Upscale Goblin

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John_461

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
With Halloween coming up, I thought it would be the perfect time to build another Goblin or two. But since I can’t leave well enough alone, I upscale mine to a bt-60 air frame, a stock Estes nose cone, and 1/8 ply fins and rings on a 29mm motor mount.

She’ll get a couple of shakedown flights this weekend on an F23fj and maybe a G77r. Then the fun starts. I’m thinking a G138t is in her future. OR sims it to mach 1.25 and 3800’

Recovery will be a 16” nylon parachute and a chute release to make sure it comes down in this time zone. 31F49070-A7B6-45C3-ACF1-CB7BB007D804.jpeg

I wouldn't push it past an F. While the fins will hold, Estes BT60 is quite flimsy and will have a very high chance of crumpling. I would've suggested doing it out of LOC tubing if you wanted to punch it.

This little guy only weighs 4.9 oz, and only has 5" of body tube that isn't re-enforced by either the motor mount or the nose cone shoulder. Even at 55G's, we're only talking about a maximum 8 pounds of vertical pressure. My only real concern is the shock wave created by the nose cone as it breaks the sound barrier buckling the body tube.

She flew Saturday on a F23FJ. Nice flight, but it broke the rubber band on my ChuteRelease and it took a while to come down. Luckily there wasn’t any wind and it only landed 200yrds away.

She flew Saturday on a F23FJ. Nice flight, but it broke the rubber band on my ChuteRelease and it took a while to come down. Luckily there wasn’t any wind and it only landed 200yrds away.

I saw your rocket posted on facebook! Looks really nice! A nice flight, too!

Well I missed the boat on having a Goblin built to fly this Halloween but I think I will have to start building one for next Halloween. I think I will do an upscale too maybe with a Pro Series 2" tube and nose cone.

Anyway, is there a rocket I need to have built for a launch on Christmas?

BTW, I dig the color scheme. What did you use on the body?

-Bob

Unfortunately, the Hobgoblin is not a Goblin and neither is the lil Goblin from Madcow. I don't see any current kits between the original and the 4". I expect LOC would kit one up if you called and asked.

Back