Updates...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mild wind day with the crew and another HPD officer checking us out

Launching with Gary, Mike, and Christopher. Someone called HPD to report we're shooting fireworks in the park again. This time, the officer didn't want to be filmed. He almost was able to launch a rocket but it misfired and then he was called away. Perhaps I should call the Police to tell them when we're launching so they can plan their day.

The weather was promising to be between 1 to 3 mph wind but ended up more like 5 to 7 mph based on my weather station. That's fine for D motors. I was hoping more for bigger motors. I finally received my order from Quest. It took them a week to get the order out of the warehouse and two weeks by boat. I'm all set now for the big launch day on 11/27 where we get to use the large agriculture fields. Now if the FAA would only answer their phone...

I also ordered a Quest MicroMaxx RTF kit, and Gary lent me the motors. He launched six Fliskit saucer rockets, three are minis and three are micros. I thought they were the same rocket until I realized they were slightly different sizes. The Viking finally decided to go on an adventure after it's 8th launch. I have four more in the pack to build and still have the 2-cluster Viking. Ironically, my MX Tomahawk Cruise Missile went straight up and down while Mike's Comanche-3 went cruise missile after the first stage. It probably landed somewhere in Pearl City.

The DARC-1 flew straight again on the C5-3. I used a smaller 9" chute this time so it doesn't get stuck like last time. I'm curious now what it'll do on a Quest B6-4 or C12-4. For the Super Mars Snooper, I realize now it was a mistake to include the baffle and limit the available space for an altimeter. However, I should be able to cut away a portion of the transition and stuff the altimeter inside. I expected that one of the pods would pop off. It's not easy because half the pod is cardboard and the other half plastic. Epoxy might be a better alternative. The camera audio doesn't do justice to how loud the E20W and crackly the C18W were. The local youths were entertained.

I used the smaller Quest initiator on the E20W which didn't light but was spectacular on the bigger Aerotech initiator. The altimeter failed with the CI rocket. I think this is the first time I used this altimeter because my usual one is still stuck on the WCC roof. I've been making a habit of arming the altimeters twice to ensure the previous data was erased. This is something entirely different. The same altimeter worked fine with the Xarconian Cruiser. I regret not using the second AC cam on the XC rocket. With the Mega Vortico, there was no damage to the grass, but the clothes pin didn't make it.

00:00 HPD officer +5 bonus pts
00:54 Cleaning up trash in the park
01:05 Mike's DRM
01:36 Mike's Patriot
02:12 Gary's fleet of Fliskits
02:31 Viking 2pts
03:47 Mike's Comanche-3
04:23 Gary's MX Fliskit
04:30 Gary showing how to set up MX
06:37 MX Tomahawk Cruise Missile 3pts
07:01 MX NASA Blackbird 2pts
07:12 DARC-1 4pts
08:01 Gary's Mini Fliskit
08:14 Super Mars Snooper 4pts
10:08 Mike's Starship
10:43 Cosmic Interceptor 6pts
12:16 Xarconian Cruiser 5pts
13:19 Mega Vortico 1pt
14:16 Total 27pts + 15 bonus = 42pts

Nice flights, especially Snooper and Cosmic Interceptor.

got a good laugh on the Vortico. Any damage to the ground camera?

as I recall, @Daddyisabar actually DID a flying launch rod.
IMG_20170604_135700182.jpg
The four slider motors needed a little cant to avoid scorching the fins but still flew ok for an oddroc.

Last edited:
The spray paint ship arrived and Walmart was fully stocked. Picked up a couple high gloss paints.

Newest rockets are an 18mm Hi-flier, ASP V-2, and Apogee’s Green Vortex.

View attachment 429063
I love my Vortex. It is VERY draggy, though, so don't fly it with C motors. I've had the best flights on D20W-6 Quest composites. Also make sure you have good fillets on all fins connections. I've had to do repairs after 4 of 6 flights.

I love my Vortex. It is VERY draggy, though, so don't fly it with C motors. I've had the best flights on D20W-6 Quest composites. Also make sure you have good fillets on all fins connections. I've had to do repairs after 4 of 6 flights.

It has flown on a B6-4. However after several flights, it now lawndarts on a B (but that was with a FS altimeter). I haven't tried it yet on a composite so that will definitely be in its future.

It has flown on a B6-4. However after several flights, it now lawndarts on a B (but that was with a FS altimeter). I haven't tried it yet on a composite so that will definitely be in its future.

My first flight was on a C5-3, assuming it needed the extra kick over a C6-3. It went up 100', went sideways due to weather cocking after the initial kick petered out, landed on the ground and ejected. Soft field, no damage, but nothing below a D after that.

Looks like the DARC has a bit of dirty rod issue as well. Some rockets may be better for display than the rigors of flight. The orbital transport comes to minds. Looks like the Super Mars Snooper might be as well.

You do a great job with your videos. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to the next one.

Looks like the DARC has a bit of dirty rod issue as well. Some rockets may be better for display than the rigors of flight. The orbital transport comes to minds. Looks like the Super Mars Snooper might be as well.

You do a great job with your videos. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to the next one.

Thanks. For me, there's three parts to the hobby: building, launching, and filming. I try to do each to the full 80%. Anything else is gravy.

I have had one excellent flight on the OT. The Estes Shuttle on the other hand... Mike was about to launch his last time. I told him a D12 will keep it in the park but an E12 will make it go cruise missile into the canal. I told him a composite would be best and offered him an E20 but he said he'll think about it more.

Mild wind day with the crew and another HPD officer checking us out

Launching with Gary, Mike, and Christopher. Someone called HPD to report we're shooting fireworks in the park again. This time, the officer didn't want to be filmed. He almost was able to launch a rocket but it misfired and then he was called away. Perhaps I should call the Police to tell them when we're launching so they can plan their day.

The weather was promising to be between 1 to 3 mph wind but ended up more like 5 to 7 mph based on my weather station. That's fine for D motors. I was hoping more for bigger motors. I finally received my order from Quest. It took them a week to get the order out of the warehouse and two weeks by boat. I'm all set now for the big launch day on 11/27 where we get to use the large agriculture fields. Now if the FAA would only answer their phone...

I also ordered a Quest MicroMaxx RTF kit, and Gary lent me the motors. He launched six Fliskit saucer rockets, three are minis and three are micros. I thought they were the same rocket until I realized they were slightly different sizes. The Viking finally decided to go on an adventure after it's 8th launch. I have four more in the pack to build and still have the 2-cluster Viking. Ironically, my MX Tomahawk Cruise Missile went straight up and down while Mike's Comanche-3 went cruise missile after the first stage. It probably landed somewhere in Pearl City.

The DARC-1 flew straight again on the C5-3. I used a smaller 9" chute this time so it doesn't get stuck like last time. I'm curious now what it'll do on a Quest B6-4 or C12-4. For the Super Mars Snooper, I realize now it was a mistake to include the baffle and limit the available space for an altimeter. However, I should be able to cut away a portion of the transition and stuff the altimeter inside. I expected that one of the pods would pop off. It's not easy because half the pod is cardboard and the other half plastic. Epoxy might be a better alternative. The camera audio doesn't do justice to how loud the E20W and crackly the C18W were. The local youths were entertained.

I used the smaller Quest initiator on the E20W which didn't light but was spectacular on the bigger Aerotech initiator. The altimeter failed with the CI rocket. I think this is the first time I used this altimeter because my usual one is still stuck on the WCC roof. I've been making a habit of arming the altimeters twice to ensure the previous data was erased. This is something entirely different. The same altimeter worked fine with the Xarconian Cruiser. I regret not using the second AC cam on the XC rocket. With the Mega Vortico, there was no damage to the grass, but the clothes pin didn't make it.

00:00 HPD officer +5 bonus pts
00:54 Cleaning up trash in the park
01:05 Mike's DRM
01:36 Mike's Patriot
02:12 Gary's fleet of Fliskits
02:31 Viking 2pts
03:47 Mike's Comanche-3
04:23 Gary's MX Fliskit
04:30 Gary showing how to set up MX
06:37 MX Tomahawk Cruise Missile 3pts
07:01 MX NASA Blackbird 2pts
07:12 DARC-1 4pts
08:01 Gary's Mini Fliskit
08:14 Super Mars Snooper 4pts
10:08 Mike's Starship
10:43 Cosmic Interceptor 6pts
12:16 Xarconian Cruiser 5pts
13:19 Mega Vortico 1pt
14:16 Total 27pts + 15 bonus = 42pts

I think the bad data on the first Flightsketch was from a low battery. It's a miracle it worked the second time. What's weird is that I think this was the first time I've used the altimeter. When I turned it on today, the voltage was 2.3v to 2.5v. I replaced it with the knockoff batteries I ordered on eBay. I did previously upgrade it to version 29.

I have had one excellent flight on the OT
As have I. The glider flew perfectly. I have always been frustrated by trying to trim gliders, but that day, both the Gyrphon and the OT flew flawlessly. It's nice to have a great day.

I may have learned from your posts (?) that a C6-5 works better than a C6-3 in the OT. Thanks to whoever anyway.

IMO, the OT is also particularly subject to hanger rash. Luke the Mars Snooper, it has delicate parts that stick out. I guess that's a price we pay for beauty

As have I. The glider flew perfectly. I have always been frustrated by trying to trim gliders, but that day, both the Gyrphon and the OT flew flawlessly. It's nice to have a great day.

I may have learned from your posts (?) that a C6-5 works better than a C6-3 in the OT. Thanks to whoever anyway.

IMO, the OT is also particularly subject to hanger rash. Luke the Mars Snooper, it has delicate parts that stick out. I guess that's a price we pay for beauty
I tried it with a C18-6W once but the composite is too fast and didn't release the glider.

MPR ready, mostly. I'm planning to launch these at our Thanksgiving big event on 11/27 if all goes according to plan.

NCR Bounty Hunter. I have a F67 which should go to 700ft. I could easily launch it in the park but want to wait for the bigger field. The instructions say a F15 will work but the rod velocity is 25ft/s so worried it will lawndart. I can try an E30 this weekend which will give me 45ft/s off the rod and 274ft. No JLCR needed for that. Hopefully it won't kill any cows.

The decal stickers are weird. The large decals are clear and the rest have white background. Requires detailed scissor action. I think it's a bargain at $60.

175E7B33-3E7A-4E33-97D6-1E7A7CCF4EE4.jpeg

Scratch Tubular: Made from spare parts including the baffle. Should go 1000ft on a F15.

1F695F2E-12E6-4DA9-8B50-A3DA3C9FBAAB.jpeg

Last edited:
I think the bad data on the first Flightsketch was from a low battery. It's a miracle it worked the second time. What's weird is that I think this was the first time I've used the altimeter. When I turned it on today, the voltage was 2.3v to 2.5v. I replaced it with the knockoff batteries I ordered on eBay. I did previously upgrade it to version 29.
I've killed a number of batteries in my FlightSketch. I thought I had it turned off but it wasn't. So now I have my phone connected to it when I turn it off and when my phone tells my it has lost signal I know it's off.

I agree. Did the landing bounce knock the glider off? Do you think the delay was too short? If the glider was stuck, I wonder how that could be fixed. I liked the boost performance.
I think the glider got jammed into the holder, but I'm not brave enough to try it again. I did find out today the D22W is overpowered for the Super Mars Snooper.

Several close call recoveries on a cloudless Hawaiian morning with the crew

The winds were extremely lite for the Halloween weekend, so launched rockets on Saturday and Sunday. I was going to combine the two days but too much content for one video so made separate videos. I was joined with Gary, Mike, RonL, and Christopher. The video is not in chronological order to make it easier to edit my rockets. I only launched five rockets but most were epic. RonL's video of the day can be found at https://youtu.be/2i8ZZgts_N4.

The E20-4W in the Saturn 1B was extremely powerful and loud. I think it startled all of us. The main rocket almost landed in the same tree that it landed in last time. I was lucky to get the capsule back. I thought I would have to ask the grandmother again to retrieve it from the roof. We added orange chalk to the Ion Pulsar for Halloween.

With the AMRAAM, I tilted it a bit too much into what I thought was the wind. Fortunately, it landed in the court before the pickleballers showed up. If the chute hadn't got tangled, it might have landed on the same roof as last time. The D20W in the Xarconian Cruiser had several dramatic chuffs. In the video, it looked like it diverted, either because it was overpowered or the clay gave way from the chuffing. Hard to tell. As you can see in the flight video, there were many hazards it could land on or in.

It looked like the D22W was overpowered for the Super Mars Snooper. Another nacelle broke off with the hard landing in the parking lot. I know it didn't land on a car because the nacelle was right next to the rocket. After launching, I quickly packed up to retrieve the rocket since it was on the other side of the canal. By the time I got back, Gary and Ron were packing up. I realized that adding the baffle limited the space for the altimeter, so I cut open the shoulder and supported the plastic with epoxy putty. Seemed to work. The holes in the chute were preinstalled.

00:00 Intro
00:22 Saturn 1B 5pts
02:31 Ion Pulsar 4pts
03:28 AMRAAM 5pts
04:43 Flight video
05:44 Xarconian Cruiser 394ft 6pts
06:55 Flight video
08:16 Super Mars Snooper 354ft 6pts
09:21 Flight video
10:44 Gary's Art Applewhite Six
11:16 Mike's DRM
11:37 Mike's Mean Machine
12:11 Mike's Patriot Missile
12:42 Ron's Goblin
13:14 Mike's Starship
13:34 Gary's X-2 Invader
14:16 Ron's Mean Machine
14:37 Ron's Tomahawk D-Region C11-3
14:51 Gary's Hyper Bat 2-stage
15:33 Ron's Astrocam
15:50 Gary's Viper
16:23 Ron's Icarus
16:38 Gary's Sonda IIB
16:58 Ron's Icarus 388ft
17:29 Gary's Goblin
18:00 Ron's Boost Glider
18:59 Total 26pts + 10 bonus = 36pts

Very nice as usual. AMRAAM might need to dial back delay from 6 to 4 seconds, if possible.
Indeed, it worked fine once on a D12-5. I was perhaps overly ambitious on the E12.

I was skeptical of the claim that the Super Mars Snooper was overpowered by the D22 until I watched the in-flight video and saw the fins flex. Definitely gives me some food for thought.

Bill had originally contemplated if the rocket should be 18 or 24mm. I think the BP works better than the composites.

Ron L's Condor flight was awesome. I think I'm going to re-trim mine and launch on a B next time. Maybe a drag race and see who's touches down last?

My video didn't do @ronklogan's glider justice in showing how graceful it was. The lack of wind and thick air also helped keeping it afloat. At one point, it looked like it was going up.

The newer ones have a timer. Maybe this one doesn't...
I bought one of the early ones. When I contacted FlightSketch about the problem he got right back to me and sent me a new one & I sent mine back to them so he could trouble shoot the problem.

I think the one he sent me has the timer. :clapping:

Back