fly them properly and with prudence; I really do. I am looking for reassurance here.

MarkII

Last edited:
The Ecee thunder is an amazing glider. i have flown mine several times with next to no real issues - had to do one repair where it had an unfortunate hard landing where it handed against a slope of hard ground.
i built mine stock, no special treatment, normal white glue. every flight has the glider gliding in flat. performs great on an E9-4, and pleasingly on a D12-3.
i have attached a video camera to the side of the Ecee T (at the balance point) and she still performed well.
This is my favourite rocket.

Hey Mark-

I did have a couple hard landings that needed to be patched up on my first Ecee T. The spot it tended to break was a joint right behind the canard where two sections of the airframe are joined together. Easy repair. This time I have reinforced the area with 1/32" plywood to hopefully not have to make repairs in the future.

Other upgrades I have made this time around:

Nose skid
Nylon hinges on the elevator
Canard bolted on with nylon bolts instead of being glued on
Tissued and doped wings and canard
Triangular stock reinforcements on rudders
Engine hook

I've had a lot of fun with an Ecee Thunder converted to R/c.

Full thread here.

Regards

FlyBack

Hey Mark-

I did have a couple hard landings that needed to be patched up on my first Ecee T. The spot it tended to break was a joint right behind the canard where two sections of the airframe are joined together. Easy repair. This time I have reinforced the area with 1/32" plywood to hopefully not have to make repairs in the future.

Other upgrades I have made this time around:

Nose skid
Nylon hinges on the elevator
Canard bolted on with nylon bolts instead of being glued on
Tissued and doped wings and canard
Triangular stock reinforcements on rudders
Engine hook

Todd, just seen the photos from the last flight of the Ecee Thunder on EMRR -bad luck there. are you planning to build another.
(ps is the pic of the two Ecees your two at once photo for the contest?)

Todd, just seen the photos from the last flight of the Ecee Thunder on EMRR -bad luck there. are you planning to build another.
(ps is the pic of the two Ecees your two at once photo for the contest?)

Ugh... What a heartbreaker... I was drag racing another guy with an Ecee Thunder at the launch. He took the first round and the goaded me into launching on a E9-4. BAD MISTAKE!!! Both rockets looped over and power pranged. At least mine is repairable despite how bad the crash looked in the pics, but my friend's was splintered into kindling....

I did get some good pics that I am submitting for the EMRR Double Vision contest... I have a couple really good pics that have been submitted for the Two at Once contest from last year's Plaster Blaster...

Back