Updates...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mostly epic launches on a low wind day. New FS Mini stuck on the highest tree

Russ mailed me the very last Flightsketch Mini he had. For month's I've been using the Estes altimeters because I was afraid to lose the last Mini I had. With the epic success of the Leviathan, I figure this would be a perfect opportunity. Instead, the Der Big Citation Patriot landed on the top of the highest and biggest tree in the park, about 50 feet up. It will take a lot of effort to get it back. I successfully downloaded the data, but it didn't upload to the website and the app deleted the data. I think the initial reading was over 600ft. Effneh...

The winds were mostly under 5mph. What was weird is that it kept changing directions all around. After losing one of the two remaining Astrocam cams on the DBCP, the other one won't turn on. I still have the cube cam but didn't use it.

The Leviathan worked perfectly except I tested masking tape to keep the Kevlar cord together. It worked better in the DBCP, allegedly. The rocket is the remains of the Big Daddy and the Leviathan kit from Launch Labs. I was hoping to launch it at the farm on 7/31, but the winds were not favorable. The cameras don't capture the sound impact from the larger motors except for the cell phone stream. I download the stream using various website. YouTube seems to knock them down almost as fast as they come up.

The Scissor Wing was more successful. It glides fine on the ground level. I removed most of the clay from the front and will likely need to add clay in the back to keep it afloat. At the Blaisdell park launch the other week, Joe tried a new Pro Series II controller but didn't work. It seems there's a short in the wiring but need a triangular bit to remove the screws.

Gary's Scratch Birdie has an internal LED. The rocket conversion worked great so waiting for the next night launch. It looked like the shock cord failed on Roger's Disney rocket. The C5-3 lifted the 3D printed rocket off the rod, then the ejection charge went off 20ft from the ground. He glued it back together and might try a composite.

00:00 Intro
00:21 Leviathan 501ft 5pts
02:51 Der Big Citation Patriot 600+ 5pts
04:59 Gary's Mach 1 Exiter
05:46 Gary's Boxie Birdie
06:12 Gary's Scratch Birdie
06:41 Gary's Blender
07:10 Roger's TWA Moonliner
08:18 Gary's Lance Missile
09:20 Nike Apache 5pts
10:59 Scissor Wing 4pts
12:04 Box Racer 4pts
13:31 Super Mars Snooper 435ft 5pts
15:34 Vesta Intruder 512ft 5pts
17:21 Gary trying Joe's controller
17:46 Total 33pts + 10 bonus = 43pts

Live stream:

Last edited:
Did you happen to save the FS data locally? If so you should still have it. Check the flight log function in the app.

I try to save FS data in both places every time, just in case....

Sorry to hear about hanging both the model and a Mini in a tree, though.

Flying my rocketry flag at half-staff for the FS Mini. :angel:

Lots of epic (overused but accurate term) flights. Roger's Moonliner rocket broke into more pieces than any rocket I've ever seen. Crazy. The Scissor Wing is getting there, maybe next time. Great to see Gary out there launching again too.

Did you see Kevin's video where he stages a D12-0 to a D16-4 (BP to Composite). Never thought that would work, but it did. Very nice. :eek:

Did you happen to save the FS data locally? If so you should still have it. Check the flight log function in the app.

I try to save FS data in both places every time, just in case....

Sorry to hear about hanging both the model and a Mini in a tree, though.
Yes and yes. It just occurred to me that I have a FlightSketch folder on my phone. Sure enough, it’s all there but my logbook is blank. I reinstalled the app and no dice. Other than cursing Steve Jobs, how do I get the data back into the app so I can upload it to the website under my user name?

F28CB949-ACFC-47BA-8F31-13039DE9793C.jpeg
13A9BB6C-B8C2-4D4E-A8C4-B429CB9BFB0F.png
Actually, never mind. When I reinstalled the app, it deleted all of my data including the Mini that’s sitting in the tree. This is what I had before I refreshed the screen. Goodbye data. Effneh…

83996827-E1CA-46F3-831F-A5DCD198B879.png
6B22FE66-D93A-4C7F-830A-3E8A325A85B2.png

Last edited:
My progress so far getting the DBCP out of the tree about 50ft in the air. There's a 6' Kevlar cord between the heavy rocket and NC. The Mini Flightsketch is attached to the 3" wide NC.
1) Shooting a dowel with string using elastic hose. I got close a few times but not powerful enough.
2) Throw a baseball I found in the park attached to string. The best I could do was about halfway up. We tried a bat but no accuracy.
3) Dog wand to throw tennis ball with string. I got close several times. I just need it to snag onto the shock cord. Optimally, the ball will return to the ground so I can attach a thicker rope but not likely. We tried a bazooka like ball thrower; could only go about 25'.
Note: I've ruled out using a drone because would need a large drone to lift the snagged heavy rocket and probably would need a pilot's license to operate the large drone.
Another possibility is to duct tape two 24' poles together. This would be very heavy and probably difficult to control.
Any suggestions are appreciated (as long as they're legal).

What about using a drone to carry up the tennis ball setup or a small grappling hook and drop it over the cord. Then pull the rocket down that way. Probably some damage, but repairable. I have a setup on my drone that allows me to drop something from it.

Many of the other possibilities would be expensive, like getting the P&R people to allow you to hire a high-lift forklift or something similar or contacting the tree trimming company used by P&R to get it.

Best of luck.

I agree with JC Hobbies that hiring a tree professional might be your best bet. They know how to climb into and to the top of almost any tree. Based on where the rocket landed, it seems like you might need human hands to get that rocket back.

But hiring a reputable tree trimming professional climber won't be cheap. But I know there are "fly-by-night" outfits that exist who might be willing to do the job for under $100.

What about using a drone to carry up the tennis ball setup or a small grappling hook and drop it over the cord. Then pull the rocket down that way. Probably some damage, but repairable. I have a setup on my drone that allows me to drop something from it.

Many of the other possibilities would be expensive, like getting the P&R people to allow you to hire a high-lift forklift or something similar or contacting the tree trimming company used by P&R to get it.

Best of luck.
I've thought about it. How do I get the string through the tree from above? This this beyond my engineering skills.

I haven't asked but probably need a permit to drive a man lift onto the park property. They contract the tree trimmers but this is under a written agreement with the city. I know because they rescued my AIM when they happened to be there that afternoon. I paid them in energy drinks. Knowing the City, I could probably get a permit in about a year. By that time, the tree trimmers will have already been through.

I don't think my ladder and pole will go up that high but I'll bring it on Saturday and we can try it.
It's about 50ft up. We could duct tape my 24' pole to your 24' pole and use the ladder. Text me it you're available today. 😊

Bow and Arrow?
I've thought about that also. The tree is next to the tennis and basketball courts. I'm trying to avoid having the 5-0 called on me for using a weapon in the park. They frown on that in Hawaii. 😋

I've also thought about launching my Cadet with string attached and A10-0T. I might be able to get away with it before the cops show up. Generally, I'm trying to avoid a conspiracy to commit a felony charge in my endeavor. 😏

Last edited:
Go fly a kite!

Fly a kite with a long tail with some kind of hooks or duct tape/fly paper on it over the top of the tree? Could even use a steerable stunt kite to take a dive over the top when you have the line where you want it.

or on a non-wind day, use a helium balloon on a long kite string?

Go fly a kite!

Fly a kite with a long tail with some kind of hooks or duct tape/fly paper on it over the top of the tree? Could even use a steerable stunt kite to take a dive over the top when you have the line where you want it.

or on a non-wind day, use a helium balloon on a long kite string?
mary-poppins-returns-kite.gif

A fellow I fly with sometimes at Sixty Acres has a bag of shot or sand on the end of a light rope and he has gotten pretty good at swinging it in a circle and and releasing the line to take it up into a tree. He got one of mine down that way once, and retrieved a TARC model for a team that way as well. (Mine was treed on the north side just over the fence into the horse farm, the other was in one of the trees along the south end of the north field.) But I don’t think either of them was up quite as high as your model is….

A fellow I fly with sometimes at Sixty Acres has a bag of shot or sand on the end of a light rope and he has gotten pretty good at swinging it in a circle and and releasing the line to take it up into a tree. He got one of mine down that way once, and retrieved a TARC model for a team that way as well. (Mine was treed on the north side just over the fence into the horse farm, the other was in one of the trees along the south end of the north field.) But I don’t think either of them was up quite as high as your model is….
It's surprisingly harder to do then expected. We tried...

It's surprisingly harder to do then expected. We tried...
Yeah...when I watch Bruce do it, I am kind of amazed that he can do what he does.

The horseshoe idea that @Cape Byron suggested is a variation on the same approach....but I can see the advantage to the horseshoe vs. the bag of shot for the weight. But still, that's pretty high to sling whatever the weight is with any kind of accuracy.

*sigh*

@JC Hobbies : have a source for such a monkey? :)

Definitely this. I spend many hours a week in one I am not sure if it is feasible for your situation
15565.jpg

Yeah...when I watch Bruce do it, I am kind of amazed that he can do what he does.

The horseshoe idea that @Cape Byron suggested is a variation on the same approach....but I can see the advantage to the horseshoe vs. the bag of shot for the weight. But still, that's pretty high to sling whatever the weight is with any kind of accuracy.

*sigh*

@JC Hobbies : have a source for such a monkey? :)
The problem with the horseshoe is that it's straight up so be prepared to run.

Slingshot with kite string tied/glued to a rock……….???
I was wondering how big the rock needs to be? Small enough to reach the rocket but big enough to grab on to the shock cord.

Maybe next time put some catnip on the rocket, and bring a cat with you.

When the cat meanders up the tree to get the catnip and gets stuck in the tree and can’t get down, then you can make a call to the Fire Dept, and maybe they can grab the rocket at the same time they are making the cat rescue!

But then the Firemen might want to adopt the cat and take it back to their fire station, and name him Pickles…and give him his own fire hat…

Last edited:
Maybe next time put some catnip on the rocket, and bring a cat with you.

When the cat meanders up the tree to get the catnip and gets stuck in the tree and can’t get down, then you can make a call to the Fire Dept, and maybe they can grab the rocket at the same time they are making the cat rescue!

But then the Firemen might want to adopt the cat and take it back to their fire station, and name him Pickles…and give him his own fire hat…
Genius...

1660264825805.png

3) Dog wand to throw tennis ball with string. I got close several times. I just need it to snag onto the shock cord. Optimally, the ball will return to the ground so I can attach a thicker rope but not likely. We tried a bazooka like ball thrower; could only go about 25'.
you need one of these

Narrow recoveries during a variable wind day including Leviathan on a F20-4W

The winds were forecasted to be around 5mph and was hoping to launch the Leviathan a couple times. By 10am, the winds were gusting to 15mph. Throughout the morning, the winds were changing direction constantly. I had to be quick with each launch before the wind changed direction again. Also, there was a crew tearing out the bleachers or something in the gym which is what the crashing sounds were from. In addition, their tractor-trailer sideswiped someone's SUV so they were in the process of cutting off the bent fender with a circular saw.

To test the wind, I started with the repaired Scrambler after it lawndarted from a failed ejection. I canted a few degrees into the wind but wasn’t any at the time so landed between the buildings. Regardless, the Scrambler has earned it's paint. The Leviathan had a perfect flight. By then, a side gust of wind pushed it to the edge of the park between the tree and light pole. The Protostar also had a perfect flight except the AC cam shut off while on the pad.

Gary’s Mega Vortico had a weird deviation. We think it may have whipped on the rod but hard to tell. He then launched the Turbo on the short rod. It seemed to me like the delay was early, about 40ft off the ground. Christopher helped with setting up but then walked around collecting discarded bottlecaps with his large magnet. He made an agreement with the park staff that they'll get the big stuff and he'll get the small stuff.

0:00 Leviathan 618ft 6pts
1:52 Flight video
3:05 Scrambler 544ft 5pts
4:32 Gary's Silver Streak
4:53 Gary's Fat Jax
5:35 Gary's Big Bessie
6:11 Protostar 456ft 5pts
7:21 Gary's Mega Vortico
7:51 Patriot 300ft 5pts
8:53 Gary's Turbo Vortico
9:34 Total 21pts + 5 bonus = 26pts

Back