Upscale BLU-97B

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
I immediately fell in love with the Estes BLU-97B cluster bomb when I first saw the promo ads. Carl was good enough to hook me up with a kit :) and since I liked Carl's 24mm upgrade I did one of my own. The review is pending on EMRR.

With the success of may last Quaker Oats rocket, the Fat Oat Cholesterol Buster, I decided that a semi-scale version based on two 5" bins would provide a nice flight on Gs.

My first step was to start the cone. (pics in following posts) I found that a 2" slab of pink sytrofoam is pretty close to the right thickness for the upscale. I used my Rotozip to rough out a cut for the cone itself and a shoulder section. The cut is way to shallow, but its a perfect circle. I made each cut a little big so that I could use the cut as a guide to rough out the disk using a hand saw. Once the cone section was cut out, I epoxied a bolt into the hole instead of a dowel. A metal bolt works perfectly and I will eventually need to weight the nose anyway. When the glue set, I used a hand file to even the circle up a bit, and then placed it in a drill clamped to a vise, and finished shaping it with several grades of sandpaper.

To extend the cone slightly, I cut a 3/4" circle from the bottom an oat bin. This thickness is not perfectly to scale but I could follow the pattern on the bin most of the way around which simplified the marking a bit. I glued this to the bottom of the cone. The came filling with F-'n-F, sanding on the drill, more filling, etc.

The 'nipple' portion of a cone is a plastic cap from something (it's been laying around too long for me to remember what). It is pretty close to the right shape is close to scale (its actually a little too big). I carefully marked where it should go using the head of the bolt as a reference. I cut a slit and slowly worked the cap into the styrofoam.

Next, I coated the cone (without the plastic insert) with a layer of West epoxy, and used some of the epoxy to reinforce the inside of the cardboard extension. Then more sanding on the drill, mostly to knock down the drips that formed at the tip. The plastic insert was glued in and I went into the final filling/sanding/ priming/sanding processes.

The shoulder is a foam disc encircled with a piece of an oat bin. I will not be assembling these two sections until I decide on how I will add ballast. I am thinking about a piece of 24mm tubing extending through the shoulder and into the cone, encricling the bolt in the latter. Lead shot, a long eyebolt, and epoxy will come into play, I'm sure.

This series of posts will probably we the last for a while. Construction is currently being held up by my rate of oatmeal consumption.

First, here is the pic of the rocket that motivated me to use oat bins.

A top view of the cone. I still have a little more sanding and priming to go. Note the estes cone next to it.

Dick,

MAN!!! That nose cone looks absolutely perfect!!! Keep it up bro...more pics!

Carl

Thanks micro! It still has its share of minor imperfections that I'm working on. No rush while I eat my way thru the last body tube :)

I have begun construction of the lower section of the rocket, including the motor mount and fins. The motor mount is a piece of Giant leap 29mm phenolic that extends from the top of the oat bin to 4" below the bottom. There are 2 thin plybood bulkheads in the bin, one near the top and one resting against the bottom knurled lip of the bin (inset about 3/8" from the bottom). I built the fins out of foamboard and framed them with wood dowels. I wanted to keep the bottom light, and there will be plenty of room for a BIG chute. In a subsequent photo I added some green cross-hatching on the fin tab area and orange cross-hatching where the tab extends up into the recessed area on the bottom of the oat bin. The other photo shows two fins attached. Having the fins extend below the end of the motor tume allowed me to clamp them with a plastic ruler, which helped with their alignment.

Glues used: Gorilla glue for the tube/centering ring joints, carpenters glue for the centering ring/tube joints, Perfect Glue Type 1 to tack on the fins, carpenters glue for the fin/centering ring fillets, epoxy for the fin/motor tube fillets.

(more apologies for the poor photos...hope Santa comes this year :))

awsome man, it looks like that ping-pong table is getting some good use :D ;)

My work area is ever expanding...and I don't even have but one project in the works. If I ever broke out of the basement the world would be doomed :) Resistance would be futile.

Originally posted by rstaff3
My work area is ever expanding...and I don't even have but one project in the works. If I ever broke out of the basement the world would be doomed :) Resistance would be futile.

LOL! Yes, I tell my girlfriend that we need to move into a house. Her answer - "Why, so that our garage could become a rocket garage?" LOL!!!!!!!!

Dick, nice work! I am going to enjoy watching this project unfold. Seeing those Quaker Oats cans is getting me hungry! (Think Homer - "MMmmmm.....OOOaaatmeal....") I absolutely love your usage of foam project board. I think deep down inside you miss working with the stuff. I need to build me a 8" foam/poster board rocket one of these days!

Thanks for the interest eugene. Here is a report of my progress to date. After this, I am pretty much stalled until I do more eatin'. Maybe a bit of sanding, but that's about it. But then, other than gluing my coupler and the top section together, there isn't much left in total, besides sanding. I wish I could encode a sound bite of Homer's gurgle whenever food, or beer, is mentioned :)

I added the next pair of fins, and the rear 2.5" centering ring. Next, I added some pieces of foam board to fill the void in the rear of the body tube and to extend past the end by 1/4". The end pieces of foamboard were beveled to provide support for the tail cone sections. I also ran strips of foamboard along the line where the tail cone sections will meet the fins, forming a narrow shelf. This first pic shows this progress.

love it! Dick your creativity with materials is excellent!

OMG Dick..those fin stakes for the tailcone look awful familiar! ;) Man it is so cool to see one come together from my perspective. Your's will most definitely fly sooner as I still have to pic up a motor or two...

I want more pics and don't let a full can stop you; Ziploc bags will keep oats fresh for a long time ! :)

Great job so far bro,

Carl

I decided to use 1/64" plywood for the tail cone sections. I first roughed up the lower rim of the body tube and then ran a bead of Perfect Glue Type 1 along this rim, the shoulders on the fins, and the bottom centering ring. I quickly wrapped the springy wood over, but it didn't want to stay in place firmly. I should have pre-warped the wood overhight but instead went for a quicker method. I recently found that even though this glue doesn't call itself CA, the CA accelerant works on it. After the glue sat a bit, I went from edge to edge, holding the wood down firmly, and spraying accelerant (Insta-Set). This held fine except for a couple of places that requred a new bead of glue. I then followed up with white glue fillets all over. The result looks pretty good and seems nice and sturdy.

While I wait for the next oats bin I will work on the fillets, sand the top edges of the cone sections, and do some filling. I was thinking about reinforcing the fin/tail cone joints, but haven't decided on the method. Maybe if I get this all done I'll transfer my oats to a Tupperware bowl :)

stevem, carl, thanks for the encouragement! After borrowing your concepts for the 24mm version, I thought 'why stop there?" ;) Hmmmm, baggies are the perfect solution!

Dick, how'd you bevel the foamboard fins? Same method as wood or with 45degree-ish miter cut?

Soon your friends and family are going to wonder why you keep bringing them bowls of oatmeal at every meal. :D

eugene, this time I glued ~3/32 dowels on the leading and trailing edges, and the tips. These were cut at angles as needed to match the edges. I then filled the gaps with 3 layers of white glue covered by F'nF. I have done no reinforcing other than that, plus the support provided by the tail cone. I hope they hold up. As with many of my projects there is an element of experimentation. On previous mpr/hpr models, I used 1/8" dowels and laminated the board with fiberglass dry wall tape covered with carpenters glue, and then filled it with F'nF. This method is surprisingly strong. I had one rocket on an H242 go cruise-missile on me and hit hard. The fin sheared off but had no damage. In this case, I wanted to keep it lighter so I'm hoping with a BIG chute I'll be OK. I am thinking of using separate chutes for the nose, which will be heavy, and the body.

Hmmm, other uses for oatmeal: turkey stuffing, recovery wadding, home made adhesive...:rolleyes:

I was wondering if any of you have the unbuilt Estes kit and a flat bed scanner? I'd love a scan of the decals. TIA!

Finally resumed work on this project after the holidays and a long trip to the Lone Star State. And, I finally got a good digicam. Here is a view of the nekid rocket, which weighs in at about 2 lb loaded with a G80. I have a launch window this weekend but Sat is supposed to be very rainy, and Sunday very windy, so the launch may be postponed.

Is it just me?:confused:

Whenever I look at that nose cone....I think of the Super Bowl half time show.:D

sandman

Hmmmm, I wonder if jflis will post free skins for this application :D And I guess that skin would literally be of skin :D

Now I gotta nickname this rocket the Janet Jackson...LOL...sandman, you bad :D

I flew the upscale today on a G80-7. The boost was great and the 60" chute brought it down slowly enough. Unfortunately, the 15 mph winds caused enough down range velocity to crimp one fin. I guess I have to break down and glass the fillet area. Here is a shot of it just beginning to move. This is up maybe 6" from its starting point.

Originally posted by rstaff3
Unfortunately, the 15 mph winds caused enough down range velocity to crimp one fin.
I've always shot for winds under 10 and usually under 5 when I can, for just that reason. Boost pic is nice.

I find the 'when I can' the key phrase in what you said. If I drive a car load of rockets 2 hours away, I'm going to launch something if there is any way I can :) Today was one of those days and I left my common sense at home. I also found that the Estes Paveway II is unstable in high winds :( On the plus side, my Art Applewhite Qubits fared well :)

Back