Upscale Aurora Clipper rc rg for G12 motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It's a scale up of the kit exactly 1.5 x, wingspan is 23.5 in from tip to tip with no dihedral, the root length is 22.5" the body tube length is 27 in and the nose cone is 9.5 in Long, take those dimensions and multiply them by 1.5 x and you'll be right on using lightweight 3-in BMS tubing. You'll have to run the body tube longer than scale to compensate for the shorter PS-II nose cone which is also 9" long.

Last edited:

aerostadt

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The original Clipper (kit) is about 36" long, so that 1.5x scale-up would be 54" long. However, your first post gives the large Clipper as 58.5" long and my measurements from the photo's give about 59" long. I agree on the Clipper (kit) wing span of 23.5", which would make the 50 percent scale-up wing span be 34.5". However, the first post gives wing span as 37.5". I am using the lightweight 3-in tubing.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ignore the dimensions I posted at the top, I had a different longer nose cone that I used that skewed the total length longer than scale. I also did not radius the wingtips as much as the kit so that skewed the wing span.

Please use these dimensions from the actual kit I produce with a scale factor of 1.5x:

Total length 36.5" long.
body tube total length is 27"
Nose cone length exposed is 9.5"
Wing span is 23.5" without dihedral
Wing chord at the root is 22.5"

In the kit I place the wing 1/2" ahead of the rear of the body tube to help with CG, but for this scale up I'd use the wing right at the rear of the tube since you will normally need nose weight anyway.

Since the pro series II 3" nose cone is nice and light, I prefer that one but it is shorter at only 9" exposed length so you can run the body tube longer to compensate for total overall length. It is also much cheaper than any other 3" nose cone.

I would use:

body tube length total 45.75"
Nose cone 9" ps II cone
wingspan 35.25" without dihedral tip to tip, with about a 1.5" wingtip with radius
Wing chord 33.75"

Mount the wing at the rear of the body tube.

CG using these dimensions and the wing even with the rear of the tube should be 18.75" forward from the rear of the wing/body tube.

Last edited:

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Another great H-13 flight on the Aurora Clipper upscale.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I had a strange occurrence at the launch I powered up the model on the pad and one of the servos was running really really slow and I was getting a receiver voltage warning and one of the servos was really buzzy so I swapped flight battery and eventually the servo started moving like normal and I got a good flight out of it but I came home and replaced both servos it turns out those have been recycled from another big model that I had flown and maybe one got some gear damage or some other type of damage to it and I didn't think it was worth the risk. I've had only one or two of these hs65hbs ever fail on me.

Another great H-13 flight on the Aurora Clipper upscale.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I did a trim flight after replacing the servos this week at George Rachors, got my longest glide at 2:33 and highest boost at 1300' recorded with an altus metrum micro peak.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Another H-13 flight from this weekend, love this motor/model combination

Brian V

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
That was an Awesome flight!!!!!!!! Nice job Frank👍😃

aerostadt

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I had a strange occurrence at the launch I powered up the model on the pad and one of the servos was running really really slow and I was getting a receiver voltage warning and one of the servos was really buzzy so I swapped flight battery and eventually the servo started moving like normal and I got a good flight out of it but I came home and replaced both servos it turns out those have been recycled from another big model that I had flown and maybe one got some gear damage or some other type of damage to it and I didn't think it was worth the risk. I've had only one or two of these hs65hbs ever fail on me.
I recently noticed something similar. I was recently bench testing a model that had been refurbished after a crash. The servo's were chattering and didn't reach the full deflection I expected. I have been thinking of scrapping the whole model. However, maybe I should first try replacing the servo's. I have been using the Spektrum A3040 servo, although they are expensive and sometimes I have trouble finding them, I know they are compatible with the Spektrum AR400 or AR410 receiver. I glue my servo's in pretty good, so it may take some doing to remove them. Are there cheaper compatible servo's out there?

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer the hitec HS 65 Hb servos

I recently noticed something similar. I was recently bench testing a model that had been refurbished after a crash. The servo's were chattering and didn't reach the full deflection I expected. I have been thinking of scrapping the whole model. However, maybe I should first try replacing the servo's. I have been using the Spektrum A3040 servo, although they are expensive and sometimes I have trouble finding them, I know they are compatible with the Spektrum AR400 or AR410 receiver. I glue my servo's in pretty good, so it may take some doing to remove them. Are there cheaper compatible servo's out there?

Brian V

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
On my bigger RG’s I use HS65 HB servos and on the small ones I use HS55 servos have had no issues with either ones. Hope this helps.

aerostadt

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
On my bigger RG’s I use HS65 HB servos and on the small ones I use HS55 servos have had no issues with either ones. Hope this helps.
I'm going with your advice and Frank's and ordering the HS65 Hb. I remember one time checking some servo's that I had and they were not compatible with the Spektrum AR400 receiver and the Spektrum DX 6e transmitter.