Updates...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I created a spreadsheet that creates the data with the altitude by calculating the slope from the time to apogee and time to landing. I tried using my lone survivor Flightsketch Mini but wouldn't turn on so battery's probably dead, hopefully. They've been selling Estes altimeters on eBay for $21 plus free shipping.
I figured it had to be something like that - an estimate in a spreadsheet. The Estes altimeter, if used respecting its quirks, does give good apogee readings.

It's usually just Gary and I so not a problem with the booster. Did you see how close the Savage booster landed next to Gary? Like four feet...

Yeah, but the Savage booster probably tumbled properly, so fell rather more slowly than the Mongoose one does. I'll go rewatch the video to confirm.
I suspect the G42 was old. Jake has a bunch of old Aerotech SU motors that I sorted through. Not sure if it was one of those. I gave him an old ammo can to store the others in, so hopefully they won't degrade more.

In any event, an ejection failure like that should be reported to motorcato.org.
I dropped by the LHS today to talk to the manager and pick up some gliders someone left for me. I told Joe about buying four of the DBRM from Amazon for $21 each. He hung his head (he has several for $54 each) and said he's thinking of getting rid of the toy merchandise and turning half the store into an event space. I told him if he does, I'll arrange a monthly rocket building event. If he adds a Mountain Dew vending machine, the high schoolers will hang out there all day.
:)
Now I'm wondering if I could insert a booster motor between the Twin Factor stages. Call it the Triplet Factor...
Fliskits makes a model along those lines called Trifecta. It's sort of a cross between the Twin Factor and the Frick-n-Frack, but three stages. https://www.fliskits.com/WPRESS/product/trifecta/

Memorial weekend on a cloudy humid Hawaiian day with guest rockets and overpressures

The winds were favorable on Sunday so headed out to the park with Gary and Roger on the holiday weekend. It was sprinkling just before we got to the park then stopped until later in the afternoon. The GoPro8 was dark under the overcast clouds, and the GoPro3 wasn't going to cooperate today. I placed the Handycam on Auto which still undersaturated the video but better than oversaturing like last week. My laptop is in the mail for a warranty repair so used my other laptop that only has 8Gb memory which causes dropped clips including the ESAM-58 flight video but still kept the screenshots.

I revitalized my remote launcher but attached it to 8xAA batteries. It stopped working previously with the 12v recharger so decided to give it a try with the AAs. When connected to the igniter, you can hear the controller buzzing. It worked every time except with a 1 second delay. For the Little Joe I, I used the 12v recharger with the Thomas controller. I was then having trouble getting continuity with subsequent rockets until I pulled the clip off the rusted wire. Time to solder new clips on.

@BABAR is planning to visit early June and mailed me a few of his unique rockets. They arrived with some damage but was able to fix the Mach Double Diamond. It performed its backsliding recovery until the NC started pulling it down. Very cool. A local, Garrett left me a box of Mini-dactyls to try out from the LHS. He's probably shaking his head in haughty derision that I didn't add clay to the gliders. Still looked great. I'll add the clay next time.

I was inspired to launch my Saturn 1B and Little Joe I after visiting Kennedy Space Center the other week. I was really lucky the Saturn 1B didn't end up in the tree like it did previously on a D12-3. I tried a D22W so it would fly straight like it did with the E20W but not as high. It arced over anyways (clay was fine). Gary brought out his cardstock Little Joe I, so I hastily brought out mine. I forgot that mine lawndarted on a B6-4. Gary's also lawndarted, so hopefully it can be repaired.

The Scissor-wing mostly worked this time. I tried to replace the pivot after it broke apart from last week's crash. The repairs mostly held causing the wing to be slightly canted. The glider could also be too nose heavy so need to take out some of the clay. I think it's earned it decals now. I was going to launch the Condor on a C6-3, but I accidentally super glued a rod into one of the gliders. It'll be ready for the next launch.

I tried CHAD staging the Twin Factor by taping another booster motor between the two stages. It mostly worked despite the first stage Cato. I had six of the A10-3T motors and all with the same lot number. I'll have to come up with something creative to do with the remaining four.

Gary has an unreliable box of Quest B4-4 motors that he wanted to try out on various plastic rockets. If they Cato, not much damage to the plastic. Unfortunately, three of them had overpressures and burned a hole through the side. If he can get the melted motors out, he'll patch them up. He hasn't figured out what he'll do with the remaining composite motors.

Last week, Roger tried out his 180 degree twist rockets. The problem is that they spun too fast and twisted the tubes. This time, he used 10 degree twists which worked fine. I'd like to see 180 degrees but with shorter fins so they don't spin so fast. Overall, a productive day with no lost rockets and everyone's fingers and toes intact.

00:00 Saturn 1B 6pts
01:31 Flight video
03:00 Little Joe I dual 5pts
04:01 Mongoose 5pts
05:16 BABAR's Mach Double Diamond 4pts
06:25 Scissor-wing 4pts
07:17 Triplet Factor 5pts
08:10 ESAM-58 5pts
09:02 Garrett's Mini-dactyl single 3pts
09:46 Garrett's Mini-dactyl double 4pts
11:01 Gary's Heatseeker
12:01 Gary's Red Rider
12:39 Roger's Twister 1
13:32 Roger's Twister 2
14:35 Gary's LGM boosted
15:31 Gary's Eliminator XL
16:54 Gary's Quinstar
17:23 Gary's Priority Cinco
18:05 Gary's rocket
18:36 Gary's Orange Scratcher
19:08 Gary's Sky Cruiser
20:00 Gary's Dark Zero
21:03 Gary's Orange Crush
21:18 Total 41pts + 10 bonus = 51pts

Live stream: https://youtu.be/QMkCZdLuZts

Launching with guest Tom on an awesome blue sky Hawaiian day

We welcomed our honored guest, Tom (@BABAR) to join Gary, RonL, and I in Hawaii. He mailed several of his rockets to us and packed one in his suitcase. They mostly survived; Gary and I fixed them. They're impressive helicopter recovery and back sliding rockets. He's leaving them behind, so we plan to try and launch them again at the next WCC launch.

There isn't much to watch on the live stream. It only captured one launch. I think I figured out what the problem is. I need to remember to delete photos to make room and turn off the VPN. I'm still having to use my backup laptop. I decided it can only handle processing around 10 minutes of video edits, so I have to render in two parts then render them together. The only problem is that it tends to push the second part captions ahead 1 second which isn't much of a big deal. Hopefully, I'll get my main laptop back soon.

The Big Daddy landed in the apartment parking lot. The problem was that I had to ask residents to let me into the secured lot and then let me back out of the secured lot. This has turned into a Frankenstein rocket with a blown out forward centering ring, one mangled fin, replaced body tube above the fins, and modified cone. With the replacement 8" Semroc tube, it's more like a Doorknob and needs a 29mm instead to keep it from leaving the park. If I launch it again, I'll have to get tracking dogs to hunt it down.

I needed to dispose of a pack of A10-0T so I CHAD staged them into the Twin Factor. My guess is that three of them Cato'd. It blew off the tube from the 1st stage, but this was already a replacement repair so easily fixed. It was a spectacular ending of a spectacular launch day in the park. I can only speculate what these Catos look like from the nearby apartments.

00:00 F-16 4pts
01:41 Tom's Green Helibomber
03:00 Ron's Mean Machine
03:40 Tom's Square Dancer
04:19 Gary's Tooboh
04:50 Tom's Devil's Triangle
05:58 Gary's MAV
06:24 Big Daddy 472ft 5pts
08:00 Tom's Go with the Flow
09:05 Ron's Falcon 9
10:01 Condor 4pts
11:10 Tom's Square Dancer
11:56 RonL finds the Dragon capsule
12:46 Gary's Laser Lance
14:08 Gary's TB-5
14:26 Gary's Two Cool for Spool
15:09 Tom preps the Mariposa
16:56 Quadruplet Factor 3pts
17:26 Total 16pts + 15 bonus = 31pts

Second day with Tom on a windy but sunny day with more successful heli rockets

Before heading to the airport, Gary and I met Tom and his wife to launch his heli rockets one more time. Despite the wind, they were more successful than before, except the Mach Double Diamond that was carried away by the wind. The live stream worked better this time. It did crap out once and the quality was 360p instead of 720p, but otherwise useful.

Gary tried out some of the bad Qjet B4-4. Strangely, they didn't Cato like before. Some previously had elongated delays, and he removed the ejection charge from the saucer rockets. He had a difficult time igniting several rockets including four that didn't work using both his Aerotech and Estes controllers. He did insert the igniters all the way. His Terraformer with the E30 was spectacular. The thrust was so great that it broke the plywood struts. Easy to fix with wood glue or epoxy.

I received a pack of A10-0T from Estes with a pack that has the same lot number that previously Cato'd. Estes said they don't have enough data on the lot so try it and see. I went through 3 burnt Startech starters before the Lunar Scout worked. I apologize to Garrett for losing two of his gliders. I should've used a 1/2A3 instead. Fortunately, he gave me material for making several more gliders. The C11 with the Scrambler was a complete fail of the motor ejection.

00:00 Gary's Delta Saucer
00:29 Gary's Hex-3
00:57 Tom's Mariposa
01:51 Gary's Moon-Glo
02:21 Wacky Wiggler 3pts
03:18 Tom's Green Helibomber
04:21 Scrambler 3pts
05:31 Gary's Mini Square in the Air
06:21 Tom's Mach Double Diamond
07:10 Gary's Moonraker
07:43 Tom's Devil's Triangle
08:43 Garret's Mini-dactyl double 3pts
09:31 Lunar Scout 3pts
10:08 Gary's Terraformer
10:46 Total 12pts + 10 bonus = 22pts

Second day with Tom on a windy but sunny day with more successful heli rockets

Before heading to the airport, Gary and I met Tom and his wife to launch his heli rockets one more time. Despite the wind, they were more successful than before, except the Mach Double Diamond that was carried away by the wind. The live stream worked better this time. It did crap out once and the quality was 360p instead of 720p, but otherwise useful.

Gary tried out some of the bad Qjet B4-4. Strangely, they didn't Cato like before. Some previously had elongated delays, and he removed the ejection charge from the saucer rockets. He had a difficult time igniting several rockets including four that didn't work using both his Aerotech and Estes controllers. He did insert the igniters all the way. His Terraformer with the E30 was spectacular. The thrust was so great that it broke the plywood struts. Easy to fix with wood glue or epoxy.

I received a pack of A10-0T from Estes with a pack that has the same lot number that previously Cato'd. Estes said they don't have enough data on the lot so try it and see. I went through 3 burnt Startech starters before the Lunar Scout worked. I apologize to Garrett for losing two of his gliders. I should've used a 1/2A3 instead. Fortunately, he gave me material for making several more gliders. The C11 with the Scrambler was a complete fail of the motor ejection.

00:00 Gary's Delta Saucer
00:29 Gary's Hex-3
00:57 Tom's Mariposa
01:51 Gary's Moon-Glo
02:21 Wacky Wiggler 3pts
03:18 Tom's Green Helibomber
04:21 Scrambler 3pts
05:31 Gary's Mini Square in the Air
06:21 Tom's Mach Double Diamond
07:10 Gary's Moonraker
07:43 Tom's Devil's Triangle
08:43 Garret's Mini-dactyl double 3pts
09:31 Lunar Scout 3pts
10:08 Gary's Terraformer
10:46 Total 12pts + 10 bonus = 22pts

I was watching the videos with Deborah, and they were so detailed we thought we were really there!........ oh wait.............
You guys were the best hosts ever.
Funniest part was between 5:00 and 5:30 on the video, the shot that includes the launchers and the peanut gallery. It's always good when the heads tilt quickly UP when the rocket launches....... No so good when the heads tilt back down REALLY FAST right AFTER the launch!

Small kine launches at Windward Community College on a windy day

Helen was in charge while Jake was on the mainland. The winds were 14mph, so mostly B motors except the Curvilinear and Quinstar. I realized afterwards that I left the Quinstar in the field. Hopefully it will inspire whomever found it. Frank used D motors because his rockets were heavy with thick tubing so worked great in the wind.

Gary was using up more of his Quest motors with the bad clay with expected results. The Sizzler was the rocket that spun on the launch pad previously and flew great this time. After about the fifth launch, the Firestreak SST cone came apart. Not sure if this is covered in Estes warranty. They are already sending me a Green Eggs rocket for the no ejection C11-3 so greatly appreciative for the customer service.

00:00 Intro
00:28 Atomic B6-4 4pts
01:21 Curvilinear C5-3 592ft 4pts
02:15 Frank's LOC Iris #1 D12-5
03:31 Gary's Spool #1 A10-0P
03:45 Gary's Spool #2 QB4-4
04:09 Quinstar C6-0 3pts
04:40 Frank's LOC Iris #2 D12-5
05:23 Gary's Semroc Aphelion QB4-4
06:15 Puma A10-3T 3pts
07:16 Frank Optima fins #3
07:39 Gary's Sizzler B6-4
08:10 Cadet B6-4 3pts
08:56 Gary's Totally Tubular QB4-4
09:08 Firestreak SST A10-3T 2pts
09:35 Frank Optima fins #4
09:58 Gary's Generic QB4-4
10:12 Gary's Priority Cinco E9-4
10:42 Total 19pts + 10 bonus = 29pts

Glen does such nice work with his cardstock models. They fly well, too....
Thanks! I am just running out of room in the house and not able to get out to launches often, so thought I would share them with someone who can.

Guest paper rockets from GlenP and the trifecta - Christopher, lawndart, and Cato!

A member of the Rocketry Forum, @GlenP/@Glen Doggett mailed me a box of excellent cardstock rockets. Gary and I are honored to be able to launch them. My son, Christopher had the day off, so he was able to provide commentary. I’m in Chicago the following week so it’s been interesting creating the video on the airplane and uploading the video at the hotel. I got a little confused with the Silver Streak so a bit out of order. I added the rocket info in the timeline so I can update it if needed when I get back.

The Spirit used the Quest C6-5 BP motor. When Quest says 5 second delay, they mean 5 seconds. Part of the mylar streamer was already ripped and shredded at ejection. The Vapor worked so well on the D12 that I had to try it again on E12 before the winds started. The stitching on the side of the nylon chute got caught on the swivel hook. I should put tape on the hooks but rarely happens. The DARC-1 seemed overpowered on the C5-3. I wanted to make sure it doesn't land in the pickleball court again. With the Screaming Eagle, I think Christopher was referring to a Bomb Pop. We went to go look for the Skywriter's cone but didn't see it.

00:43 Spirit QC6-5, 232ft 4pts
01:44 Gary’s USS Reliant, A3-4T w/adapter
03:08 Vapor D12-5, 491ft 5pts
05:26 Gary’s Silver Streak redux, 1/2A3-2T
06:08 Vapor E12-6, 975ft 5pts
08:36 Gary's Hi Flier, QJet B4-4
10:02 Gary's Extreme, Estes A8-3
10:34 DARC-1 C5-3, 4pts
12:16 Gary's Fat Jax, Estes 1/2A3-2T
12:50 Glen's Tiger Streak A10-0T-1/4A3-3T 4pts
14:04 Gary's Sky Duster, Estes 1/2A3-2T
14:38 Glen's SCRAM 1/2A3-2T 3pts
15:33 Glen's Groove Tube A10-0T-1/4A3-3T 4pts
16:34 Glen's Screaming Eagle 1/2A3-2T 3pts
17:27 Glen's Sting Ray A10-0T-1/4A3-3T 4pts
19:18 Gary's Skywriter, Estes A8-3
20:18 Glen's Star Seeker and Tiki rockets
20:41 Glen's Tiki 1/2A3-2T
21:06 Glen's Star Seeker 1/2A3-2T 3pts
21:40 Triplet Factor 3x A10-0T 4pts
22:35 Total 43pts + 5 bonus = 48pts

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/mini-tri-pak-0866.144893/

Nice to see all of those mini rockets get the chance to fly! Great video presentation of the day's flights. The Tiki rocket is a mini downscale inspired by the @Alan R rocket
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/oops-i-launched-my-tiki-drink.158767/I think I used a too-small launch lug and in the wrong spot that allowed some torque from the initial engine thrust kick and resulted in a rod-whip. It should have been stable in flight, but it was already rocking on the rod before the fins were even aerodynamically effective, maybe?

Yeah, the Screaming Eagle does kind of remind me of one of these:
Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 9.08.40 AM.png

This is that mini version, along with the original size clone in 18mm power Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 9.11.08 AM.pngand an upscale PSIIE2X Prowler kit bash in 29mm power. Happy 4th of July, everyone!

Last edited:
I think I used a too-small launch lug and in the wrong spot that allowed some torque from the initial engine thrust kick and resulted in a rod-whip. It should have been stable in flight, but it was already rocking on the rod before the fins were even aerodynamically effective, maybe?
The launch lug was a little large for a 1/8" rod. Maybe if I used a 3/16" rod it would have flown straighter, IDK.

Kites and some rockets on a windy day

To be clear, this was not going to be a successful day of rocketry and was more about going to the park to fly kites and launch some rockets. My intention was to launch six of the questionable Quest motors I have left in stock with dates before 10/21 when Quest changed the formulation of the clay. These motors have been breaking the clay nozzle causing erratic flights. The Quest Can has not been lucky so if I lost it, no big deal. The first flight on the QB4-4 had a lawndart with no damage. The second on a C12-4FJ went straight up and landed on the senior home building. I tried going there before to retrieve a rocket. The place smelled like death and urine (seriously gross), so it's a gonner. The Ghost Chaser is just like the Astrocam rocket and bends at the fin can. I put an outside coupler to fix it. I plan to fly it at night with a glow stick in the payload.

00:38 Quest Can QB4-4 3pts
02:27 Quest Can C12-4FJ 3pts
03:26 Ghost Chaser A8-3 4pts
05:07 Mini Honest John A10-3T 3pts
06:41 Ghost Chase B6-4 4pts
08:05 Total 17pts

Big Daddy/Leviathan kit from Launch Labs. I tried to repurpose my BD but too much epoxy to cut through. I bought a new BD on Amazon for $23 and used it as a template for the two Semroc tubes I bought to fix the old BD. Hopefully the CWF won’t crack. I used vinyl tape for the striping. Now if the winds would only die down…

0EA898C2-98E5-45BA-ACD5-8992E9A290B6.jpeg

More trade wind launches in the park with altimeters and an AC cam

We had two tropical storms go by us this past week. One went to the south of us causing huge on shore waves that caused traffic problems along the beach highways. The WCC launch was also canceled yesterday. Fortunately, it's not canceled because of wiping out the solar panel last June.

After returning from our trip, I misplaced the handycam in the house. The problems with using the phone cam are the finger over the lens and the difficulty with zooming while tracking the rocket. The color was very washed out so had to increase the saturation. I decided to give 4 points (plus cam) to the Flutter-by since it does come apart and can be easily lost.

0:00 Intro
0:15 AGM/XAM 221ft 5pts
1:03 XF-45 4pts
2:12 Drone Killer 256ft 5pts
3:04 Flutter-by B6-4 4pts
4:05 Flutter-by A8-3 5pts
4:45 Flight video
5:30 Vortico chuffing
6:00 Vortico 3pts
6:37 Screaming Eagle 3pts
7:06 Total 29pts

I think I used a too-small launch lug and in the wrong spot that allowed some torque from the initial engine thrust kick and resulted in a rod-whip. It should have been stable in flight, but it was already rocking on the rod before the fins were even aerodynamically effective, maybe?
been away too long sorry I missed this. Did the nose weight get added to that mini version? That would be my first thought.

been away too long sorry I missed this. Did the nose weight get added to that mini version? That would be my first thought.
Yes it has some nose clay. Latest update, they added a longer lug and it flew fine, but got stuck in a tree! See the latest video on the YouTube channel.

Several simultaneous launches in the evening at the park near Pearl Harbor

Christopher and I started the day at Hobby Co in Aiea where they had their monthly mini racer event. Joe gave us a Bandit kit to build while the racers set up. Later in the day, we launched rockets with Joe and others at the nearby park. Unfortunately, we lost the Tiki and two of the Bandits. My apologies to @GlenP for losing the Tiki. I extended the launch lug which worked great but wrapped itself around a branch. I might be able to retrieve it with my new extendable pole (if it doesn't rain).

0:00 Intro
0:28 Mini Mean Machine
0:38 Phoenix Bird
0:57 Humdinger A10-3T 3pts
1:34 HiJinks
2:19 Gyroc C6-3 4pts
3:40 MMM and Flash
4:34 Chiller C6-5 535ft
5:37 Patriot/Pheonix Bird/Bandit 276ft
7:16 Rascal
8:03 Flash 230ft
8:35 Cadet B6-4 4pts
9:28 Phoenix Bird
10:50 HiJinks C6-5 738ft
11:29 Box Racer B4-2 4pts
12:17 Tiki 2pts
12:34 Flash 550ft
13:24 Phoenix Bird
14:02 SCRAM 1/2A3-2T 3pts
14:40 Vortigo C6-7/Bandit 3pts
15:49 Total 23pts + 15 bonus = 38pts

Last edited:
No worries, that is easy enough to print another one. Looks like a great day and evening for launching rockets. I like that Phoenix Bird, very majestic in the air.

That S.C.R.A.M. really does exactly that! I have been thinking about doing a kit bash of that one but in the style of a Pigasus in the same military colors and call it the A.M.S.C.R.A.Y.

Back