Updates...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, light wind in morning but steady through sunset. The main problem was humidity with the water evaporating off the grassy field. The sweat was dripping into my eyes when I looked up.

The winds were very light this morning with several rockets returning near the launch. However, it was very humid, probably because the recent rain water was actively evaporating off the grassy field. Fortunately, it wasn't too muddy. The main problem was when sweat from my forehead dripped into my eyes when I looked up. I'll remember to always bring my sweat band for underneath my hat.

Started with testing the assembled Shuttle glider. I'm not sure if the clay needs to be added to the tail. I don't want the glider to go into the canal.

This was my first attempt at an egg launcher, which of course failed. The instructions recommend B6-2, B6-4, C5-3, C6-3, C6-5. So this being my first launch, I went with the B6-4. Next time, I'll try the C5-3 instead.

I'm not sure what happened to the phone video of the Mini Comanche-2. I guess the humidity was getting to me. I also lost the flight video to the Mercury Redstone so will try that one again, again.

I have four SD cards to switch between the rockets in case I lose the video camera. It appears I tried to insert an unformatted card into the camera after the Redstone. This may have been my issue last time also. I was gonna try it with the Mars Longship and Protostar, but I wanted to use the SQ11 and the humidity was kicking my butt so holding off on those until next time.

The flight video for the LEO was very stable. The rocket takes up little more than half of the screen but it's fun to look at. That's why I'm hoping to get a good side video of the Mercury Redstone. Despite what I said in the video, the Redstone was half the altitude as before, which I suspect was erroneous before.

Timeline:
00:00 Testing the Shuttle glider
00:34 Elite Egg Lofter
01:38 Mini Comanche-2
02:03 Gyroc
02:42 LEO
03:43 Flight video
04:12 Mercury Redstone 198ft
05:09 V2 295ft
06:27 Flight video
07:13 Honest John 361ft
08:16 Flight video

Questions:
Why do 2 stage rockets have a long delay on the 2nd stage?

In my video above, does the Shuttle look like it's balanced for flight, or do I need to add the clay to the aft?

The Saturn V Skylab and 1B are listed as Master level. Will they be preassembled?

In my video above, does the Shuttle look like it's balanced for flight, or do I need to add the clay to the aft?
Looks Ok. Not nose diving or stalling.
The Saturn V Skylab and 1B are listed as Master level. Will they be preassembled?
No, pre-assembled would be RTF (Ready to Fly) or E2X (Easy to Assemble).
Master level would translate to challenging.
Make that very challenging.

No, pre-assembled would be RTF (Ready to Fly) or E2X (Easy to Assemble).
Master level would translate to challenging.
Make that very challenging.
I reviewed the Manufacturer's Forum and realized I got confused with the SLS which is a RTF. Bill promised the Saturns to be released in December, and we'll have lots of choices for us to spend our money for presents.

The winds were very light this morning with several rockets returning near the launch. However, it was very humid, probably because the recent rain water was actively evaporating off the grassy field. Fortunately, it wasn't too muddy. The main problem was when sweat from my forehead dripped into my eyes when I looked up. I'll remember to always bring my sweat band for underneath my hat.

Started with testing the assembled Shuttle glider. I'm not sure if the clay needs to be added to the tail. I don't want the glider to go into the canal.

This was my first attempt at an egg launcher, which of course failed. The instructions recommend B6-2, B6-4, C5-3, C6-3, C6-5. So this being my first launch, I went with the B6-4. Next time, I'll try the C5-3 instead.

I'm not sure what happened to the phone video of the Mini Comanche-2. I guess the humidity was getting to me. I also lost the flight video to the Mercury Redstone so will try that one again, again.

I have four SD cards to switch between the rockets in case I lose the video camera. It appears I tried to insert an unformatted card into the camera after the Redstone. This may have been my issue last time also. I was gonna try it with the Mars Longship and Protostar, but I wanted to use the SQ11 and the humidity was kicking my butt so holding off on those until next time.

The flight video for the LEO was very stable. The rocket takes up little more than half of the screen but it's fun to look at. That's why I'm hoping to get a good side video of the Mercury Redstone. Despite what I said in the video, the Redstone was half the altitude as before, which I suspect was erroneous before.

Timeline:
00:00 Testing the Shuttle glider
00:34 Elite Egg Lofter
01:38 Mini Comanche-2
02:03 Gyroc
02:42 LEO
03:43 Flight video
04:12 Mercury Redstone 198ft
05:09 V2 295ft
06:27 Flight video
07:13 Honest John 361ft
08:16 Flight video

First, for those who are watching your vids, I made a discovery that probably most other forum members being smarter than me already know. YouTube has multiple playback resolutions! For reasons I don’t understand, my system (at least on the IPad, which is what I mostly use for watching) defaults to 360p. I have enjoyed your videos at that resolution, but when I checked setting and changed it it 720—WOW! Things just popped. So anyone watching these that DOESN’T already know this, check the settings on the playback window. On the bad side, your sweat stained back is much more obvious at 720p......

Second, I guess you know this but you are still launching the Gyroc wrong, the rotors are supposed to be held neutral/parallel to fins on the upward journey. It still works the way you do it, but it will go a lot higher and given it comes down pretty fast anyway (not exactly a very efficient helicopter rocket) it likely will still be easily recoverable in your park size field.

Third, I think God was looking out for you with the late chute deployment on the Mercury, had it deployed fully at apogee I think it would have ended up on the roof!

Fourth, please keep these montage videos coming. I am sure they are a lot of work, but they are great fun to watch, and Hawaii is beautiful even on an IPad!

Thanks

I appreciate it. Yes, it was very humid that day, and it was kicking my butt. Hopefully Sunday morning won’t be that bad.

I switched to 1080p/60 fps. Now I’m trying to figure out why the previous video appears smoother than this video. The Falcon 9 was especially smooth, and I’m trying to figure out why and how.

Some rockets are “lucky” and return to me. Others decide to go on an adventure. The MR is very lucky and has had several close calls.

The Tazz has a plastic ring with the tabs to keep the fins straight. I might glue some on the Gyroc clones MM. When I finally decided to launch the Tazz with the fins straight, it decided to go on an adventure so for now, I’m okay with it spinning.

The original had the motor spit out the back so the tabs were attached to the fin. The updated model has a recovered MM with streamer so don’t have to worry about finding the ejected motor. I’ll have to think about it more...

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/estes-astron-gyroc-k-24-or-1224-gallery.19885/

Last edited:
I don't know..too much a "kiddie" rocket.
Actually, it's a bit more challenging than some of the rockets geared for younger kids. The tail cone on the booster is made up of two paper transitions, which can be challenging.
The Hyper Bat is a great flier and if done in a Batman motif, a good looker too.

I didn’t realize there was a maximum age.
No...it is just the Estes manufactures a lot of Rockets to get Kids into the Hobby.....but hey you like it, so go ahead...I just had to stick my 2 cents in...sorry. and the extra work of finishing those fins (incl cutting)...I just discarded the kit in my mind.......but hey I like the Alien Probe which also was a kiddie ..until he like a tree better than mother earth.

Had a blast at a new park (for me) with my son and Kurinin. The Kamehameha Community Park is slightly smaller than the usual park we go to, so launching mostly B's and C's for the heavier rockets. Kurinin launched minis and micros. I didn't catch the names of some of his rockets.

If the wind is too high, then the rocket could end up on the interstate highway but if they were worried about that, they wouldn't have built the large baseball diamond facing the busy traffic.

The egg lofter failed again with the C5-3 because the parachute didn't deploy. Kurinin suggested inserting the chute straight without bending. Not sure why I didn't think of that...

I reset my iPhone to factory which seems to somewhat fix the transfer issue. I lost a couple videos in the transfer. The flight video for the Mercury Redstone sorta worked. It plays in VLC but won't add to the video renderer. I was able to capture the video from the screen which was very choppy and the audio didn't sync but it's better than nothing.

The Gyroc worked well with the C6-5. I forgot to indicate that in the video. The Indicator had a Cato with the A10-3T. No damage to the rocket but time to send an email to Estes to get a free pack. It helps to have a video of the event. I forgot the tiki umbrellas for the GoPro8 so taped a leaf over it which you can see halfway through.

On the SWAT, you can see where my cockatiel chewed through the floor gloss, paint, superglue, and balsa. I repaired it with wood filler. The Mini "A" Heli mostly worked. One of the blades collapsed. I think it was from a hinge repair I made after the last flight.

The Mercury Redstone once again shows its luck by missing the trees. I ordered the capsule and fin can for a BT-80 version, so hopefully the luck will transfer.

Timeline:
00:00 MX Blue Bird Zero
00:21 Elite Egg Lofter
00:41 Kurinin
00:52 Indicator
02:17 MX Cherokee
02:45 Tarmon
03:06 MX Mars Lander
03:31 Gyroc C6-5
04:21 Kurinin
04:36 Green Vortex
05:16 MX Goblin
05:48 SWAT
06:35 Mini "A" Heli
07:34 Mercury Redstone 209ft
08:19 Flight video

Had a blast at a new park (for me) with my son and Kurinin. The Kamehameha Community Park is slightly smaller than the usual park we go to, so launching mostly B's and C's for the heavier rockets. Kurinin launched minis and micros. I didn't catch the names of some of his rockets.

If the wind is too high, then the rocket could end up on the interstate highway but if they were worried about that, they wouldn't have built the large baseball diamond facing the busy traffic.

-snip!-.

Hawaii has an interstate highway?

Who knew! ;)

Hawaii has an interstate highway?

Who knew! ;)
“decision to designate Interstate routes in Hawaii may become clearer by adding that the Interstate System is more than just a series of connected highways. It is also a design concept, with highways designed to handle high volumes of traffic safely and efficiently at freeway speeds. Moreover, the Interstate System is not limited to routes passing through two or more States. Many Interstates, such as circumferentials/beltways and spurs, are confined to one State.”

From the Federal HighWay Administration

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/hawaii.cfm

It's only a problem when the winds are strong from the northeast which is where most of the trade winds come from. Just before the Redstone launch, the winds shifted from the south (tropical Kona winds) which almost pushed the rocket into the trees but it prevailed.

1604361861118.png

Last edited:
Dude you are cranking them out. How many rockets have you built this year?
I count 57 plus the 7 or so that I lost. Lately, about half are kits and half are clones.

There has been an increasing skill improvement over the months, especially when I find a good tip or two on the forum. At some point, I need to start putting them in a box. I have been thinking of donating some of the lesser ones to a local school (when they fully open).

So let's see, compared to my output that is... (calculating... carry the one... take square root... arctangent...) a whole lot more. And they're not all simple builds or easy paint jobs, either. Sounds like you're trying to challenge @kuririn's title as most prolific builder on the island. :) We should organize some sort of competition. :)

I foresee donating some of my built rockets in the future as well. Dunno how I'm going to eventually part with my scratchbuilds though.

I foresee donating some of my built rockets in the future as well. Dunno how I'm going to eventually part with my scratchbuilds though.
I figure by closing my eyes, looking away, and handing the box over to the teacher. At least in theory...

Seriously, I foresee having a launch party at the school and giving away rockets to the kids after launching them. This seems more efficient than having my rockets float away into someone's backyard.

What mainly happens is that I have a 2019 and 2020 Estes catalogs in my bathroom. While browsing through, I think to myself "I can build that". 50+ rockets later...

Back