Updates...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I increased the iPhone video capture to 4k/60. It took 6 hours to download the videos to my computer.
!!!!
How did you have the phone and computer connected, and what vintage of PC is it?

Just curious, have you tried editing the video in the phone?

For what it's worth, I thought the video especially good this time, very sharp all the way up (almost) to apogee, despite the fact that I'm viewing on a 1080p screen. I think the cloud background helped.

Is there a reason for the "p" in there? Also, you had the fins positioned for spin on the way up, rather than held straight until ejection... was that intentional? It clearly limited your altitude quite a bit on that flight.

Also, you had the fins positioned for spin on the way up, rather than held straight until ejection... was that intentional? It clearly limited your altitude quite a bit on that flight.

Neil, in post 145 he showed off his Gyroc with the comment "My Astron Gyroc clone to replace the lost Tazz. I’m gonna forgo the MM tabs for now. I found the Tazz to be more stable going up without them. Maybe I’ll put them on later."

I've never built one nor seen the plans, are the "MM tabs" that he referenced actuating levers that engage the fins for surface deflection?

r/
Dave

Neil, in post 145 he showed off his Gyroc with the comment "My Astron Gyroc clone to replace the lost Tazz. I’m gonna forgo the MM tabs for now. I found the Tazz to be more stable going up without them. Maybe I’ll put them on later."

I've never built one nor seen the plans, are the "MM tabs" that he referenced actuating levers that engage the fins for surface deflection?
Ah, good catch. Yes, the MM tabs hold the flaps straight on ascent.

Certainly, it's stable as heck when spinning on ascent, but it sharply curtails altitude. Consider that full spin mode is designed to be draggy enough to work as a recovery mechanism. In the video, the rocket barely had time to reorient and start spinning on the way down.

Obviously it's @rklapp 's choice as to how to fly it, it works either way.

Could be interesting to modify the design a bit so that the MM tabs hold the flaps *slightly* canted, so it'll spin just enough on the way up for stability, and then full spin on the way down for recovery. I haven't built one, so I don't know what that would entail.

Could be interesting to modify the design a bit so that the MM tabs hold the flaps *slightly* canted, so it'll spin just enough on the way up for stability, and then full spin on the way down for recovery.

Hmmm... I also engage in target archery using a recurve bow, not a compound. One of the most popular/winning fletchings for target arrows are called 'spin wings'. They are composed of thin mylar with a built in curve:

spin wings.jpg

Not sure what is required to get mylar to 'take a set', but perhaps mylar used as a hinge, prebent to maximum deflection, would straighten somewhat upon launch (still a bit of surface deflection for stability), then resume the inherent curve at apogee for full spin recovery.

Sorry to derail rklapps launch thread with a 'building techniques' chat...

r/
Dave

Will we celebrate Hoppy’s Night every year going forward?
Yes, except for the centipedes. I'll be smashing them with my foot afterwards.

1603490517953.png

neil_w said:
Ah, good catch. Yes, the MM tabs hold the flaps straight on ascent.

Certainly, it's stable as heck when spinning on ascent, but it sharply curtails altitude. Consider that full spin mode is designed to be draggy enough to work as a recovery mechanism. In the video, the rocket barely had time to reorient and start spinning on the way down.

Obviously it's @rklapp 's choice as to how to fly it, it works either way.

Could be interesting to modify the design a bit so that the MM tabs hold the flaps *slightly* canted, so it'll spin just enough on the way up for stability, and then full spin on the way down for recovery. I haven't built one, so I don't know what that would entail.
I'm not sure why I put the p in the Gyroc. I guess I saw it somewhere and got confused. I appreciate that people pay attention to the details.

The Tazz has a plastic ring with tabs attached to rear ejection MM. This keeps the fins straight until the MM is ejected allowing the fins to bend up with the rubber bands. I actually forgot about the Tazz tabs and launched many times with them in the bent position. When I eventually launched with a C6 and fins straight, the rocket decided to go on an adventure. Just gives me a reason to build a new one...

I'm having an issue with my iPhone. It disconnects when I try to download the videos through the cable. Instead, I have to upload to my OneDrive account and only have 10mbps upload speed. Maybe I'll try a complete reset of the phone...

Attachments

• k-24.pdf
    300.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I don't think I'll try 4k capturing again and just stick with 1080p/60.

Very nice video! That's a lot of editing work to get those different perspectives stitched together. I especially liked the insect in the SuperNova, I've got one of those ready to go. I agree, I liked the 60 fps, but I don't think that there is much point in video resolution beyond 1080.

Very nice video! That's a lot of editing work to get those different perspectives stitched together. I especially liked the insect in the SuperNova, I've got one of those ready to go. I agree, I liked the 60 fps, but I don't think that there is much point in video resolution beyond 1080.
I was hesitant to add the ground camera because it was just more videos to keep track of. I decided it was worth it. Overall, the 60fps seems to be beneficial but not the 1440 (2k) resolution. Along with the 2k/60 videos I took last time, the total size was 31.2gb of data. My son tends to run the iPhone a lot between rockets which doesn't help.

I'll be running the following.
GoPro8 side view: 1080/240fps
GoPro3 ground view: 720/120fps
iPhone8: 1080/60fps

This time, we launched a cricket/locust in the Supernova. Afterwards, we let him go in the park where he's living out his retirement, assuming he doesn't get eaten by a bird. I'm still hoping to launch a poisonous centipede. Those things are nasty.

I replaced the 4xAA battery pack in the DIY Launcher with 2x9v. I only had one misfire with the starter igniting. We had an interested bystanding join us which is very rare. He seemed to be both amazed and puzzled why two grown men were in the park launching rockets.

I decided to try a new video editor. The free Microsoft version can only do 30fps, so tried a new program, Crazy Video Maker 2 that can do up to 4k and 120fps. Unlike the Microsoft program, the new software can only do /6 instead of /8, not a big difference but noticeable. I increased the iPhone video capture to 4k/60. It took 6 hours to download the videos to my computer. The software worked okay, only crashing once. Fortunately, I didn't lose anything but took 15 minutes for the video to show up.

Another technicality in filming in 4k is that the zoom feature is a sliding scale instead of a simple button. That's fine indoors but outside in the daylight while looking up, it's darn difficult. I don't think I'll try 4k capturing again and just stick with 1080p/60.

I used the replacement SQ11 camera on the Falcon 9 so it can see the side of the rocket. If I don't want to see the rocket, I'll use the FOB camera. The SQ11 video quality is better than the FOB, but the buttons are very sensitive and is easily turned off like it did with the LEO. The battery then failed so couldn't use it again for the other rockets. One advantage for the SQ11 over the FOB is that the audio syncs in the editor.

The weather forecast said it would start raining at 11am. We left at 10am because the park lawn mower was starting to circle us like a shark. As we were driving out of the parking lot, the skies opened up so good timing. The video doesn't do justice to how the Protostar looked going up. It kinda looked like the probe rocket from Wall'e taking off.

Timeline:
00:06 ASM
00:55 Gyproc
01:25 Insectronaut
01:47 Supernova
03:41 Exocet
05:08 Hi-flier L 657ft
06:20 Falcon 9
06:47 Flight video
07:32 LEO
08:15 Protostar

I continue to enjoy your multi view videos (your rockets are also very nicely finished, too.)

Got a kick out of the Gyproc (sic) clone, sounds a little like a medical instrument from Hades!

Glad your passenger did well, definitely no worse for wear,

The Tazz has a plastic ring with tabs attached to rear ejection MM. This keeps the fins straight until the MM is ejected allowing the fins to bend up with the rubber bands. I actually forgot about the Tazz tabs and launched many times with them in the bent position. When I eventually launched with a C6 and fins straight, the rocket decided to go on an adventure. Just gives me a reason to build a new one...
I'm becoming enamored of the idea of setting up the tabs so that there's a slight cant on ascent, which I think should really help. Haven't looked at the instructions, I'm not sure exactly how to do it, but I bet it would be good.

I should buy one of the kits and try it myself, really.
Instead, I have to upload to my OneDrive account and only have 10mbps upload speed.
:shocked:

I did a complete wipe and reset of the phone and seems to transfer files again through the cable. We'll see how long that lasts.

I'm curious if anyone can tell the difference between 1080 and 1440 in the video?

I'm becoming enamored of the idea of setting up the tabs so that there's a slight cant on ascent, which I think should really help. Haven't looked at the instructions, I'm not sure exactly how to do it, but I bet it would be good.

I should buy one of the kits and try it myself, really.

:shocked:
Will likely DQ rocket for camera flights!

Chris M. (hcmbanjo) made an interesting observation about the Tazz today in his blog:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/
Yes, happened to my Tazz. On the Gyroc clone, I just used masking tape for hinges. Seems to be more flexible than the sticker method. Easy to repair later...

On the Tazz’s second flight, the side busted out also. If there’s too much resistance with the MM, the pressures gotta go somewhere.

That’s a rare bird......the SWAT, AND the resultant cockatiel fricassee.....lost my ancient SWAT a few years ago in a shop fire, with various other vintage Estes builds

https://images.app.g
That’s a rare bird......the SWAT, AND the resultant cockatiel fricassee.....lost my ancient SWAT a few years ago in a shop fire, with various other vintage Estes builds
What's surprising is that I reinforced the edges with thin CA. You'd think the floor-gloss, paint, and CA would be unappealing to chew on.

I'm filling in the missing sections with filler. Just more battle scars...

I kinda like it spinning up. I’ll use a C6-3 next time. It might add wear to the fins but not as much wear as the rear ejection charge on the BT, so I’m not worried, yet.

The balsa nose on the Shuttle seems undignified. Couldn’t they just blow mold a NC that we can stuff with clay?

8C56CE40-2173-4713-A91E-8C411DC3618E.jpeg

I have the parts assembled for the Shuttle external tank. Is it better to paint the tank and the boosters separately then glue together, or should I glue and paint? I prefer to paint separately but not sure if gluing the painted parts is advisable.

I have the parts assembled for the Shuttle external tank. Is it better to paint the tank and the boosters separately then glue together, or should I glue and paint? I prefer to paint separately but not sure if gluing the painted parts is advisable.
You shouldn't glue to the painted surface. However, you can mask off the spots that will be joined with glue, or else scrape/sand off those bits after painting. I would go the mask route.

Yep, I masked the glue lines with thin tape then sprayed.
Glue and fillet then come back with a brush for any missed spots.
Spray painting after assembly will be difficult, the inner areas will be impossible to reach.

Back