Updates...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Great Goblin clone has been painted to the full 80%. It measures 36in long. Haven’t decided if I want to chop off the 2.5in to match the upcoming rocket. The tube is the 4 slot from Estes. I have lots of DBRM balsa fins, so used one for this build. I epoxied styrene to the fins.
I also wanted to use the cardstock CR. I epoxied a balsa ring to the front CR for protection. I glued the TTW fins before inserting the rear CR. The fins seemed wobbly so added lot more glue. Seems solid now.
I’m having trouble with the decal sheets in my inkjet printer. It’s difficult to print large decals on the sheet. I gave up on the black band and use electrical tape instead.

View attachment 579526

Nice. You should call it the Der Big Yellow Goblin. :)

Looks good. I'll head off the purists who would say that the Goblin fins are a little different than the Red Max fins by saying that as long as it looks like a Goblin, that's all that matters.
So there.
:D
That's true. The bottom of the DBYG sits 2" off the ground and the proposed GG looks like it's about 1" off the ground. If so, that means mine is only 1.5" longer. (Better than shorter, am I right?)

I’m having trouble with the decal sheets in my inkjet printer. It’s difficult to print large decals on the sheet. I gave up on the black band and use electrical tape instead.

For simple solid color bands like that you can also just paint the decal paper, then cut and apply the band or stripe. Better than running out of ink and an expensive cartridge for those larger solid-color decals, if the color is easily matched with a can of paint.

For simple solid color bands like that you can also just paint the decal paper, then cut and apply the band or stripe. Better than running out of ink and an expensive cartridge for those larger solid-color decals, if the color is easily matched with a can of paint.
That's true. I coulda just used black spray paint. A cautionary tale for anyone planning to clone it.

The video from the two days was a little disappointing... yes yes.. I am being a jerk. But there was no slo-mo of the MMX's which would have been awesome. The video was often zoomed way too far in. I mean I really appreciate the report and video!!!!! Just @Ronz Rocketz seem to have an off day or two. Don't get me wrong... I HAVE off days in still imaging. It happens!! So thanks for the video!
No, I appreciate it. That's the nature of the sport, mostly dependent on the weather. If I lived somewhere that had wide open spaces and low winds all the time, I'd go broke. The mediocre days keep me humble. This has been the wettest winter I can remember in Hawaii. We got lucky at Aloun on March 3rd. As the saying goes, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it. To paraphrase Kennedy, we do this and the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.

I appear to be remiss with posting my videos. It's been 3 weeks of bad weather and mild sniffles since I last posted a video. I've got plenty of @GlenP rockets to launch on Saturday. BTW, we'll be traveling between Dallas to San Antonio in early June. We won't have time to visit Houston. Anything interesting with rockets to see along the way between the two cities?

Several mid-power flights on a calm day and several Glen rockets on a windy day

Finally after several weeks of bad weather and a spring cold, had an awesome weather day. Got some really great flight videos. I forgot to add the altimeter to the Great Goblin and then forgot to add the flight cam to the video. I was also excited about trying out the new E35-5W. We were able to rescue the SBB from the 30ft tree using the 24ft pole and climbing up the trunk. A houseless man lent us his bicycle to use for climbing up the tree. I tried to find him the next day but didn’t see him.

I had one last E16-6 that the LHS sold and decided to try it again in the DBOM. The tube zippered a little bit but not bad. After I made this one, I bought four during the Estes anniversary sale for $12 and three before from the Amazon sale for $21. I kit bashed two and have the two kits from Galactic Manufacturing waiting. The winds Saturday morning picked up to 12mph, plus a girl softball game was happening in the park so didn’t want to bomb the girls with big rockets.

We launched several of @GlenP cardstock rockets with Gary’s help. We lost one to the winds and one landed in the baseball game after the ejection failed. This video reminds me of why I stopped using subtexts. The editing software moves them over a couple seconds every time I add a clip. The ground cam didn’t fall over again like it’s supposed to. I think next time, I’ll place the cam on a cardboard to make it easier to balance.

0:00 Intro
0:40 Der Big Orange Max E16-6 272ft 7pts
1:55 Flight video RR
2:35 Gary’s Semroc Goblin, B6-4 w/adapter
3:05 Super Big Bertha F15-4 608ft 7pts
4:28 Flight video RR
5:41 Gary’s Der Red Max clone, B6-4
6:19 Great Goblin clone E35-5W 6pts
8:02 Gary’s Super Shot, A8-3
8:39 Estes Hornet, B6-4
9:17 Biohazard D12-5 505ft 7pts
10:50 Flight video RR
12:09 Mission Bell A8-3 5pts
12:20 Flight video
12:33 Vortico QC12-4 3pts
13:10 Yellow Hornet A10-3T 2pts
13:42 Green Hornet 1/2A3-2T 3pts
14:08 Jet-puffed B6-4
14:50 Groove Tube A10-3T 3pts
15:17 Puck A8-3 3pts
15:45 Screaming Eagle A10-3T 1pt
15:56 Total 47pts + 5 bonus = 52 pts

Looks like it was Puck for the spot landing closest to the pad!
It's not easy pulling the chute out of the NC but on this day, that's not a bad thing. RIP Yellow Hornet and Screaming Eagle. I added clay to the Yellow and Green Hornet's NC. Worked great. I only had one of the 1/2As. The A10s were a bit too strong.

It's not easy pulling the chute out of the NC but on this day, that's not a bad thing. RIP Yellow Hornet and Screaming Eagle. I added clay to the Yellow and Green Hornet's NC. Worked great. I only had one of the 1/2As. The A10s were a bit too strong.
Bummer, but no major loss, those are just a sheet of paper!

Finally after several weeks of bad weather and a spring cold, had an awesome weather day. Got some really great flight videos. I forgot to add the altimeter to the Great Goblin and then forgot to add the flight cam to the video. I was also excited about trying out the new E35-5W. We were able to rescue the SBB from the 30ft tree using the 24ft pole and climbing up the trunk. A houseless man lent us his bicycle to use for climbing up the tree. I tried to find him the next day but didn’t see him.

I had one last E16-6 that the LHS sold and decided to try it again in the DBOM. The tube zippered a little bit but not bad. After I made this one, I bought four during the Estes anniversary sale for $12 and three before from the Amazon sale for $21. I kit bashed two and have the two kits from Galactic Manufacturing waiting. The winds Saturday morning picked up to 12mph, plus a girl softball game was happening in the park so didn’t want to bomb the girls with big rockets.

We launched several of @GlenP cardstock rockets with Gary’s help. We lost one to the winds and one landed in the baseball game after the ejection failed. This video reminds me of why I stopped using subtexts. The editing software moves them over a couple seconds every time I add a clip. The ground cam didn’t fall over again like it’s supposed to. I think next time, I’ll place the cam on a cardboard to make it easier to balance.

I don't know if I've asked this before, but can you explain the "Point" system for me?

wonderful video editing as usual.

was nice to put a blindfold on the Skull of Der Orange Max before sending him on an unknown future.

@neil_w BioHazard looked and flew great, long way from Joisey!

nice design and build, I would have expected it to need a 3 second delay with all that plumage, but between design and built light, the D12-5 was dead perfect!

do you have different cameras? In your first onboard has a grayish overtone which unfortunately most of my cameras seemed to have, the other onboard videos were much more vibrant and clear.

good to hear and see you guys. Even my wife now recognizes the location and voices!

thanks again for your kindness during our visit, we need to get out there again.

straight trails!

Last edited:
The Great Goblin clone has been painted to the full 80%. It measures 36in long. Haven’t decided if I want to chop off the 2.5in to match the upcoming rocket. The tube is the 4 slot from Estes. I have lots of DBRM balsa fins, so used one for this build. I epoxied styrene to the fins.
I also wanted to use the cardstock CR. I epoxied a balsa ring to the front CR for protection. I glued the TTW fins before inserting the rear CR. The fins seemed wobbly so added lot more glue. Seems solid now.

View attachment 579526
I had problems with solid black on my printer, so I took some scrap decal sheet, painted it black and there you go. Black decal for anything you want. I used a strip for my Goblin. Worked great!

I had problems with solid black on my printer, so I took some scrap decal sheet, painted it black and there you go. Black decal for anything you want. I used a strip for my Goblin. Worked great!
hmm, maybe suggesting this to @neil_w in a separate post wasn't entirely crazy! BTW, SOMEBODY suggested using a Scrap Book compatible black marker (apparently Sharpie ink runs with clear coat and/or future) to black out the white edges where you cut these things, so you a clean full black decal.

I don't know if I've asked this before, but can you explain the "Point" system for me?
No problem. 1 for ignition, 1 for going up, 1 for ejection, 1 for getting it back. Bonus points for cam, altimeter, RaceRender, JLCR, booster, etc. Bonus 5pts for each launcher who joins us. Any launch day over 40pts is an awesome day which would entail 10 launches of NC3F rockets as a comparison. At 52pts, it was a really awesome 2-day launch day. It's subjective but helps my analytical mind compare launch days.

do you have different cameras? In your first onboard has a grayish overtone which unfortunately most of my cameras seemed to have, the other onboard videos were much more vibrant and clear.

good to hear and see you guys. Even my wife now recognizes the location and voices!

thanks again for your kindness during our visit, we need to get out there again.

straight trails!
Looking forward to seeing you again sometime soon. Have you been successful with finding a launch area?

I wasn't confident with the E16-6 in the DBOM so used my old AC cam. The others used the #32S keychain including the SBB stuck in the tree.

No problem. 1 for ignition, 1 for going up, 1 for ejection, 1 for getting it back. Bonus points for cam, altimeter, RaceRender, JLCR, booster, etc. Bonus 5pts for each launcher who joins us. Any launch day over 40pts is an awesome day which would entail 10 launches of NC3F rockets as a comparison. At 52pts, it was a really awesome 2-day launch day. It's subjective but helps my analytical mind compare launch days.
i'll be confusing everyone now when I say, " That was a 4 pointer on the Ronz Scale" 👍

Looking forward to seeing you again sometime soon. Have you been successful with finding a launch area?

I wasn't confident with the E16-6 in the DBOM so used my old AC cam. The others used the #32S keychain including the SBB stuck in the tree.

Glad the SBB rocket chose the tree over the canal! Video was touch and go there. First time I was ever cheering for the tree!

RaceRender is a software package, aimed at car enthusiasts, that you can use to overlay data from some kind of data recorder onto video in the form of simulated gages or other instruments. In this case it is used to overlay flight data (altitude, acceleration) recorded by a FlightSketch Mini onto the onboard video.

There is at least one competing software product, called DashWare, but it is available on Windows only.

RaceRender is a software package, aimed at car enthusiasts, that you can use to overlay data from some kind of data recorder onto video in the form of simulated gages or other instruments. In this case it is used to overlay flight data (altitude, acceleration) recorded by a FlightSketch Mini onto the onboard video.

There is at least one competing software product, called DashWare, but it is available on Windows only.
ok, i've seen videos with Dashware before.

Memorial weekend launches with several sky writers on a blue Hawaiian day

There's no better way to celebrate Memorial Day weekend than to launch model rockets in the park and enjoy the freedom it entails. The weather was perfect with 80F and 54% humidity, and the winds were 5 to 7 mph with the occasional 12mph gust. I brought out a few MPR but decided not to launch them with the higher gusts. Fortunately, there were no softball games occurring for the rockets to interrupt. The beginning flight video was accidently left out of the previous weeks video so decided to use it as the intro.

Gary launched several conical cardstock rockets. The Vulcan was a bit twirly, but the others flew straight. The Mini Augie from @GlenP has Chad staging so no booster. I tape the motors together then insert into the rocket. It's been a while since I launched the CC Express. It had been sitting in my rocket container for many month. I think the fins may have been crushed. Afterwards, I tossed the rocket to the cart and busted off a fin. I was fortunate the fin stayed on during the flight.

The BOSS was also in the cart with a composite motor. The nozzle was fine, but the motor had a loud pop after launch so didn't go as high as I expected. I had inserted an E12-6 into the Astron Explorer. After Gary launched his Hi-Flier XL with the C11-3, I switched the motor to the D12-5. I used a 12in chute for the BT-55 which resulted in a quick descent and broken fin from the hard landing. I coulda used the E12-6 or the 15in chute, but not both for it to stay in the park.

0:00 Great Goblin clone flight video from last week 1pt
0:31 Mini Augie A10-0T&1/4A3-3T 4pts
1:34 Gary's Model Minutes Space Racer, B6-4
2:17 CC Express C11-0/C11-7 554ft 7pts
3:22 Flight video RR
4:42 Gary's Sunward Space Speedster. B6-4
5:14 Gary's MoreRockets clone of the Centuri Vulcan, B6-4
6:08 B.O.S.S. C18-4W 196ft 7pts
6:57 Flight video RR
7:50 Gary's Estes Hi-Flier XL, C11-3
8:46 Astron Explorer D12-5 347ft 7pts
9:44 Flight video RR
10:44 Total 26pts + 5 bonus = 31pts

Memorial weekend launches with several sky writers on a blue Hawaiian day

There's no better way to celebrate Memorial Day weekend than to launch model rockets in the park and enjoy the freedom it entails. The weather was perfect with 80F and 54% humidity, and the winds were 5 to 7 mph with the occasional 12mph gust. I brought out a few MPR but decided not to launch them with the higher gusts. Fortunately, there were no softball games occurring for the rockets to interrupt. The beginning flight video was accidently left out of the previous weeks video so decided to use it as the intro.

Gary launched several conical cardstock rockets. The Vulcan was a bit twirly, but the others flew straight. The Mini Augie from @GlenP has Chad staging so no booster. I tape the motors together then insert into the rocket. It's been a while since I launched the CC Express. It had been sitting in my rocket container for many month. I think the fins may have been crushed. Afterwards, I tossed the rocket to the cart and busted off a fin. I was fortunate the fin stayed on during the flight.

The BOSS was also in the cart with a composite motor. The nozzle was fine, but the motor had a loud pop after launch so didn't go as high as I expected. I had inserted an E12-6 into the Astron Explorer. After Gary launched his Hi-Flier XL with the C11-3, I switched the motor to the D12-5. I used a 12in chute for the BT-55 which resulted in a quick descent and broken fin from the hard landing. I coulda used the E12-6 or the 15in chute, but not both for it to stay in the park.

0:00 Great Goblin clone flight video from last week 1pt
0:31 Mini Augie A10-0T&1/4A3-3T 4pts
1:34 Gary's Model Minutes Space Racer, B6-4
2:17 CC Express C11-0/C11-7 554ft 7pts
3:22 Flight video RR
4:42 Gary's Sunward Space Speedster. B6-4
5:14 Gary's MoreRockets clone of the Centuri Vulcan, B6-4
6:08 B.O.S.S. C18-4W 196ft 7pts
6:57 Flight video RR
7:50 Gary's Estes Hi-Flier XL, C11-3
8:46 Astron Explorer D12-5 347ft 7pts
9:44 Flight video RR
10:44 Total 26pts + 5 bonus = 31pts

Ron,

Always a great video. Glad you guys are back to posting on youtube. I look forward to them every week and check for them every Monday morning. You Astron Explorer reminds me that I really need to take some time and get mine built. I love that rocket but the time it takes to build one properly is hard to come by these days.

Ron,

Always a great video. Glad you guys are back to posting on youtube. I look forward to them every week and check for them every Monday morning. You Astron Explorer reminds me that I really need to take some time and get mine built. I love that rocket but the time it takes to build one properly is hard to come by these days.
Someone posted this on my Facebook post. He said he used a H115.

1685601835034.png

Dallas Area Rocketry Society 2: Electric Boogaloo

Traveled to Texas again, this time to attend the professional conference in San Antonio. We flew to Dallas to visit my FiL and borrow the SiL's car to drive to San Antonio. Bill (@bjphoenix) mentioned they'll have the Sport Launch on the 4th which worked out perfectly before driving down to San Antonio. On Saturday, my BiL provided me a tour of the Lockheed Martin F35 plant. They make the wing section then piece the cockpit and tail sections to it in a mile long assembly line that started in WW2 for B-24 Liberator bombers. They complete an aircraft about every couple days. I wasn't able to take my cell phone with me so no pictures.

This time, I brought my own rockets (Chiller and Spirit plus booster). I went to Hobby Lobby to buy B6-6 motors for $7 and C6-0 motors for $9. They didn't have any D12-0 so went to Hobbytown to buy the D12-0 and an Estes altimeter for $36. Dave said the D12-0/B6-6 exceeded the Sport criteria. Fortunately, I was able to trade with John Palmer for A8-3 and C6-5 motors. Other DARS members who helped me were Bill, George (RSO) and Jack.

The weather was much milder than it was in December 2021 when we last visited. The Arlington field is an unapproved City property. Apparently last month, the grass was two feet high. The City subsequently mowed the grass to a reasonable 6in. I did find an Alpha3 that met it's untimely demise in the field from the lawn mower. Fortunately, there was only one lost rocket this time and one that flew into the neighborhood. The field was inundated with tiny moth-like insects that could only be seen when the light caught them. No one seemed to know what they were, but they seemed to congregate near the launch pads. There were plenty of field flowers after the mowing and rains.

The Civil Air Patrol had an impressive showing with their own personnel van and several Alpha3 to launch. At one point, they bent their fins to make them spin but didn't really effect the flight much of the NC3F rockets. At the end of the video, I included the rest of Bill's photos that he posted on the NAR Facebook page.

0:02 Spirit C11-0/B6-6 614ft 6pts
0:36 CAP Alpha3s
1:17 DRM B4-4
1:54 John's Space Shuttle D12-3
2:31 John's Viper
2:44 Mean Green
3:47 Elongated DRM D12?
4:12 Chiller D12-0/A8-3 910ft 6pts
5:35 CAP Alpha3s
6:27 Experimental rocket A8-3
7:05 Black/white C6-3