Updated SR-71 Blackbird R/C rocket glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, my previous version of the SR-71 I did, the "Habu" kit, used some special 3-d printed parts that were expensive and difficult to source in quantity, it also was a bit heavier that I preferred so I kept trying to figure out a simple way to do another SR-71 version that didn't use special parts and this week I finally had time to flesh it out. I think it looks quite nice, is a nice large 1/32 scale at 39.5" long and came out at a very light 11.25 oz ready to fly. Hope you like it.

IMG_20211005_165408909.jpgIMG_20211005_165436581_2.jpgIMG_20211005_165109494_2.jpg

Hi all, my previous version of the SR-71 I did, the "Habu" kit, used some special 3-d printed parts that were expensive and difficult to source in quantity, it also was a bit heavier that I preferred so I kept trying to figure out a simple way to do another SR-71 version that didn't use special parts and this week I finally had time to flesh it out. I think it looks quite nice, is a nice large 1/32 scale at 39.5" long and came out at a very light 11.25 oz ready to fly. Hope you like it.

View attachment 484442View attachment 484443View attachment 484444
Beautiful!

That looks GORGEOUS!!!

I wonder if it'd be possible to mod mine (unbuilt) old one to get these 3D effects? Perhaps when I get back stateside to my kit we could collaborate?

You know in reality if you look from the side or the front only about 20-30% of the nacekke is underneath the wing it's mostly top-sided. I would think if you tried to put the rest of the tube on the bottom side that's all on the back end and the equivalent nose weight that you'll need to in the front the thing wouldn't fly worth a damn. The early version only glided for about 40 seconds with an E6 with an extra ounce of tubing and at least three quarters of an ounce of nose weight it wouldn't be able to lift it and you'd be stuck with e-20s which don't boost it as high as even the E6 used to.

In reality when it's gliding overhead you just see the profile anyway.

Frank

That looks GORGEOUS!!!

I wonder if it'd be possible to mod mine (unbuilt) old one to get these 3D effects? Perhaps when I get back stateside to my kit we could collaborate?

That looks GORGEOUS!!!

There are some parts I can figure out just by looking at it... and others that I would love to have explained to me. Do you plan to share your secrets? Are there instructions somewhere? Is there something similar to look at?

Go to dynasoarrocketrycom scroll down and click on the blackbird pic and that will take you to the directions wirh build photos, should be able to see what's what.

There are some parts I can figure out just by looking at it... and others that I would love to have explained to me. Do you plan to share your secrets? Are there instructions somewhere? Is there something similar to look at?

Excellent, thank you! For some reason I didn't realize you'd made it a kit.

Looking great, Frank. Adding a chine to a nose cone is how we did the early test versions of the HobbyLab SR-71 that were mostly flat balsa surfaces and tubing.

Thanks, the original cones I could get were of more of a thin milk jug type plastic that I still use for the smaller kits due to weight, but I don't think glue really adheres to it and that worried me, so I went with the YF-12 design, now that I can get some thicker more normal styrene plastic I decided to give it a shot.

Looking great, Frank. Adding a chine to a nose cone is how we did the early test versions of the HobbyLab SR-71 that were mostly flat balsa surfaces and tubing.

Back