Upscale Estes DERV3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPatell

Reaction score
I know I have said a lot about it, but I never posted any pictures. Unfortunately, I don't have the greatest documenting skills, so the only pictures I have of the rocket are of it almost done.

So anyways, 6" Diameter DER V3 upscale. A single 54mm central mount surrounded by 2 38mm's. Capable of handling a K700 in the central, and 2 J350's in the outboards. Has the electronics bay between the top two centering rings, capable of holding a PICOALT Dual Deployment altimeter, as well as a future XAVIAN single event timer for airstarts. Single deployment at apogee, maybe dual deploy from a single tube if I can scratch build a Tether mechanism.

Should fly at a local launch on either a J570W or J800T. Big flight will be at LDRS, possibly loaded to the max. Hopefully on either 2 J350W's, or a single K1100T/K550w. I can't wait:)

This is the electronics bay inbetween the two centering rings. Yes, that tiny thing at the bottom is the altimeter! Also, I have the ugliest battery holder of all time, but I don't see it coming apart anytime soon;)

This is the tail end of the rocket. The central 54mm mount goes all the way into the chute compartment, while the 38mm outboards only go through the bottom two centering rings. In the foreground is the 38/720 casing that will hold a J350. Behind that is my new 54/1706 case, hopefully I will be able to afford to load it with a K550 soon:)

nice dude, max it out I want to see that thing rip!

Go for the seperate compartments for the two chutes like I did (it is the cool thing to do ;) )

I am absolutely tripping over myself looking at that rocket! OUTSTANDING work! As a kid the DER V-3 was HUGE for me. Nice to see an odd classic being upscaled and revitalized. In this case, the revitalization is in a major way! Nice work.

Looks like I'm going to have to scan those photos of my 4" Der V-3 and post them here...

Please do! I am interested in this rocket, I really like the looks of it. I plan to do a slightly bigger one, and maybe a 4" too. And then of course, I will have to make an original sized one... This is going to be fun!

Hmm...7.5" Der V3 upscale...6" motor mount for all sorts of clusters...

Then a 12" Diameter one for the heck of it...8" motor mount for even bigger clusters:)

Boy do I need a job!

I just got done sanding the body tube. Last night I applied wood filler on the entire tube. Did a nice job of filling all of the bumps and the weave of the glass. Lots and lots of sanding!

Tonight I have a game, but afterwards I may glue in the altimeter bay coupler for the hatch.

More pics soon.

:eek: Awsome Dan! I will be eagerly awaiting its maiden flight. :D

I just wish I could BUY a 54mm motor, I CAN afford it but it seems the current laws just wont let me,whats the secret?am I missing something here?
I cant supply storage ,can't get a leup ,,but kids on this forum can fly whatever they want

or is this all a big joke......LOL

Heyy Stymye...My dad provides all of that! I just "donate to his cause;-)"

As an update, I completely sanded the rocket, and it is now ready to get some Kilz rolled onto it. So far so good! I also glued in the plywood tabs for the electronics bay hatch to screw into.

Here's a pic of the sanded rocket.

And while I was downcellar today, my dad made me clean up a little:mad: So, I figured I'd post a picture of the "rocket wall," for lack of things to do. Those are the RATT I80 and K240 cases hanging down, and the Dr. Rocket 54mm's standing on the air hockey table...I need to buy some tupperware to store them in.

Don't know why the picture came out blurry, oh well. And in the bottom of the pic is my hockey goalie pads:)

Here's the rocket primed with roll on Kilz....guys....I think I'm in love with Kilz now:D I just don't like the mess...

Now I have to start thinking of a paint scheme...should I go with the stock Red with the decals?

Well, I have it most of the way simmed out. I have run into the problem that I had attempted to avoid, though...the rocket is too darn light!!!:eek:

The complete body without nose, chutes or motors is 5# even. This is bad, because the planned motor configurations will put it wayyyyyyyy over the LDRS waiver.

So, I rethought my motor choices with Carl:)

It will fly in April most likely on a J460T. At LDRS, the motor of choice will be a K1100T, as of now. I have been thinking of trying a pair of H242T's off of the pad, airstarting a J275W at about a half second into the flight. Should be cool.

Here's the Rocksim.

Some more sanding and another coat of Kilz and this beast will be ready for paint. The nose should be started this week.

I can't make the original decals for it because I cannot print white, and I want to spend the money it would cost for Tango Papa decals on motors.

So leads me to thinking...How should I paint it? I was thinking cherry red with my first attempt at airbrushing white flames on. Or maybe a patriotic paint scheme...

Back