Update: Loki Research Motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loki

Reaction score
Certified!

The H144, I305, and J528 reloads have been tested and certified for consumer use by Tripoli Motor Testing.

Here's a wRASP/RocSim .eng file with the H144, I305 and J528 motors. Happy flying!

Hang in there Jeff before you know it this "ordeal" will be over. I had a chance to look over the reloads recently, love the adjustable delay.

per RMR:

The motors are 38mm H144-17A, I305-17A & J528-17A. The 17 is the max delay setting. Loki has an adjustment tool to set the delays to 5, 8 & 11 seconds.

TMT certifies new motors by a new manufacturer - WAY TO GO JEFF!

www.lokiresearch.com

Nice motors!

This may just get me back into HPR.

Has anyone used the ARTS? Looks sweet to me.

Patrick

I have about 10 flights on mine.
Gives you lots of data & fun to play with.
You can even get a thrust curve from it with the right input.

I highly recommend it ( I have 3 myself).

JD

Originally posted by iceage
Nice motors!

This may just get me back into HPR.

Not yet. Just picked it up at Loki HQ on Saturday. Thought I'd save me the shipping since I'm 5 miles away. Ended up paying CT sales tax instead. Ah well, the governor will probably need it to make bail.

I got it for simultaneous baro and accel speed measures. I want to *know* when I broke Mach. Comes with the download widget and software too.

Congrats Jeff, looking forward to seeing those loads at our field.

Congratulations, Jeff.

Nice product you have there, and very well thought out. Good luck to you and the rest of the Loki family.

Todd

Congratulations Jeff !!!!

It is great to have more choices out there and your product seems to fit what most people look for.
Good Luck.

I do have a few questions about your reloads:
The TRA certification memo states the delay times are 5, 8, 11, 14, 17.
Your instructions say 5, 8, 10, 13, 17.
Which is correct?

Also - I believe you also stated you can use the Pro38 DAT for delay adjustment. The marked times on that tool are -3, -5, -7, -9 seconds. These times are accurate for the CTI reloads, but they appear to be different for your reloads.
I assume the -3 is the same and gives a 14 second delay. The -5 is really -6 to give an 11 second delay. The -7 is really -9 on your reloads to give the 8 second delay. And the Pro38 -9 mark really gives a -12 on your reloads for the 5 second delay.
Sorry to be picky - just trying to make sure I understand your product.
Thanks

Congrats Jeff!

Good questions Greg, and btw congrats on your L2! Saw the flight, it was a beauty!

Jeff - by any chance did you find out about the flier making their own motor cases? I have a 15" 38mm waiting for a J528 ;) or maybe a J1001!!!

Originally posted by iceage
Nice motors!

Patrick

Yes, its a great unit! Very, very configurable.

Originally posted by Gregzo
Congratulations Jeff !!!!

It is great to have more choices out there and your product seems to fit what most people look for.
Good Luck.

I do have a few questions about your reloads:
The TRA certification memo states the delay times are 5, 8, 11, 14, 17.
Your instructions say 5, 8, 10, 13, 17.
Which is correct?

Also - I believe you also stated you can use the Pro38 DAT for delay adjustment. The marked times on that tool are -3, -5, -7, -9 seconds. These times are accurate for the CTI reloads, but they appear to be different for your reloads.
I assume the -3 is the same and gives a 14 second delay. The -5 is really -6 to give an 11 second delay. The -7 is really -9 on your reloads to give the 8 second delay. And the Pro38 -9 mark really gives a -12 on your reloads for the 5 second delay.
Sorry to be picky - just trying to make sure I understand your product.
Thanks

Testing at Loki Research gave times of 5,8,10,13, and 17 seconds. Those numbers are averages of many tests and are rounded off. The actual value for "M" was more like 10.4 +- 0.3 seconds.

When TMT tested they came up with slightly different numbers, which is not surprizing at all. Pyrotechnic delays have some natural variation and they are also dependant on atmospheric conditions. I'm actually quite pleased that the TMT numbers came out as close as they did to our numbers.

The Pro-DAT and the Loki-DAT are the same tool, but as you point out the times are not the same. The CTI delays burn at a different rate than the Loki delays. You can use your Pro-DAT with Loki reloads, so if you already have a Pro-DAT there is no need to buy a Loki-DAT. Look at a Pro-DAT tool and you'll see that the label only goes about halfway around it. This leaves room to put a Loki label with the XS S M L markings on the otherside. I'll be happy to provide the labels to anyone who wants one.

The XS, S, M, L, and XL designations give us the flexibility to define the times differently for different reloads. For the H144, I305 and J529 reloads XL=17, L=13, M=10, S=8, and XS=5. But future loads, perhaps using a different propellant, might have XL=15, L=13, M=11, S=9, XS=7.

Thanks Jeff - that clears it up for me.

Hopefully I'll be launching your H144 and J528 this weekend @ CMASS.

Keep us posted as you get new propellant formulations going. A J1001 just makes me itchy all over to launch!!!!!

Back